Electronics • Move over GoPro - Sony HDR-AS15

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Move over GoPro - Sony HDR-AS15

Postby paulo » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:23 pm

I just picked up one of these today for $299 in the Sony Store. This is their first release I believe. I couldnt get them cheaper os.
http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-as15
Sony_HDR_AS15_Handling2.jpg

All the specs tend to suggest they are every bit as good as the gopro Hero2 and even out-perform them in some aspects. lens quality, low light performance, weight, shutter speed for super slomo, stereo mic.
They have wifi built in and the smart phone app to configure, control them and even rip video and stills off on the fly is available, unlike the one gopro has been promising. With $140 for the wifi backpack and controller they are also signifigantly cheaper that the gopro
I wonder if they will live up to the hype.
Last edited by paulo on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Qld Member - Hobie State Fishing Team
Yak PBs - 60cm Tailor | 72cm Spangled Emporer | 85cm Flathead | 90cm Yellowfin | 75cm Snapper | 85cm Mac Tuna | 2.5m (78kg) Black Marlin | 1.2m Longtail | 1.32m (19.5kg) Kingfish
paulo
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie AI

Re: Move over GoPro - Sony HDR-AS15

Postby Marty75 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Good buy Paul. Saved yourself about 100 bucks mate!

Let us know how she performs.

Marty
PBs: Kingfish 74cm Bream 41cm Flathead 68cm Tailor 51cm Hammerhead 6ft Salmon 70cm Bonito 56cm Hairtail 95cm Spotted Mackerel 95cm
Hobie Revo Serenity II rigged here
Stealth Evo 465 (ex-IndieDog) rigged here
Marty75
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo_Evo 465

Postby kevinnugent » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Does this have the fisheye effect that the GoPro does (I dislike that aspect of them)?
kevinnugent

Kayak: Hobie PA12

Postby Nativeman » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 pm

Paul

So waiting for your review, it would be a dear option for me as I would have to buy the camera and an i Phone....this might be the reason why I need one.
AKFF is totally ....
Nativeman
Legendary Member

Kayak: ...

Postby Nbh00d » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Saw a few youtube video comparing both products and there is no doubt that the Sony performs better in low light situation. This can meant better video quality during sunrise & sunset period when we are on the water. The other thing I notice is the Sony seems to also have the upper hand on the stability mode.
Nbh00d
Valued Member

Kayak: Owned a few Hobies yak - now got a Polycraft 480

Postby ozfactory » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:49 pm

So for $299 it came with the water proof housing?
ozfactory

Kayak: Revo

Postby Bretto » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm

I wonder what the expected battery life is?
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Kayak: Dust Collectors

Postby paulo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm

WP housing, two stick on mounts and the wp housing has a std tripod mount.
Sony youtube vid said battery life close to 3hrs. The box says 140mins.
It only shoots in NTSC, No PAL
No 2 sec interval on multishot stills
It says only 2megapixel stills. That seems very low when handheld wp cameras are at 16.
Sel, you dont need an iphone, android works fine.
Paul
Yak PBs - 60cm Tailor | 72cm Spangled Emporer | 85cm Flathead | 90cm Yellowfin | 75cm Snapper | 85cm Mac Tuna | 2.5m (78kg) Black Marlin | 1.2m Longtail | 1.32m (19.5kg) Kingfish
paulo
Elite Member

Postby RedPhoenix » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:27 am

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWb9dyWAAABRbgAAQUIWAClgKP+/+oCAAaEUemkNNNB6IPUZNNASqn7UjEMo0NGjaIeiLcIGc2JRQxClaRKRta3uBBbIbEJT9AN4FBdTN5qm9mWWDV3RmP1dsRVNHEiN/ldK0hWGzR64k3dky/cmFcyfBWEjSWRecW5wwpWu8yePNXerRd0POCwP4u5IpwoSF+u5LAA==
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby keza » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:38 am

Hero3
kerry
www.kerrywilson.net www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Postby paulo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:29 am

indiedog wrote:Great video Kez.

The Sony seems to lack a little in the stills department. 2MP is not much. Polarizer available for it Paulo?

Brad, not that I know of. Yes the stills capability (lack of) is amazing given its competitors and the available technology. I never use that feature so didnt worry. I was more interested in the included wifi but to be honest, without the waterproof one touch remote gopro has, its fairly useless for what we do. Who has the time to dick round with a smartphone when there's a rampaging foe on the other end of the line?
After a couple of goes I find it a better quality video than the H2 but after having read the specs for the imminent GoPro Hero 3 last night, I would be saving my shekels for one of those. Even at $399 the Black model looks worth the upgrade for all the new features.
The three model range sux. I suspect its a matter of a software upgrade from bottom to top model. :? :twisted:
I have shied away from Apple products for this reason and here I am being milked by GoPro <sigh>
Paul
paulo
Elite Member

Postby Bretto » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:02 pm

paulo wrote:...Even at $399 the Black model looks worth the upgrade for all the new features.

That's the yankie price. The chances of your stock retail store doing the GPH3 Black for that price are pretty remote I reckon.

I'm tossing up whether to wait after seeing that clip. Although there is probably some post capture editing done, the quality would still be amazing. I wonder when they'll be available in Australia.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Kayak: Dust Collectors

Postby keza » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 pm

I've only just been given my H2 (birthday from group of friends) and haven't tried it on the yak yet.
I'm waiting to get the wifi back first. The phone will be good for checking your framing but then just use the remote.
Coming from a stills background, I'm attracted to the time lapse. I tried it whilst away and reduced the size to 5mp.
I think I reduced the quality a bit much before uploading but here you go:

kerry

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Postby BIGKEV » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Hey Brad,

I just got myself one of those 'lifeproof' cases for the iPhone, so you could use one of these to do the wifi thing and keep your phone dry if it is a fruity variety.

My reason for the lifeproof is because I have killed so many GPS units the wife is hesitant to let me buy another one so I downloaded the navionics app for the phone and to date have been quite impressed with its functionality. I also bought the arm strap for the lifeproof case too, so that I can keep the phone secure and close at hand. They also do a floating case or you can get a bar mount that you could probably adapt for mounting on the yak somewhere.

In regards to the gopro, i still prefer the extra battery pack and a big sd card. This gives about 4hrs worth of footage anyway and I rarely go out for much longer than that anyway, so almost as funcitonal as operating the unit sporadically with wifi really as I probably wouldn't change settings, just turn on or off.

Kev
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby keza » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:29 pm

I have the same case Kev and always have my phone on the yak.
I'll use the phone to make adjustments as the remote is just as small as the info on the camera but bigger on the phone.
Old eyes.
kerry

yak pb's
keza
Legendary Member

Next

Return to Electronics