Electronics • Move over GoPro - Sony HDR-AS15

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Re: Move over GoPro - Sony HDR-AS15

Postby BIGKEV » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Hey Brad,

I just got myself one of those 'lifeproof' cases for the iPhone, so you could use one of these to do the wifi thing and keep your phone dry if it is a fruity variety.

My reason for the lifeproof is because I have killed so many GPS units the wife is hesitant to let me buy another one so I downloaded the navionics app for the phone and to date have been quite impressed with its functionality. I also bought the arm strap for the lifeproof case too, so that I can keep the phone secure and close at hand. They also do a floating case or you can get a bar mount that you could probably adapt for mounting on the yak somewhere.

In regards to the gopro, i still prefer the extra battery pack and a big sd card. This gives about 4hrs worth of footage anyway and I rarely go out for much longer than that anyway, so almost as funcitonal as operating the unit sporadically with wifi really as I probably wouldn't change settings, just turn on or off.

Kev
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby keza » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm

I have the same case Kev and always have my phone on the yak.
I'll use the phone to make adjustments as the remote is just as small as the info on the camera but bigger on the phone.
Old eyes.
kerry
www.kerrywilson.net www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Postby 123SHARKY123 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:28 am

hey guys its so hard to make a decision between the contour go pro and the sony got some info from surfan fish and you tube it looks like sony has a better quality video and 16mpxl were the others are around 11 mpxl im leaning towards the sony but the go pro looks just as good agh think flip a coin or can some one else share some light
pb Taylor 34 cm 39cm whiting 58 cm flatty 39 cm bream
" A wife & a steady job have ruined many good fisherman"
123SHARKY123
Valued Member

Kayak: hobie outback

Postby Bretto » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am

123SHARKY123 wrote:hey guys its so hard to make a decision between the contour go pro and the sony got some info from surfan fish and you tube it looks like sony has a better quality video and 16mpxl were the others are around 11 mpxl im leaning towards the sony but the go pro looks just as good agh think flip a coin or can some one else share some light

I spoke to someone recently who has tested the Contour, GoPro 2, Sony and JVC action cams courtesy of their employer (JB Hi-FI). Result were:

1. The JVC was very ordinary in comparison to the others
2. Sony's video quality was noticeably the best
3. GoPro had a better mounting system if you're carrying it yourself rather than mounting it to a yak, bike, boat etc... (head mount is central Vs side mount).
4. Didn't really have anything subjective to say on the Contour. My faulty really as I steered the conversation towards the other three units.
5. Advertised battery life in all units is a very rough estimate.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Kayak: Dust Collectors

Postby Squidley » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 pm

I kinda like the side head mount of the Sony. I'd love to get some POV sailing footage but I know the GP would get snagged on the rigging pretty quick, and on my yak I have had the mainsheet give it the odd yank. All that said I can't justify buying a third sports cam just this moment :)
Squidley
Elite Member

Kayak: Yellow Emotion Stealth and Revo 11

Postby andybear » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:18 pm

Great News!

I bought one of these cameras last year, all good, but I would have loved to have a remote to save stretching and messing with the cam, and being able to switch off and on to stretch the battery and memory card to cover an entire trip. Now there is a remote That is touted to drive this camera. Sony RMLVR1 Live view remote for action cam.

I have spent the coin, and await my order, and will air an opinion of the remote, in the (undetermined date here) future.

Cheers all andybear
Hobie Adventure Island (Yellah)
Humminbird 383C
Colorado 400C Humminbird 383c
PB Bream 40cm Estuary Cod 63cm
Snapper 71cm Tailor 37cm
When in trouble, delegate, when in doubt mumble
andybear
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Evo 465 Hobie AI

Postby Plasman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:06 pm

andybear wrote:Great News!

I bought one of these cameras last year, all good, but I would have loved to have a remote to save stretching and messing with the cam, and being able to switch off and on to stretch the battery and memory card to cover an entire trip. Now there is a remote That is touted to drive this camera. Sony RMLVR1 Live view remote for action cam.

I have spent the coin, and await my order, and will air an opinion of the remote, in the (undetermined date here) future.

Cheers all andybear

I use the 'playmemories' app on my smart phone which is waterproof BTW. Not only is it a remote, but acts as a viewfinder as well which is fantastic when setting up the headcam. Once setup though, the big button on the back is fine.
Plasman
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby andybear » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:50 am

Plasman wrote:

Cheers all andybear

I use the 'playmemories' app on my smart phone which is waterproof BTW. Not only is it a remote, but acts as a viewfinder as well which is fantastic when setting up the headcam. Once setup though, the big button on the back is fine.

My phone is a dumbphone!

Cheers andybear :lol: :lol:
Humminbird 383C
Snapper 71cm Tailor 37cm
andybear
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby Plasman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:08 pm

andybear wrote:
Plasman wrote:

Cheers all andybear

My phone is a dumbphone!

Cheers andybear :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Plasman
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby andybear » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi all,
As promised last week, I said I would report on the workability of the remote for this camera. RM-LVR1 I took delivery of it this morning, and had it charging via USB for about 3 hours. Then tried to pair it with the camera........Gah! tearing imaginary tufts of hair from my already bald pate! It would recognise the camera but not actually pair with it. Finally I bit the bullet, and tried the firmware update for the camera (which was not as difficult as I expected) and yes, success! Boots up and pairs straight up now.

All I have to do now is add water, go for a paddle and send fishy video frames to prove that........(hangs head in shame) has still not blooded the kayak that I bought a year ago.

Cheers all andybear :D :D
Humminbird 383C
Snapper 71cm Tailor 37cm
andybear
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Previous