Anotherone I found cruising the multitude of APPs is Fishabout
http://www.fishabout.com.au/news/articl ... phone-app/
Check it out looks pretty cool.
GoneFishn
Elite Member

Kayak: Prowler Elite Flame Carlisle Speed Wing Paddle

Re: Iphone 4. Apps recommendations

Postby Barrabundy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:33 pm

kraley wrote: I have set up icons bookmarked to.......

Can you explain how you do this as I can see it being a quicker way of doing things (less "clicks") than scrolling through numerous apps trying to find the one you want which still requires another 5 clicks to do what you want.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby Barrabundy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Digger wrote:We were staying with my Sister-In-Law Christmas Eve and she had already got her prezzie (yes bad, I know) and it was an I Pad and next thing she and her husband were sitting on opposite sides of the room playing scrabble with each other, him on his I Phone....Hello?

Er folks, what about the real game?

Everybody has a bloody I Phone! My kids, my grandkids...sh!t I'm starting to feel like I'm deprived because I haven't got one! Son was gonna organise me one through an insurance thing but as usual Optus are being mongrels, so currently I'm maneuvering for one for my birthday next month!

Then I too can sit in a waiting room somewhere looking like a mindless drongo messing with my phone!

Dig

Don't worry my parents are the same.

I'm forever being asked questions about things like superfund balances, product information, recording missed episodes of their favourite tv shows, weather forecasts etc and I'm always telling them it's all at their finger tips if they know where to look online. The problem is they lack the confidence to have a good go and they see my kids and I being mindless drongos with our gadgets and they assume that it's all bad.

Bit by bit they're starting to use technology such as looking up river height bulletins, doing their banking and keeping in contact with travel companions around the world. They travel quite a bit and were recently down your way and were almost stranded by flooded roads and immediately saw how having access to internet while mobile could help in that sort of situation. Dad also saw, via my sisters facebook, video of some jobs I'd finished since he left and was amazed I could shoot some video and share it from my phone so easily and commented on how useful that sort of technology was. Over the last few days we've had moderate flooding and I've been explaining that, while facebook activity is mainly about being a mindless drongo, it has other uses such as finding out from the local disaster management group which roads are open etc.

While I'm addicted to my phone, I am quite happy to leave it at home over a weekend and not miss it. I think your attitude and confidence with technology is often a product of your experience with it during your lifetime. If you welded pipes during your working life you'd find you wouldn't have had need for it although you could have used it if you wanted to. If you worked in retail you may have been forced to use the technology as it was adopted and would find using it outside work would come second nature.

Whatever the case I reckon you'll find a smart phone very handy if you use it for things that make your life "easier" rather than just using it because everyone else is and they keep telling you you need to too.

Sorry, wasn't intending to produce such a rant.
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby GMansfish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Well said Barra, nothing to apologize about.

Very handy app is the Apple App, Numbers Spreadsheet, easier to use than excel. Good for lists and quantities when working out in the bush. Concrete for footings etc. Import to excel (email) with no problems so far.
GMansfish

Got to take the dog for a walk.Nothing to do with solo trip reports.
GMansfish

Kayak: viking nemo feelin blue+AI seein red

Postby Barrabundy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:51 pm

GMansfish wrote:Very handy app is the Apple App, Numbers Spreadsheet, easier to use than excel. Good for lists and quantities when working out in the bush. Concrete for footings etc. Import to excel (email) with no problems so far.

Which one exactly?

Don't worry, found it, the $10.49 one is it?
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby TheFishinMusician » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Barrabundy wrote:

Can you explain how you do this as I can see it being a quicker way of doing things (less "clicks") than scrolling through numerous apps trying to find the one you want which still requires another 5 clicks to do what you want.

Ken's talking about making direct links to webpages such as akff appear as icons on your homescreen
when viewing a webpage in safari push the action button ( the rectangle with the arrow sticking out of it) & halfway down the list it will say "Add to Home Screen"
touch that & you will get the webpage you are currently viewing as an icon in the next available space on the phone.
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Kayak: Blatmobile

Postby Barrabundy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:09 pm

The Fishin' Musician wrote:
Barrabundy wrote:

Ken's talking about making direct links to webpages such as akff appear as icons on your homescreen
when viewing a webpage in safari push the action button ( the rectangle with the arrow sticking out of it) & halfway down the list it will say "Add to Home Screen"
touch that & you will get the webpage you are currently viewing as an icon in the next available space on the phone.

