DIY Lures • Making a simple timber lure

Creating your own plastics, hardbodies, or flies?

Making a simple timber lure

Postby Dodge » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 pm

In February 2011, I was impressed in the 'How To' lure making thread done by Jayson [kiwozi] on making a hard body and anyone wishing to make a quality lure should read parts 1 to 3, although his air brush finish was more than I felt I needed not having the equipment and only interested in them for personal use, but figured should be able to get a result using acrylic paints of which I had heaps having done some paintings as a hobby previously.

click on any picture to enlarge ........all pictures will be numbered in consecutive order.

Decided to have a go, so made some just using a jig saw, rasp, hacksaw, sandpaper, and plastic for the bib but no knife work as it never entered my head at that stage, and this first picture shows the result.

In picture #1 the top lure was no good and did not swim, the Flopy clones were later completed properly and are visible in pic #2, pink one bottom left swam OK but would have fallen apart if touched by a fish I now know, and the rest were rubbish, but I now had a taste to experiment some more
00001.jpg
Picture #1

Later found a thread on another forum about lures made by Jas [Nichos Maulers lures] looked straight forward and finished using acrylic paints. Jas proved to be a great mentor to me and owe much to him for his assistance by email and also a rewarding visit to his house to learn heaps first hand.

Also discovered the lurelovers forum which any budding lure maker should visit, a wealth of info there, and very helpful blokes as well, and also there are many AKFFers members there.

About this time found even major makers of timber lures in quantity were using a Stanley knife and think this with the guidance of Jas made a world of difference in personal results and became a turning point.

Also met Rod Jones [Jonesy lures] who also was generous with his advice and produces great lures over many years. and he made an interesting observation when I said I was only after a simple outcome with my lure making and he said "human nature is to constantly improve the result and you will do the same", he has proved to be correct as time and whittling passes.

Was also lucky enough to be given an old scroll saw by a mate whose father in law had died and had used it to make lures in Tasmania, was bit rusty but cleaned up OK and now well used.

While on the subject of saws, do know you can cut lure shapes as easily from any sort of saw in your possession, such as handsaw, hacksaw, coping saw, so do not be restricted in having a go if you do not have a scroll, or band saw.

As a new whittler have also exchanged ideas and experiments with Chris [Gunston], and Gary [paint], who has named his lures Gaz], both of whom started about the same time as me and we throw ideas and methods at one another frequently and we have all caught fish on the timbers.

Finally I would encourage everyone to have a go at carving a lure it is great fun and there is no greater reward than hooking a fish on one of your own creations, and also point out prior to mid 2011 the only carving of wood I had done was to sharpen a pencil.

When you have a failure it doesn't matter, as they make will make good firewood, but be warned your successes create an addiction as can be seen in pic #2
00004.jpg
Pic #2

Named my lures after Arobbo asked me what I was going to call them, and I said anonymous ones, so decided on ANON lures
Last edited by Dodge on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers RICHO

member of Team Old Farts and Team GREEN GINGER

Kayaks ..... Perception Swing, yellow/lime "T IV" on UHF 29 ..... Pacer, pink ..... homemade timber Anon Lures

Accept that some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Perception Swing on UHF29 - and Pacer

Re: Making a simple timber lure

Postby Dodge » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Making the body of a timber lure.

While using a scroll, or band saw is the ideal equipment, results are still good using any handsaw, and my early ones were cut using a panel saw with timber held in the vice as I cut straight lines prior to shaping with a knife, will insert a pic at end of this thread.

Only important thing is be accurate in cutting the bib slot, and best done while timber is square before any shaping occurs.

Pic #3 shows the equipment I use in making a body, other than the scroll saw and a 4" grinder with 60grit sanding disc [both of which have simple options and not essential for an outcome], from left to right in pic.
00003-1.jpg

Pen knife and Stanley knife which to me is essential, thumb cut from a rubber glove to save knife nicks, spike made from a sharpened nail in a dowel rod and used as seen in later pics, 60 and 150 grit garnet paper used on a flat timber, or on hypalon tube for sanding curves under bodies, and this is the only sanding I do in finishing.

Using the above, a 50-60mm body can be made whittled and papered in about 15 minutes ready for gluing in other parts...this time does not include sawing, or doing the initial side shaping with knife or sander.

