Kayak Reviews • PA12 Test Run

PA12 Test Run

Postby Bretto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:05 pm

First and foremost, this is only my subjective opinion of the PA12 based on a short test run. Any comparison drawn between this and others are relative to my experiences with other kayaks I own, have owned or have used. Any criticism I may have at this stage is most likely due to a lack of experience with this particular style of kayak.

The test run only went for about an hour. If pressed to describe today’s test run in one word I’d say “different”. If I had more words I’d say the following:

PA2.JPG

Loading & Unloading

While quite heavy, loading the PA is no different for me than loading a Revolution or Outback. Drop the back 2 paces behind the ute, lift the bow onto to the ladder racks and slide on. With the PA hull shape it sits on the ute nicely.

PA4.JPG

Unloading is a little different. Due to its weight the PA doesn’t come off a ute as easy as other less heavy craft. It does come off, just takes a little more effort.

Weight & Length

At 91cms wide and 45kgs in weight you can tell the difference trying to move it around, both on the cart and on the water. However, unlike the revolution and quest the entire length of the PA is usable. Reaching all points of the PA is simple without compromising stability too much. Feels as tough as bricks too, which to me is a positive thing.

Layout

The seat in the PA12 is unbelievable.

It has the initial feel of a comfy camping chair. After an hour… It still feels like a comfy camping chair (honestly you could go to sleep in this thing its that comfortable). If I had my way, I’d take it and use it at work. Its way nicer than the chair I’m normally stuck in for 8 hours a day.

The ability to be able to make adjustments on the fly is a nice feature, but I doubt I’ll need to change it now I’m comfortable with the setting it’s on. A few of the US guys have remarked that you need to adjust the chair and mirage drive if you switch between the standard and high position, but to be honest I can’t think of reason to run it in the higher position to begin with.

The front hatch is big enough to carry any spare gear most choose to carry but rarely use (bilge pumps, rope, spare lanyards, food etc…). Its accessibility is very easy too, just stand, walk up the front and open the hatch).

PA1.JPG

The centre hatch’s stock feature is a two tackle box rack. Again, easy to use and access. Hobiecat USA have noted that a deep gear bucket will also be made available for the PA12, though I’m unsure if or when it will be available in Australia. I like the rack feature. I usually only carry two tackle boxes anyway so it suites me fine for now. In saying that I’m sure I’ll grab the gear bucket when it becomes available too.

The mirage drive and surrounding area is obviously a lot more spacious than your typical mirage kayak (PA14 excluded). It’s very easy to negotiate when accessing the front hatch or standing and fishing. The guide system for the 2012 mirage drive is a nifty addition however given the seating arrangement and the fact you can stand in the PA makes it a little redundant as the drive is far easier to insert than in your typical mirage kayak (A mate of mine recently picked up the 2012 Revolution; I know it helps him a lot).

The rear well is massive. It appears to be easily capable of comfortably carrying a 60L esky (now I just have to find one I’m happy with).

I like the concept of the removable mounting boards on the gunnels. I’m not averse to drilling into kayaks, but it is nice not to have to do it for a change. A big advantage of this system is on the resale or alternatively the f*&k-up. Whoever buys one second hand isn’t necessarily bound by the previous user’s setup. Further, if you screw something up, just drill more holes and change the position.

Electronics Setup

While the “Lowrance Ready” system is fantastic, I’m still lukewarm about the Lowrance sounders themselves. They’re probably great, but when I turn on a screen of any kind for the first time (in fact anytime) I don’t want to see a stuck pixel. I’m one of those people who when I notice it, I can’t stop noticing it. I plan to have a yarn with Lowrance Monday morning to see what they can do about it.

Stuck pixels aside, the installation was a breeze with the scupper-transducer bracket. Most of the installation time was taken making the battery box and deciding which side I wanted the sounder mounted on.

PA12 Battery.jpg

Mounting options appear to accommodate the removable mounting boards, sailing mast and side rail. The side rail may cramp things slightly. I don’t believe the rails are in the same position as the PA14. I connected mine to the mounting board via a ram bracket. I like that it’s easy to swivel and the unit tilts up meaning even when standing you can see the screen.

PA5.JPG

Future plans include adding LED lighting for night fishing.

Speed

Obviously the PA is not going to move like a Revo. The object of the test today wasn’t to see how fast it could go, simply that it did go, and go in the right direction. I have no idea how fast it goes, for that matter I have no idea how fast the Revo went. Personally, speed isn’t essential to me. Reports from the US from guys owning both PA models suggest that the PA14 is noticeably faster.

Steering

Chalk and cheese compare with an Outback or Revolution. The fact that the rudder isn’t running from the stern makes steering a little different to what I’m used to. When starting out the response is slower than the revolution, however, once moving just a little faster, it feels way more responsive than a Revolution. Not a negative thing. It’ll just take some getting used to.

Stability

One of the reasons I went down the PA path was for the ability to stand and fish. The PA12 will achieve this. Initial it feels a little tippy however the secondary stability kicks in pretty fast. To be honest it would take either a bit of effort, a bit of incompetence or just bad luck to flip one of these. I’m looking forward to learning to fly fish in one of these.

PA3.JPG

The only moment I didn’t feel stable was trying to get in the thing for the very first time.

Fish-ability

One of the things I always liked about how a lot of the people setup up their PA14s was the ability to horizontally store their fishing rods. I’m sure many others at some point have had a run-in with low hanging branches from a tree catching the tip of your fishing gear. It’s bloody annoying.

