Electronics • Lithium Ion 12 Volt Battery Pack (cheap and safe)

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Lithium Ion 12 Volt Battery Pack (cheap and safe)

Postby bildad » Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Gone
Last edited by bildad on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I'll have money, money isn't easy come by, by the time its come by, I'll be gone!
PB: Flathead 84cm, Blue Salmon 66cm, Jew 48cm, Grunter 45cm,Trevally 43cm, Bass 40cm, Coral Trout 38cm, Mangrove Jack 30cm, Bream 25cm, Fingermark 20cm
bildad
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outfitter

Re: Lithium Ion 12 Volt Battery Pack (cheap and safe)

Postby wilson191 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:36 pm

Great post. I found this really helpfull. What do you out the battery holder in? Is it true that li-ion battery explode when they get water in them? Someone mentioned it to me and my li-ion batteries for my drills etc have been rained on pleanty and also left out over night in pouring rain and they still work.
alotofpeoplereadthisandthenrealsietheywastedtheirtime.
wilson191

Kayak: malibu pro explorer

Postby MrX » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks bildad - Interesting.

"I have been using the blue Lithium packs which have worked well, though more recently I have turned to 18650 Lithium Ion cells as they can be used for more applications other than just running a Fish Finder."

I have been using the blue lithium packs for 18 months now, and can't fault them.

I use those 18650's to power a couple of high-powered head torches, and like them too.
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=18650+headlamp&_sop=15

Curious as to why you choose to put together a group of 18650's to power your sounder, rather than use the readymade blue pack - given the packs are cheaper, already circuit protected, easy to use (even for us electronics dummies) and come with a charger?

"Is it true that li-ion battery explode when they get water in them?"

Wilson, the "explodo" thing started as a joke, and turned into a Chinese whisper a while back. I think Andrew Johns may have been involved (after a few beers). Keep in mind: your laptop is powered by the same li-ion battery pack. As are most of your power tools, and your shark shield. The li-ions in your VHF, phone and camera are a bit smaller. If you are worried about lithium explosions, charge all in your rechargeable electrical devices in your fire place, or in a fireproof sack. Like all batteries, if you get li-ions wet, they might die.
'FISH
...OR
CUT BAIT'

Yak PB's: Manly Jetcat (true!); 93cm Spotted Mackerel; 92cm Spanish Mackerel; 85cm Kingfish; 77.5cm Snapper; 73cm Aussy Salmon; 70cm Amberjack; 64cm Bonito; 60cm Groper (released); 59cm Taylor; 51cm Silver Trevally; 1m + Bronze Whaler; 127cm Hairtail; 1.5m+ Hammerhead
MrX
Elite Member

Kayak: Revo and Fisha

Postby bildad » Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 am

MrX wrote:Thanks bildad - Interesting.

Curious as to why you choose to put together a group of 18650's to power your sounder, rather than use the readymade blue pack - given the packs are cheaper, already circuit protected, easy to use (even for us electronics dummies) and come with a charger?

Main reason is that stupid little switch on the side of the pack, My FF Transducer cable and battery is contained in a piece of 90mm PVC Pipe and its a bit of a pain having to turn that switch off when not in use, cos you know that little red LED on the pack well it will run your battery down.
The other reason is I can use the cells for other things like the Dolphin Torch Battery Hack and other applications that don;t require 12V.
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=61300&p=644378#p644378
However for ease as you say I would recommend the Blue battery packs for low consumption electronics.
I am like you I don't know why anybody getting into Yak fishing would use SLA batteries, for the ones that already have SLA batteries I wouldn't change until they died.
I might run some tests seeing if they can handle running bilge pumps and aerators.
Someday I'll have money, money isn't easy come by, by the time its come by, I'll be gone!
PB: Flathead 84cm, Blue Salmon 66cm, Jew 48cm, Grunter 45cm,Trevally 43cm, Bass 40cm, Coral Trout 38cm, Mangrove Jack 30cm, Bream 25cm, Fingermark 20cm
bildad
Elite Member

Postby MrX » Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks bildad. Correct answer: "I like to play with batteries".

