Kayak Reviews • Emotion Stealth/Stealth Angler retrospective

Emotion Stealth/Stealth Angler retrospective

Postby Squidley » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 pm

I just handed over a wad for a Revo 11 and the sailing paraphernalia so I can be a mini-Mingle and I am very excited about that to say the least. The kayak that got me to a place where I'd pay that much however is the humble Emotion Stealth, now known as the Stealth Angler and in its bare-hull form, the Temptation.

Important stuff:
Bought it in 2010 from Anaconda for about $900. 313 cm long and 23 kg. With my mockery of a paddle stroke where I sort of twist my torso but usually forget to, it cruises in flat water at about 4.5-5.5 km/hr, which I hear is not especially quick. I've not found myself getting frustrated holding a course so perhaps their claims to good tracking have some merit. I've been out in choppy seas with enough swell to dip the nose in, launched through waves tall enough to whack my forehead and landed with my paddle braced in the foam and the only times I've ever flipped it, I was practicing capsizing and standing up, and messing around in some bigger surf. After 3-5 hour trips in choppy water with an esky on the back, I often find about two litres of water in the hull; I suspect one or more of the rear fixings (bungee padeyes, flush rod holders, bung) could do with a smear of silicone. Plastic's thick enough that you shouldn't fret at all landing on a concrete ramp.

The comforts:

The seat doesn't look like much, but seems to have been moulded just-so. No fabric or padding, but after ten hours sitting in it I can still hop up out of it and walk none the worse. Quite comfy, it's not helped me get better at paddling. There's an indent between your legs for resting a drink bottle, with graceful moulded channels around it; for fishing utility I'd have preferred a centre hatch, or at least a flat spot where I could put one.

The forward (and only) hatch is quite generous in size, big enough to fit your head in to see what's up with your transducer. It's the punch-on, rubber tupperware lid style. Won't come off on its own but check the rim to make sure you've pushed it down correctly. The front handle (as well as the side and rear) is bulky and comfortable on the fingers with plenty of knuckle room when you carry it.

The console consists of a concave shelf for a water bottle and a Scotty flush mount socket (which came with a baitcaster holder). The console is something I'd change about this kayak; I wish for a flatter console that extends further between your legs. I had to make a little hand carved nylon cutting board topping for the ram ball to sit on, as the bottle holder's where I wanted the sounder. The Scotty socket with just the holder was in a weird spot: it's low, making long-butt rods problematic, it's at a backwards tilting angle so the little bit of rubber better be fastened if you troll, and when you do troll, your paddle's not going to be travelling in a smooth arc as it avoids hitting the rod or the line. In the end I bought articulated extenders and have the rod in a satisfactory spot; you might want to do the same if you end up with this yak and want to troll from it.

Looking inside the hatch you'll see a nice flat spot to mount a transducer and battery. There's enough flat surface to do a wet mount here, which is what I have (the leakage on choppy days keeps it topped up, hey-o!).

There's a paddle keeper on each side, and it has a nice moulded channel that keeps paddles and other things tucked in neatly. Nice simple bungee and hook keepers. I've never tried a real surf landing with fishing gear (Somerton/Broadway doesn't count) but with a little tube up front for the tips, these paddle keepers could be a good place to store a rod flat

The flush mount holders keep my other rod and net clear of my paddle, but checking the tips to see if some weed's been snagged is too much of a neck-strain for me to have used these much for trolling. Maybe with a clicker on in a clean sea they'd be handy for that purpose but I generally just use them for storage. The rear well is a nice size and eats up much of the rear deck. Fits this esky quite nicely with some other things screwed onto it.

All in all I'm going to hang on to this one even with the Revo 11 coming, I've had so much fun on it and it'll be good for a friend to join me on or for messing around on in the surf. Best impulse purchase I ever made.
Squidley
Elite Member

Kayak: Yellow Emotion Stealth and Revo 11

Re: Emotion Stealth/Stealth Angler retrospective

Postby Ado » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:44 pm

That is a great review Squidley. It's an excellent time to do it, just as you're upgrading. Less chance of guilding the lilly; backing up your decision to buy. Such a review will be invaluable to other members after a simple cheap yak. Well done.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby Squidley » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks Ado. I figured it could be useful to someone trying to sort the cheapies out from one another. I like talking about her too, we've been through a lot together
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby solatree » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Nice review Chris - she's been a good little boat and perhaps still the pick for days with waves !
regards Andrew

It's a solitary Yacca
solatree
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Sport + Mission Catch 390 + Xstream 420

Postby Squidley » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks Andy. I'm still new to kayaks in general...how would this deal with waves better than the revo 11? Drier ride out or safer ride in or both?
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby solatree » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Squidley wrote:Thanks Andy. I'm still new to kayaks in general...how would this deal with waves better than the revo 11? Drier ride out or safer ride in or both?

I honestly don't know Chris - but I suspect it may give you a safer ride in. I know Murphysegg rolled his Revo 13 coming in. As you've not rolled the stealth coming in through waves, it might serve you well when those conditions are about - thats really the reason I got my Catch 390 - for those wavey days.
regards Andrew

It's a solitary Yacca
solatree
Legendary Member

Postby Squidley » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12 pm

After reading something Ado said about the Adventure vs a (real) Stealth in waves, and looking at the revo 11 from above:
it seems there's a lot more volume in the back than the front. Maybe that could make it susceptible to getting its nose buried on the way in? I think I'll practice reverse landing this summer, if only for fun.
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby solatree » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:22 pm

solatree wrote:
Squidley wrote:Thanks Andy. I'm still new to kayaks in general...how would this deal with waves better than the revo 11? Drier ride out or safer ride in or both?

I honestly don't know Chris - but I suspect it may give you a safer ride in. I know Murphysegg rolled his Revo 13 coming in. As you've not rolled the stealth coming in through waves, it might serve you well when those conditions are about - thats really the reason I got my Catch 390 - for those wavey days.

Been thinking about this Chris - and perhaps it might even be easier getting out through the waves in the Emotion too. Saw a recent vid by some bloke taking a Revo11 out through the waves and it did illustrate some the traps - great vid it was too ! ;-)
regards Andrew

It's a solitary Yacca
solatree
Legendary Member

Postby Squidley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:37 pm

:lol:
I think the thing that makes the revo 11 turn quick with rudder has the side effect of making it spin in the absence of rudder as well
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby Zilch » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:30 pm

solatree wrote: Saw a recent vid by some bloke taking a Revo11 out through the waves and it did illustrate some the traps - great vid it was too ! ;-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

;-) I think I just wet myself laughting at this.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simply steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !
Zilch
Veteran Member

Kayak: none

Return to Kayak Reviews