Pic #4 is a few patterns drawn on a piece of pine, and I follow the advice of kiwozi and use milk bottle plastic for patterns
00001.jpg

The first cut on the scroll saw
00002.jpg

Pic #6 shows the end result and will use, front left Wag65, and front centre Oval65 through the rest of the images, [plus later when painting some I have already partly shaped]
00003.jpg

From this point everything is done by eye which you can trust I reckon, at this point I feel it is vital to put a centre line to keep track when you have started whittling the timber away, and I just run a pencil line using a finger as a guide along the side
00005.jpg

Pic #8 Looking down on the timber decide on the side curves mark a guide line as can be seen in the pic on the rear piece of cut timber, then remove with knife or sander, I have done each side different ways as shown [knife at left]. If doing one only I just use the knife, but for a few hit them with the sander
00003.jpg

Pic #9 I now mark my eyelet positions using the spike, then drill them using a 1.5mm bit, checking the hole depth with a bit of wire inserted in each hole, note this picture also shows some cutting guide lines
00004.jpg

Pics #10 and #11 Shaping is done using a draw stroke as although you should use a knife way from you body I only stuff up the timber so prefer to do the draw stoke. In the early days, a slice on the end of the thumb was common, so use a rubber finger cut from some rubber washing gloves, you get half dozen suitable thumb condoms for $2 from the gloves, but these days rarely look like cutting a thumb it just a practice think.

Might add here the cutting stroke is like a slice and not just a straight pull of the blade, and very easy to do
00008.jpg
00011.jpg

Finally, an end view of Oval65 before and after whittling and sanding
00001-1.jpg
Last edited by Dodge on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers RICHO

Kayaks ..... Perception Swing, yellow/lime "T IV" on UHF 29 ..... Pacer, pink ..... homemade timber Anon Lures

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby Dodge » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Making a bib and eyelets

Although you can buy ready made bibs it is pretty easy to make your own as required from poly carbonate, which and can be purchased at plastic suppliers or sign writers. I bought $20 worth last year from a local sign maker and still have enough for another 100 lures at a guess, my poly is a whisker under 2mm thick.

Having stuffed up a few bibs in early days trying to draw as a single unit, I now prefer to draw one side only on a piece of thin cardboard, then folding my pattern over to give an exact copy on the other half of the bib. After making a good bib I then make a whole pattern from milk bottle for later use.
First draw one half of the bib
00004.jpg
Pic #13
then fold and draw the other side
00005.jpg

Poly carb sometimes has a plastic protection layer and hard to mark so I remove and replace with strips of masking tape then draw the bib cutting lines on the tape
00006.jpg
then can be cut with either scissors, or saw
00007.jpg
00008.jpg

Back end of bibs are drilled so epoxy glue can extend through the bib to top and bottom in the bib slot and give a secure grip
00009.jpg
and note I add the bib tow holes after painting [pics 26/27] which is not the usual method.

You now make a decision on the way ahead ......
1. Paint the body and glue later which is the most common as can be see in the kiwozi thread.
2. Glue everything before painting, and is my own preference, not worrying if there is a spot of glue on the bib as they are my use only, and have no intention of selling them later.

To continue with my own sequence, I use these materials for gluing the components together
00010.jpg

Pic #19 Cotton buds and water to wipe surplus epoxy when gluing the bib in the body slot, egg carton to lay lures on while glue is curing, Araldite Super Strength, body, bibs, eyelets, and a piece of wire used to push glue into eyelet holes, bib holes, and also smear the bib slot surfaces.
Pic #20 The lures are then left untouched to cure for a few hours
00011.jpg

Making the eyelets is similar to kiwozi advice but I prefer to use vice grips to twist instead of spinning with a drill. Also always twist left [anti clockwise] to give me a right turn when inserting in the body when gluing
00001.jpg

This only leaves painting to be done to complete the lure.
Last edited by Dodge on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers RICHO

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby Dodge » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Painting and finish the lures

As mentioned in the preamble to this thread I use and prefer acrylic paint for my colours, with water washup, although a couple of times have used aerosol cans to spray a net pattern, but generally it does not interest me to go down the spray road, and I also buck the trend wih use of clear coat to finish off the lures later.

Epoxy is great and gives a tough durable finish in one coat but has to be rotated as the epoxy cures, however as luremaking is only a fun hobby for me, I just finish coat with clear varnish, and presently am using Carbothane, and can easily apply 3 coats in a day to date has been durable, but at 6 months use after the can has been opened a numerous times [maybe 100+] it gels so just throw the can away and buy another.

So the finish on the lure is make your own decision again, but if the fish have razor gang teeth in your area probably epoxy is the better option.