I know what you mean about the on/off switch, with the light. I use a tiny tupperware container with the clip on lid. The charging connection stays inside, power wire through a small hole in the side, with the waterproof connecter glued to the case. Used polymorph to seal the hole, and protect the external wiring. Unit is solid and watertight when clipped closed. I clip it open for switching on/off, and when charging. The red/black wiring is pretty thin inside the cord, so found it needs protecting.

"I don't know why anybody getting into Yak fishing would use SLA batteries"

Finally convinced my dear old mum to replace her 70's cathode ray telly with a modern flat screen. Wore her down from "Bugger off son, the rank arena works fine".

"I might run some tests seeing if they can handle running bilge pumps and aerators."

I found not enough amps for a bilge pump. See no reason why you can't use them on an aerator. The standard old "D" batteries are frustrating. Might have a play with my 18650's on the weekend.
'FISH
...OR
CUT BAIT'

Yak PB's: Manly Jetcat (true!); 93cm Spotted Mackerel; 92cm Spanish Mackerel; 85cm Kingfish; 77.5cm Snapper; 73cm Aussy Salmon; 70cm Amberjack; 64cm Bonito; 60cm Groper (released); 59cm Taylor; 51cm Silver Trevally; 1m + Bronze Whaler; 127cm Hairtail; 1.5m+ Hammerhead
MrX
Elite Member

Kayak: Revo and Fisha

Postby spork » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:57 am

I'm already using those cells for head torch. Have some extras and a good charger. Will grab a couple of those holders I think. Thanks for a really helpful post. :)

edit:
I note my sounders will operate on 10v to 17v dc. If I used 4 of these battries fully charged = 16.8v, giving me I imagine longer run time. Apart from the cost and (neglible) weight and size difference can you see any problem with doing this?
Last edited by spork on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
spork
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo 13 and Hobie Outback

Postby Barrabundy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:16 am

Given the recent head torch thread, very helpful, thanks for bumping this.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby bildad » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:48 pm

spork wrote:I'm already using those cells for head torch. Have some extras and a good charger. Will grab a couple of those holders I think. Thanks for a really helpful post. :)

edit:
I note my sounders will operate on 10v to 17v dc. If I used 4 of these battries fully charged = 16.8v, giving me I imagine longer run time. Apart from the cost and (neglible) weight and size difference can you see any problem with doing this?

Yep no problem, you can either get a 4 X holder or use 2of 2 X holder in series back to back, if the shape helps.
The charger mentioned in this thread will balance charge, so if you have any broken Lithium tool batteries lying around, bust them apart and you can use the individual 18650s from them. Just remember they are not circuit protected so if you run them too low they may not recharge again but this charger will safely charge them.
bildad
Elite Member

Postby spork » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks mate. Have had mixed success with the blue batteries, this is cheaper and should work a treat.
spork
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo 13 and Hobie Outback

Postby Dave73 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:00 am

Ditto all of the above, this system works great.
Bildad helped me out about 12 months ago, thanks again mate. ;-)
Ocean Blue Fishing Adventures http://oceanbluefishing.com
Trees & Fishes Anglers Lodge Vanuatu http://treesandfishes.com
Dave73
Elite Member

Kayak: RTM Disco...noice

Postby bildad » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 am

Dave73 wrote:Ditto all of the above, this system works great.
Bildad helped me out about 12 months ago, thanks again mate. ;-)

Glad it worked out for ya Dave, bloody hell it was a long haul postage wise ay?
bildad
Elite Member

Postby Redwood » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Guys,

Inspired by this post I've decided to try lithium ion 18650's instead of SLA to power my Garmin 300c. I pulled the pin on 2x 3400mAh Panasonic 18650 and a Nitecore charger. I was hoping that I'd only need two of these for purposes but am now a little unsure if it'll be the correct/enough voltage to power the 300c. I know little to nothing about amps/watts and all that electrical jazz.

I was looking to get one of these to put them in series: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plastic-Batt ... 4897.l5660

And then looking to get some kind of waterproof box to put it all in. Am I on the right track? Appreciate any help.

I was also wondering if something like this would be an option as it already claims to be waterproof - could something like this be connected to the Garmin 300c?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/S ... 53248.html
Redwood

Kayak: Stealth Evo 495

Return to Electronics