Electronics • Iphone 4. Apps recommendations

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Re: Iphone 4. Apps recommendations

Postby Barrabundy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Sent LatLong doesn't allow you to name your saved waypoints once you upgrade to ios7, well it doesn't on my phone.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby anselmo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Columbia GPS pal is one i've been trying
Pretty good and its free
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Barrabundy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:08 pm

anselmo wrote:Columbia GPS pal is one i've been trying
Pretty good and its free

What's it do?

Can you save a location, name it and then use your phone to go back to it?

Is the map orientation north up or does the map rotate to direction of travel orientation.
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Barrabundy wrote:
anselmo wrote:Columbia GPS pal is one i've been trying
Pretty good and its free

What's it do?

Can you save a location, name it and then use your phone to go back to it?

Is the map orientation north up or does the map rotate to direction of travel orientation.

Um, it tracks you using GPS!

Basically you set it to track you (i.e. it will draw a line on the map of your prgress using GPS), then when you're ata point you see something you can make a note, take a photo or record a video and it geo tags that

I think the north is always up
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby Barrabundy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Ok, gotcha. what I have use for is an app which will let me quickly mark a spot I'm at, usually some random place around the farm where there's a weed in the middle of a paddock. I want to be able to label that waypoint with a name that tells me which which block of cane it refers to. I then want to be able to walk/drive to any of the spots I've marked.
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:32 am

Barrabundy wrote:Ok, gotcha. what I have use for is an app which will let me quickly mark a spot I'm at, usually some random place around the farm where there's a weed in the middle of a paddock. I want to be able to label that waypoint with a name that tells me which which block of cane it refers to. I then want to be able to walk/drive to any of the spots I've marked.

this will do that
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby Barrabundy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Couldn't find the Columbia GPS one so bought one that rated highly on one of the outdoor forums, Motion X GPS HD. Looks the goods but when I went to transfer it from my iPad to my phone I was disappointed to find that the version I bought is iPad only....BUGGER,
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Barrabundy wrote:Couldn't find the Columbia GPS one so bought one that rated highly on one of the outdoor forums, Motion X GPS HD. Looks the goods but when I went to transfer it from my iPad to my phone I was disappointed to find that the version I bought is iPad only....BUGGER,

http://gpspal.columbia.com/

There you go Mr Bugger

Link to the app store on their page
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby Barrabundy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:36 am

Thanks for that.....and it's free too!
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 am

Barrabundy wrote:Thanks for that.....and it's free too!

Free = Good :twisted:
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby Afrayedknot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Fish Assist App

Just downloaded an App called Fish Assist. It is basically a fish measuring and identifying device using the camera of your iphone. I haven't used it on an actual fish, but tested it on a few objects and found its accuracy to be within 5mm (the accuracy is apparently based on how well you calibrate it in the settings at the beginning).

The app works by you standing over your fish and holding your iphone at belly button height and then taking a pic of the fish. After this it places the pic of your fish next to a "best match" scrollable list of fish to assist you identifying it if you are unsure of what it is. Once you have identified the fish by tapping on it, you will be given information pertaining to the species common names, legal size restrictions per state, individual and mixed bag limits, *closed seasons, *protected areas, *protected species. *Note: in order to get information on the "mixed bag limits" and "closures and protected areas" you will need an internet connection - considering how remote people fish its a pity that they cant just have this information available on hand so you don't need an internet connection, hopefully they can change this and if Fisheries updates its info then a simple App update should keep everyone current.

The App also has links to share the pics of your fish on various social media sites. There are also a few basic step-by-step fishing knots (5 in total) for those that need reference.

Unfortunately the App for some reason does not cover the NT or TAS???

For kayak fisherman I think the biggest shortcoming is the way in which the App "measures" your fish - I don't see many people standing on their kayak holding their iphone at their belly button trying to measure up their new catch! For boat owners it is obviously a different story, with most kayakers carrying brag mats they are more likely to depend on these for accuracy. Maybe the App could have a built in metric measuring overlay? The App also states that "Fish Assist is for use as a GUIDE ONLY and is not a product of the Department of Fisheries", so legally don't rely on it.

Overall I think the App is good and for its price ($2.99) I cant really complain. I think its biggest benefit will be to those that travel and fish in different states and aren't familiar with the state's legal size restrictions, individual and mixed bag limits, closed seasons, protected areas and protected species.

The App could benefit with a few upgrades such as GPS functionality (maybe incorporate navionics) to mark spots and record different species of fish that you have caught at these spots and their different sizes so you have a data log like a fishing journal. Adding a larger selection of fishing knots to refer to and perhaps even weather and tidal feature (maybe incorporate seabreeze). These are just my thoughts, I am sure everyone else will have their own opinions too...
Afrayedknot

Kayak: Stealth Profisha 475

Previous

Return to Electronics