Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

FOR SALE AREA - REMINDER

20K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  bassyaker 
#1 ·
For anyone using the For Sale area this is a friendly reminder that there are rules and regs which do apply. Full T&C are shown here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13674. This area of the site has had some issues in the past, so it is heavily monitored to ensure the safety of AKFF members. This is to limit the risk from non-members, new members or scammers trying to get access to our members bank details/cash.

Theres a couple of rules which i'd like to remind everyone about

Firstly, ONLY members with 50+ posts and more than 3 months membership can sell stuff via this area. we also do not allow members to sell stuff ON BEHALF of friends/relatives or other members and any posts of this nature will be automatically deleted and this rule is in place to prevent any potential issues with money changing hands between people who have not proven themselves on the forum. At least we know that most members with 50+ posts/3 months membership are here as kayak fishos, not scammers.

Secondly - all advertised items MUST have a price shown. No 'auction' or 'I'll sell to the highest bidder' type posts will be allowed. If you want to auction your stuff, then use ebay. If a for sale post does not contain a price we will advise/remind the member however it is your responsibility to post within our T&C's, and site mods shouldn't have to constantly monitor this section.

Any For Sale post that breaches site T&C will be deleted/edited at moderators discretion.

Thanks

See less See more
#27 ·
eric said:
So you are thinking you are standing up against the repression of uninvolved members and planning a 'lurker, non-poster' spring?

What thread will you occupying?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

viva la resistance

#29 ·
My comments just disappeared when I tried to submit them ??
This thread seems to imply that to be regarded as worthy to sell here you have to be akff community-spirited and that that can only be evidenced by making more than 50 legitimate posts.
That is a shame because being outspoken enough to post 50x does not identify every community-minded person, nor every worthwhile sale advertisement.
What about someone who reached 500 posts 2 years ago and has not posted since then - are they more akff community-spirited than someone who joined only 24 months ago and has only made 12 posts?
Infrequent posters might be infrequent for various reasons, including that they have limited access to the www, they are prevented by health or social pressures from contributing (my case), their literacy- or keyboard skills are lacking, or they lack the self-confidence to speak up and be heard, just as they do in face to face relationships.
In my experience quiet-personalities make great fishing buddies and they still have valuable opinions and occasionally good items to sell that I am interested in.

To exclude infrequent posters or low-post-count members as unworthy to sell here is to deprive all members of the opportunity to buy items that may be relevant to their interests as kayak fishermen.

Perhaps the rule could be tweaked to permit posts that are "for sale by non-commercial individuals only and relevant to kayak fishing; or by sellers with membership > 2 months or who have > 3 legitimate posts", etc?

I know the job of site owners/moderators is not easy and striking the balance is not a science. Thanks for your great efforts at maintaining this great site.
This site is a good resource for kayakers and fishermen and I will continue to lurk-more-than-post if able, as that is what my personal circumstances at present permit. It is certainly good to look through this site when needed and able, for general advice and info to enable me to develop as a kayak fisherman at my own pace. Also to find sale items that are immediately relevant to my interest in kayak fishing, without having to wade through the other non-specific classified sites.

#31 ·
To be consistent, perhaps members' other posts could be considered as unworthy of publishing until they have made more than 50, just to prove they are truly deserving of their membership. Their posts could remain in invisible font, only able to be read by proven legitimate members who would elect to read the post by clicking on a button labelled "screen for worthiness". Then if the probationary poster received more than 50 "like" button hits, the entire collection of probationary posts could then be made visible to the general public. That way no worthy members would be inadvertently flooded with unworthy thoughts by community 'outsiders'.

StevenM said:
Can

not taking away anything here and there is pros and cons for both side of the argument. However rules are rules and as a long term member with 11 posts the I think you could find other avenues and comunities to try and sell something.
Yes I have accessed other avenues repeatedly because of this rule and accordingly spared the faithful from having to know about my relatively unworthy sale items.

Davey G said:
... to prevent any potential issues with money changing hands between people who have not proven themselves on the forum. At least we know that most members with 50+ posts/3 months membership are here as kayak fishos, not scammers.
In the OP the stated intent of the 'rules' is to prevent 'scammers' and people who have not been 'proven' as kayak fishos. I understand the scammer reason, but to what intent/purpose is the latter? Wouldn't a photo of the poster sitting with a fishing line in a kayak satisfy that as easily as making 50 posts? How many 50+ post members do we know are active kayak fishos and not just kayak fisho wannabes with verbal diarrhoea?
Rules can be changed if they appear out-dated or unreasonable, unless they exist for their own sake.

#33 ·
@ scam - one site I used to be active on had a very busy buy / sell area.
It was a six month AND 50 posts "qualifying period", before you could even see the buy and sell forum, let alone post on it.
Rules here are much more relaxed, at least a new member can peruse the buy and sell (IIRC) and perhaps even purchase their first 'yak through it.
It's up to every forum's "owner" to decide on their rules. A minimum post count and / or membership period is not an unusual rule. No - one is forcing anyone to buy or sell on here instead of other avenues.
Really, 50 posts is pretty easy, without just being spam. Comment on some trip reports or photos. Even post a few of your own. Ask a few questions if you are new to kayaking and / or fishing. Answer a few questions if you aren't so new to the sport. An active member of an online community participates in that community. They don't remail aloof, or just take (information) without giving something back.

#35 ·
StevenM said:
scam said:
Sorry cannot help you at the moment but once I've proven myself with another 38 posts I can place a wanted ad for you in the classifieds section, if you are still looking. :lol: ;-)
At your posing rate you will be able to do that by late 2016. Think the wahh would have found these items by then or moved on to something a little more ....lets not go there.
My thoughts exactly, providing my post count does not start going backwards a few months before then, when I make my 48th post.

#36 ·
Hello Administrators.
I would like to sell my kayak I don't have 50+ posts I have been a member for a while. What I do have is a broken wrist internal bionics and busted hand due to a car accident I'm unable to lift my kayak for this reason I would like to sell it. Any special consideration?

Cheers

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.