Electronics • Reading your sounder - a primer

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Re: Reading your sounder - a primer

Postby Marineside » Tue May 11, 2010 5:16 pm

Here are a few more images from my cuda 300:

Loboloco

Can you tell me what settings you set your your cuda 300 on, i have the same unit & do you resett every time you go out?
Catchemifyacan
Marineside
Valued Member

Kayak: HOBIE outback

Postby LoboLoco » Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey marineside,
I have all of my settings on auto and adjust them untill I get a clear image, but my senestivity is usually between 80-100%, speed is about 50-70% because im going slow and the others don't get changed too much

Cheers
loboloco
LoboLoco
Valued Member

Kayak: Single sit-on-top kayak

Postby Bruteal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:44 am

Great info here guys!! I have acouple of questions though:
When i eventually get one, which one should i get? and should i get colour or B&W?
Bruteal

Kayak: Pacer

Postby Ranger » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:34 pm

Bruteal wrote:When i eventually get one, which one should i get? and should i get colour or B&W?

Wow, that one's gonna have a varied range of answers!

I'd suggest, if you've never had a sounder before, start with b&w. Learn the basics on that, then consider moving up to colour if you think you will benefit from this extra feature.

Which one? The one with the highest power output and highest number of vertical pixels which falls within your allocated budget.
Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes!
Ranger
Elite Member

Kayak: HOBIE OUTBACK-Stress Therapy

Postby GlenelgKiller » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 pm

Sorry to bump this one up from so long ago but it is probably where this question belongs....

Im brand new to sounders and just fitted one to the yak. Have had one paddle with it and have what is a really basic question. What is it that im looking at?? By that i mean i can see seabed scrolling through my screen but im not sure if thats whats in front of me, immediately below, behind, to the sides..... How exactly do these things work? Cheers.
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie PA12 and Tarpon 100

Postby RedPhoenix » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 am

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWRKgeIgAABtfgAAQQAf9EBAgEAqv796wIACEGkU8UxNPSYnppNo1M2pkCVT9SamT9U9T0TQNqGCZGL/aEkrHh6KJTmcBhQ1Cbrgei+tgp481ev0dULwgoM1WdBG2EmJDwLWxvhJfjhvLSqZKhDTfflBfLJhwuBG2w/i40dhGJIqQ3VGv4riibZE6nkGcUUWlLOZ45MPYtsmY7kYWHTUdVCBTLcXckU4UJASoHiIA
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby GlenelgKiller » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks Red. Have done some reading around and found the below quote. This was the bit i didnt really get, what is scrolling across my screen when im stationary.

Each time a new echo is received, the old echoes are moved across the screen creating a scrolling effect on the screen.
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie PA12 and Tarpon 100

Postby Foxxy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm a year behind the times but wanted to thank the many for all the great info. Also suspect having this one refreshed might help some other sounder numpties!
PB (OK, don't laugh, I'm working on it): Snapper 47cm, Tarpon 50cm, Flathead 60cm, Bream 43cm, Tailor 40cm
Foxxy

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby Pilch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 am

Better late than never hey?!
This has been a very helpful thread to read through from start to finish. I have been using many different sounders in different boats for over twenty years now but still do not consider myself an expert, and still learn heaps from others input and pictures (thanks guys).
Here is a picture of my Furuno in my stink boat showing what turned out to be a school of King George Whiting holding on the bottom in the last meter or so of the water column. You can see that the sounder is set to manual gain (5.7) and in split screen with bottom zoom on the left. I have dialled the gain down after seeing the "cloud" near the bottom in amongst a lot of other noise at higher gain setting to separate the school from the noise. We also caught two squid over the school which may be one of the small blue dots (remember, gain is low) about 3-4m above the whiting.
BTW, this Furuno sounder is the best sounder I have ever owned. I used them a lot for setting cray pots as an amateur when I lived in the lower SE (SA) and had the benefit of some great coaching on their use by some professional fishermen who were good mates. It was more about bottom soundings than finding fish in those days and with practice it was easy to tell limestone from granite structure and tell the difference between soft corals, cork weed, sponges, etc. The bottom lock feature is also a great tool especially on rough days out, and mixed with the ability to interpret the type of bottom by colour alone, I could always find a few limestone ledges to drop the pots on.
I also run a top end Humminbird DSI/SCI combo unit now which has opened up a whole new world of sounding but I still find myself glancing over at the Furuno to confirm what the flash new unit is telling me.
I have just bought a little colour Lowrance Elite 4x for my new Outback and am really looking forward to getting it installed and seeing how the displayed info compares to the bigger units.
Attachments
DSC01555.jpg
Whiting school on the bottom
Pilch

Kayak: Hobie Outback - Ivory Dune

Postby Pilch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:13 am

And this was a tightly packed school of pinky snapper (not sure if the line coming up from the bottom was the burley pot or a hooked fish??)
Attachments
IMG_8922.jpg
Small Snapper tightly packed
IMG_8922.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
Pilch

Postby TheFishinMusician » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:29 pm

went out testing my new sounder install (lowrance elite 4 dsi) & i'm happy to say it works a good as i expected :D
structure is awesome.

2 potential issues,
1 - ill have to get used to looking harder for fish as they dont show up as arches, however you do get better ground seperation. i recon i can see fish in the first 2 shots.
2- the screen is really glossy & a bit hard to see in direct sunlight (screen protector ordered)

DSCF2703.JPG
that's a 12m high tree

DSCF2705.JPG
tree lying down

DSCF2706.JPG
trunk

DSCF2707.JPG
another tree
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Kayak: Blatmobile

Postby Pilch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Those DSI shots look great.
Pilch

Postby aussiestu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 pm

here's one from the weekend, it's actually fairly flat ground the contours shown are from the swell and chop, shows a school of bait (packed so dense it's showing up as red), was getting hammered by tuna (showing up just above the lower bait school and also a few below the top bait ball) and I also pulled a snapper and couple of sweetlip (looks like these could be the blue/green returns at the bottom) from the bottom.
Attachments
Teewah screenshot.jpg
Teewah screenshot.jpg (125.4 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
aussiestu

Kayak: Dreamcatcher 2 + Perception Swing

Postby YakDonga » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 am

Hey guys,

This is from the Blackwood river on the weekend. Top half is sonar with downscan overlay, bottom is just downscan. First time I have used a sounder off the yak so was playing with settings.

So this shot I am presuming is a school of small tarwhine, as that's all I was catching when fishing at that time. Look about right?
Attachments
sounder.jpg
YakDonga

Kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer13 Propel OK Prowler 4.1

Postby YakDonga » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 am

I couldn't catch anything off this one. I was pretty stationary in the yak and the school seemed to come and go.

Im guessing small bait fish?
Attachments
sounder2.jpg
YakDonga

Kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer13 Propel OK Prowler 4.1

PreviousNext

Return to Electronics