Electronics • Reading your sounder - a primer

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

Re: Reading your sounder - a primer

Postby YakDonga » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:11 am

This one I didn't catch anything on either.

It looks to me like small bait fish on top, with some bigger fish underneath? Would the ground be relatively hard there?

Sensitivity on all these for the sonar was turned down to about 33%. It had no interference on the screen normally, until something came up underneath it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from someone who could shed more light on what the screenshots would be?
Attachments
sounder4.jpg
YakDonga

Kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer13 Propel OK Prowler 4.1

Postby scater » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:38 am

Hi Yakdonga, I'd agree with all of your guesses.
Cheers, Sam

if you are the type of w$&ker that can't let it go for some reason I'd be more than happy for you to PM me for my address so I can head butt your F$&king face off. Fatbaldkayaker
scater
Legendary Member

Kayak: Pro Fisha 475

Postby YakDonga » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:05 pm

scater wrote:Hi Yakdonga, I'd agree with all of your guesses.

Thanks mate :)
YakDonga

Kayak: Native Watercraft Slayer13 Propel OK Prowler 4.1

Postby Geoffw » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:42 pm

What a great thread. I have been recently thinking about a thread on sounder pics as when new to a sounder they do seem to be difficult to read. When I got mine first I turned on fish id and got frustrated at the sounder saying lots of fish below and me not catching. Turned of the id and immediately felt better. Still didn't catch fish though! I looked just for arches thinking that was a better way of finding fish and not seeing arches and not catching fish made me feel a lot better. I saw them only once sitting over a reef and knew they were a pair of snapper and still didn't catch them. WTF! Lots of learning to be done. A lot of other lines and blobs were often around but I had no idea what the sounder was trying to tell me. So I spent some time on clear flat days peddaling around watching bottom and reading sounder. It's like learning a new language! Anyway like many others have reported here it is the bottom that is most important. Think of a paddock with a couple of trees in it. Where are the cattle, sheep or rabbits likely to be? Then again, closer to home, where are you likely to find masses of people? Enough rambling.... I want to learn to speak sounder language and I want the help of others. I have a Garmin 300. I took some pics on a recent trip to start my language course. I stopped over some reef at night hence black background. I have learnt that red is garmin sounder for solid ground. I dropped a burley pot. Got image on sounder. Checked it by yanking a couple of times and verified it, then watched what happened.
Here is what a burley pot looks like....
Burley pot.jpg
Burley pot suspended from yak

sorry about the quality of image but im just learning to speak sounder. On advice from the thread I might reduce scroll speed when stationary and see what happens to the image. The next I think is the sounder telling me a fish is swimming under the burley pot.
Burley pot fish swimming below.jpg
Fish swimming under pot

I wish the next one said and here is the fish on my line but I'm not that advanced yet.
The next is another fish without burley pot passing by. I wish they would play ball.
Anyway I am looking forward to my next lesson. I hope others who want to learn to speak Garmin 300 join the class.
Fish moving through cone.jpg
Fish through cone
Geoffw
Veteran Member

Kayak: hobie outback

Postby Plasman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 pm

This is some really good reading. Just getting used to the elite 4 HDI but starting to easily recognise solid fish from the bait although some would argue bream don't sit in that league.
This was one of a handful taken slow rolling the plastic along the bottom.
Attachments
DSC_0695.JPG
IMG_20140605_182646.jpg
Plasman
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby Plasman » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Here's a school of bream from today. Look at the difference between dsi and standard, certainly makes you think what you've been looking at all this time. Sorry about the crop as it had gps info, secret squirrel stuff ;-)
Attachments
IMG_20140615_131958.jpg
Plasman
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Previous

Return to Electronics