First undercoat with Gesso seals and gives a white base coat, but this is optional as acrylic does not really need it to work
00002.jpg

Pic #23 My paint needs are Acrylic tube paints, fresh water, brushes to apply paint, a palette, spray bottle to spray paint on palette on hot day, cotton buds to paint eyes, pencil to label lures, and marker pen for Anon eye and any black lines ...... for the clear finish I use Carbothane, turps, and soapy water [I wash brush after every coat of varnish]
00003.jpg

# 24 In the mix shown on the palette, used neat from the tube were, red, black, silver, and green, there were also mixes of silver/black, black/white, red/white
00004.jpg

Painted lure drying on bent coat hanger
00005.jpg

#26 With the colour painting completed I now make the tow point on the bib, I push the lure up to a gauge I made and slide to find the bib length that suits then use the spike to mark on the centre point and another one about 4 mm in front, these are then drilled for the tow wire to be inserted ....note I do not use omega clips or split rings for the tow
00008-1.jpg

#27 Then insert the the tow wire and bend to suit
00009-1.jpg

Lures are then painted with 3 coats of clear
00001.jpg

and then hung by the bib to dry
00002.jpg
#28A

The lures are finally completed, and the lures back row [left and centre] are the two in pic#6
00004.jpg

So in summary that is how I have fun carving Anon home made timber lures, so far using pine, red cedar, tassie oak, and my favourite white beech.

And an ANON caught bass to finish the thread
00002.jpg
Last edited by Dodge on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers RICHO

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby Gunston » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am

Nicely done Dodge.
Each batch of lures you have produced have been an improvement on the previous batch.
It's very pleasing when you first swim your homemade lures and find they do all the things the $20 jobs do including catch fish :)
My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my reels for what I told her I paid for them
Gunston
Valued Member

Kayak: Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW + Barracuda SOT

Postby Imax » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks heaps for the "how to" Dodge. I have picked up a few tips especially how to finish my firsts. I really like the way you create your bib template as it allows you to see the size and shape before cutting out the poly. It is a simple method and one I wouldn't have thought of myself.

This lure making stuff has already grabbed my attention. I bought some gear to make molds and polyeurethane resin lures yesterday. I will post of some of my results in the near future.

Dan
Imax

Kayak: Hobie AI and Stealth BFS

Postby Dodge » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:10 am

liam8227 wrote:
On a serious note though I like the shaping with the angle grinder. Its damn clever. Do you lock the grinder to the work surface and use it static or freeform it? I can recall using the big sanding disc on the back of the lathe in school to shape various things. With a little care Im sure the grinder could do a similar job.

Liam if you are referring to pic #8, although right handed I hold the sander vertically with that hand, then move the timber as needed to sand back to the lines using my left hand, although sometimes I still move the sander to stop the timber burning as I use lot of pressure on the wood. Originally bought a flapper disc to use but did not like and gave it to Gary who does that type of sanding successfully.

'Paint' uses flapper discs on 4" grinder locked onto bench similar style to 'kiwozi', while 'Gunston' has a linisher/belt sander bench top unit [cheap at Aldi] and both of them do most of their body shaping that way, I was not ease doing that, so prefer to just sand the timber sides fairly vertical into the marked lines and then finish body shaping with Stanley knife.

Liam looking at my pictures, my first 'proper' Anon lure that caught fish was only made in September 2011 so skills are still a work in progress but keeps me off the street.
Cheers RICHO

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 am

Dodge, thank you so much. Even your timing was impeccable. I am just about to try to start to have a go at building my own. You have saved me countless mistakes, thanks again.
Scott
Site Administrator

Kayak: A shed full

Postby 4weightfanatic » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 am

A well written description Dodge which should get a few people thinking I reckon. I particularly like the template idea for the bib tow point. It would be great to be able to incorporate (with research e.g fishing :D ) the depth a certain bib size dives to approx. to give yourself a guide. You could probably troll past a mate with a sounder angling the lures path to travel beneath them and note the depth. Something to try when the bass aren't active maybe. Well done Cheers Pat.
mesmerised by the hopelessness of logic.....then run down by the taxi cabs of absolute reality.
4weightfanatic
Veteran Member

Kayak: Australis Bass

Postby Dodge » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Imax wrote:
This lure making stuff has already grabbed my attention. I bought some gear to make molds and polyeurethane resin lures yesterday. I will post of some of my results in the near future.

Dan it is going to get far worse when you get that first fish on one of your own lures, but there are very few better feelings in fishing.

Look forward to hearing of your future successes mate.

4weightfanatic wrote:. It would be great to be able to incorporate (with research e.g fishing :D ) the depth a certain bib size dives to approx. to give yourself a guide. You could probably troll past a mate with a sounder angling the lures path to travel beneath them and note the depth. .