In trying the similar system on the PA12, I must say I’m a fan just yet. I think it’ll be one of those cases of once you get used to it, it’ll become second nature type deals. For the test I was just paranoid it was going to damage the guides on my rod.

Home Storage

If you’re like me and have very little space at home to work with a PA is awkward. The idea was to first store it on the wheels, but Hobie don’t recommend that. The second idea was to store it flat under some cushioning owing to the hull shape. They don’t like that either (and I’m certain I’d accidentally hit it with my car at some point.

I picked it up last week and decided to store it on its side (heavily padded), on a purpose built rack (purposely built for the Revo that is) for the first 5 days to see the effect. While the rack has a good amount of padding and has housed both the Revo and Quest comfortably without incident the PA is considerably heavily. The rear contact point was perfectly fine. The front contact point was a little dinted after 5 days. The bulk of the pressure is on the corner of the gunnels. I would hate to think what it would have looked like if it was stored actually on its side.

IMG_0173.JPG
Revo has moved to the Sunny Coast, the Quest has moved to the top bracket, the PA sits on the bottom bracket, albeit with the seating area facing the wall and resting on more padding.

I’m currently contemplating a compromise which will hopefully solve any future issues. Failing that I’ll have a yarn to Mal to see what my other storage options are.

Other Thoughts

Getting over the initial "this cost me bloody fortune, for f*#ks sake don’t wreck it" will be hard to adjust to. I haven’t seen any disadvantages with the boat save for the weight/storage issues but they’re something that people would be aware of before they purchase it anyway. The rear twist and stow hatch can be a little tricky when trying to get at the battery box but again, that’s something that will sort itself out in a couple of trips.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the PA12. I think I'm really going to enjoy it once I get more time on the water with it. Thanks again to the crew from Sunstate Hobie.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Kayak: Dust Collectors

Re: PA12 Test Run

Postby Bretto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Cheers mate. If my adjustments don't work, I'll probably take the car out of the garage and store it upside down. Its currently stored on its side again, on the rack however I've taken about 30% (guesstimate) of the weight off the rack contact points and transferred it to the front and rear handles via ratchet straps to the top of the rack. I'll probably head down to Sunstate tomorrow and have a chat with the guys to see whether this will suffice or whether I risk doing damage to the hull.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Postby Ado » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Really great post Bretto.

Have you thought of hanging it on the wall from straps? I do that with my Adventure and the straps (2" webbing) seem to distribute the weight better. No sign of the slightest dent. It's a fair bit lighter though.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby GlenelgKiller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Hobie dealer here says to just store it right way up on the ground with a bit of carpet under! Thanks for the report. I gave one a test drive today. Did you have any issue with the tracking? Had a hell of a time lining it up and keeping it straight, very touchy rudder controls
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie PA12 and Tarpon 100

Postby Bretto » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:10 am

It tracks a lot different to the Revo. I don't know if I would call it an issue though. I had no weight in the boat except myself, the cart, a rod and a couple of other little things. Once I throw a bit more weight into it and the hull sits a little deeper, I reckon the tracking and steering will take care of itself.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Postby Bretto » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:30 am

Tonystott wrote:
BrettoQLD wrote:Cheers mate. If my adjustments don't work, I'll probably take the car out of the garage and store it upside down.SNIP

Holy crap! That will put massive dents in the roof!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, but with the car on it's roof, they'll be no need to park it in the garage thus leaving more space to store the PA.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Postby Bretto » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

patwah wrote:Can you retro fit hem to an old PA?

With a little bit of tinkering I reckon it could be done.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Postby neale » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks for the post. I pick mine up (hopefully), in 2 weeks. I will post my opinion up as well to compare it with yours.
neale

Kayak: Hobie Adventure + PA 12.

Postby Haynesy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for this review. I'll be picking mine up Sunday, can't wait
Haynesy

Kayak: Malibu Mini X + Malibu Sierra 10 + PA12

Postby rino88 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Awesome!!!

I can't wait to get mine, have to wait until September when I move house...bosses orders :lol: Until them I'm kayakless as I've sold the moken too!

Looks jamed packed full of features and a great fishing yak.
Regards,

Ryan
Changed from - ryanmoken10

"Fish for life, not just for today"

Sweetwater PB's - Bass: 53cm | Murray Cod: 52cm | Yellowbelly: 45cm | Saratoga: TBA
rino88
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie PA 12 + Malibu Mini-X

Postby GlenelgKiller » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Picked mine up this morning, cant wait to test it out this weekend! Went with the papaya, looks sweet!!!
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie PA12 and Tarpon 100

Postby rino88 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Just put a deposit in for one this morning, arrives this week. :mrgreen: Can't wait to get my hands on it!!!

I went with the yellow, decided it would be a better safety colour than camo this time ;-)
Regards,

Ryan

Sweetwater PB's - Bass: 53cm | Murray Cod: 52cm | Yellowbelly: 45cm | Saratoga: TBA
rino88
Valued Member

Postby lizard » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:30 pm

It seems every one has a reason for the colour they chose I went with the Dune (wet cement) colour mainly because when you get a scratch or 100 they dont show up 1/2 as much as other colours
lizard

Postby riverrat » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:10 pm

What is the cost of the new PA12?
riverrat

Kayak: 09 Hobie outback

Postby rino88 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Around $3,300 depending on what you want with it.
Regards,

Ryan

rino88
Valued Member

Next

Return to Kayak Reviews