Thanks, I knew that's what he meant and that's exactly what I want to do, didn't even know you could do that.

I wonder how many other things my phone can do that I don't know about? I should ask my son, he was showing me what the latest version of OS does after I told him I couldn't notice any difference!
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby GMansfish » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:05 am

It is called "Numbers" , may have come down in price, since I got it was close to $15.00 last year. Use it like calculator, with formulas.
GMansfish

GMansfish

Postby Barrabundy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Trails - GPS Tracker, anyone used it? Sounds like it turns your device into a GPS logger so you can log where you've been and then look at it on a map when you're finished.

Is there anything else availalable that is similar to this one?
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby GMansfish » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:45 am

Barra, not seen trails gps tracker, but I have MotionX-GPS this records track and plus a few other features , geo-tag photos , drag and drop waypoints etc. with good selection of maps, topo and road etc, about 8 styles of map.

Chews up a lot of battery if used constantly, if you had quality in car charger might solve that, the longest I have run it is about 3 hours and got down to 50 or so percent battery. Have record car tracks and walking does good job, even in poor signal areas, must try it in no phone signal areas .

There is numerous other apps for gps , this was reasonably cheap, interested to find out what else anybody uses.
GMansfish

GMansfish

Postby Barrabundy » Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Bouncing this for the sake of updates/new apps.

Also, should we have a separate topic for apps in general?

One thing I'll comment on is the tide app I use called Tucabo Tide Planner. I think I've mentioned on here somewhere that there were discrepancies of up to half an hour with the time of the highs and lows of the tides. I was in a bad mood one day so contacted the company and told them their app was shit and I could get accurate info from BOM for free and wouldn't be paying for any more updates.

They got back to me and wanted specific information of which dates and places were inaccurate. After giving the,maths info, they sent me back a chart which was like a screen shot of their app with the BOM tide curve superimposed over the curve from their app. The curves were identical to look at but the timing was out by a consistent amount for each point in time (form the date I supplied) They said that BOM will only supply certain parts of their data and that the company had to best guess the modelling to come up with what they supplied in the app. I was surprised they were interested enough to get in touch and give an explanation.

Any new apps out there useful to AKFFers?
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Thu May 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Downcast - for downloading, managing and listening to podcasts
Recommend "The Itinerant Angler" and "Ask about Fly-Fishing"
TIA had 2 even better than usual ones recently - one about polarised sunnglasses and one about gore-tex

Navfree - great free map and GPS app - I have the UK and ROI one and also downloaded a Portugal one for holidays

App of the Day - a free app every day - lots of rubbish games but occasionally something useful

Itimelapse - good for recording speeded up trips to fishing spots

digital(-) - captures photos in RAW - one for the photo heads here
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Squidley » Thu May 09, 2013 11:46 pm

+1 for Downcast (Uhh Yeah Dude is a fine podcast)
+5 for Navionics
And Ziggurat is a great game

Speaking of Navionics, can anyone comment on how the app's chart compares with one they've seen or purchased for a chart plotter? The disparity in price seems odd; $15 for the app and about ten times that for the second-tier map. Not sure if it's a market thing (selling the same thing to boat owners with deep pockets) or if the standalone maps are way more detailed.

Another thing, since the Navionics app stores charts on the phone, you can use it in flight mode as only the GPS function's required. Anyone do this and observe a big improvement in battery life? I'll do a test this weekend and see how I go.
Squidley
Elite Member

Kayak: Yellow Emotion Stealth and Revo 11

Postby anselmo » Fri May 10, 2013 12:47 am

Squidley wrote:+1 for Downcast (Uhh Yeah Dude is a fine podcast)
+5 for Navionics
And Ziggurat is a great game

Speaking of Navionics, can anyone comment on how the app's chart compares with one they've seen or purchased for a chart plotter? The disparity in price seems odd; $15 for the app and about ten times that for the second-tier map. Not sure if it's a market thing (selling the same thing to boat owners with deep pockets) or if the standalone maps are way more detailed.

Another thing, since the Navionics app stores charts on the phone, you can use it in flight mode as only the GPS function's required. Anyone do this and observe a big improvement in battery life? I'll do a test this weekend and see how I go.

I'd be interested in seeing if that happens
anselmo
Legendary Member

Postby anselmo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Barrabundy wrote:Bouncing this for the sake of updates/new apps.

Any new apps out there useful to AKFFers?
anselmo
Legendary Member

PreviousNext

Return to Electronics