Pat that is something we have had in mind for quite a while, and just a case of Gunston and me being on the dam at same time, as he has the better sounder to hopefully get a depth reading.

With the tow point gauge it has worked well, and could not see the reason to keep using a ruler to get position OK.
Cheers RICHO

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby Nativeman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Good Thread Dodge,

I do mine in similar ways..

Cut the shape, cut the bib slot.
Then measure the center of the lure, mark and drill the eyelet holes
Mark the carving lines and do all carving by knife and sand paper.
2 Dip coats of primer and then 1 coat of undercoat(sprayed)
Glue in the Eyelets, I make mine using twisting pliers.
Airbrush finish to my lures using acrylic laquer( the stuff used on cars) using templates made from clear plastic to get the different designs on the lures.
Hand paint on the eyes.
3 coats of clear coat acrylic to get a hardened finish.
Finally glue the bib in as the last step( I buy my bibs pre made).
Attached Omega Clip, split rings and trebles.

I started with a scroll saw, gave up on it and moved to a bandsaw.The Bandsaw is much faster and the bib slot can be cut more accurate.
I also use a Bench Belt Sander but only to tidy the lure after cutting out the shape on the bandsaw. But down the track I plan to shape my lures using this as carving by hand is slow.

After finally catching a bass on one of my lures I am now hooked, plus I spend one day a week with a longtime lure maker so that keeps me interested.

Cheers
AKFF is totally ....
Nativeman
Legendary Member

Kayak: ...

Postby Dodge » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Nativeman wrote:
I started with a scroll saw, gave up on it and moved to a bandsaw.The Bandsaw is much faster ..........

............... as carving by hand is slow.

Sel been following your progress on LL and you are doing nice stuff mate.

Being retired when time is irrelevant, I would not have bought any sort of saw just to make lures and been content with just a handsaw, but when the scroll saw was offered said why not and certainly is an aid, but the Stanley knife work is my favourite part of the whole operation and why I do so little on the sander and have an asian clone of a battery dremel which after the novelty wore off just lays under the bench rarely used.

Last November was given a quantity of both cedar and beech bark to make lures from, and would have loved access to a bandsaw then to cut into planks.

The bark would not fit under the scroll saw, and trying to safely cut using a 6" circular saw was to risky, so resorted to the old ways to get the sawn planks,and you can see operation in the picture, after a couple of stubbys and some exertion had my planks cut, and have since made lures from that timber
00001.jpg
cutting cedar planks by handsaw
00003.jpg
Cheers RICHO

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby NICHO1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 am

Hi Richo,
finally worked out how to log on...thanks for the help mate.

Your lures are looking the goods mate,
just goes to show, that it can be just as much fun knocking out a few lures simply, as it can be with all the big gear.
Great post you have put up, and hopefully it encourages a few more guys to give it a go.
As you know, there is no better feeling than grabbing a piece of wood, turning it into your own creation, then catching a fish on it :)

They dont have to be perfect, they dont even have to be perfectly symetrical, all the flash stuff is done to catch fishermen not fish.
As you were told, its our nature to improve what we do, but its good to start out simple and learn as you go by trial and error,
the one thing Ive learnt is that fish are not art critics....WE are!......you put a dog ugly lure in the right spot it will get smashed just as quick as the prettiest lure in the world.

The reason ive got a stall at the upcoming LURE EXPO in FERNVALE on the last weekend in july(free plug ;-) ), is simply to show people that its not hard to make your own
homemade lures, and hopefully encourage a few people to have a go themselves.....to keep it simple....and enjoy it.
I rarely use other lures anymore, just my own homemades or ones made by other backyard guys, and there is no doubt, they do the job.
Keep up the good work mate, I enjoy seeing how you have progressed.
And there is still some timber here with your name on it....been putting offcuts aside ;-)
Jas (Nicho's Maulers)
NICHO1

Kayak: ECO HUNTER

Postby Dodge » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:06 pm

NICHO1 wrote:finally worked out how to log on...thanks for the help mate.

hopefully it encourages a few more guys to give it a go.
As you know, there is no better feeling than grabbing a piece of wood, turning it into your own creation, then catching a fish on it

Good to see you made it Jas, and welcome mate, but give the credit to Red for the login work around on the 'captcha' thingo you were copping all the time, from this point all is same as other forums you visit.

The quote of yours and highlighted in red is the main reason I posted this thread.
Cheers RICHO

Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Postby paint » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:09 pm

yes dodge we never stop learning
cheers
Gary

Kayak: an orange OK Frenzy and DIY timber GAZ Lures
paint