Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Hobie Adventure Island Surfing through the Currumbin bar

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Spooky 
#1 ·
Since we're on the subject of surfing or AI's, Here's mine at the Currumbin Creek Bar Crossing. good fun.

#2 ·
mingle said:
You can see how a wave-deflector would've been a blessing in those conditions!

Mike.
Speaking to the hobie boys yesterday and I can see the advantage of the wave deflector but if it goes under I can see a big cartwheel coming up. Either way I am going to find one and try it out cause these things are awesome in the waves.

#3 ·
At 7:40 the wave is pretty much square on to the back of you but the wave has tilted one ama up at the back and thereby digging the front end of the other into the water stopping the yak. The yak responds by going sideways. Crossbar pins break here...... Maybe if the amas were shorter by a couple of feet at the back this would make the A.I. more playful in the surf. If the white water lifts both amas at the same time.......no problem the yak goes straight. Sooooooo.....many things i would change on this yak........ Great Vid Spooky!

#6 ·
Bertros said:
benno said:
whats the second sail line for ?
+1. No doubt a good reason but would love to know why.

I've been sailing the AI for a good six months tying the mainsail straight to the sail and wondering what the extra pulley was for that was sitting in my car ash-tray (clearly not a smoker)... i'm guessing it's so you can detach while on the water with ease, but is there a better reason for this configuration also AI peeps?
Extra line is a 'barber hauler' for holding the sail out whilst sailing down wind. I use a occy strap to achieve similar. Ideally you want something easy to release if the wind suddenly gusts and you are in danger of burying nose and going turtle.

Not sure what you mean with second question. Do you mean you just pass the main-sheet line through the eyelet? If so you will be putting more friction in system and also exposing sail to more wear as the rope rubs past.

#7 ·
Bertros said:
badmotorfinger said:
Extra line is a 'barber hauler' for holding the sail out whilst sailing down wind. I use a occy strap to achieve similar. Ideally you want something easy to release if the wind suddenly gusts and you are in danger of burying nose and going turtle.

Not sure what you mean with second question. Do you mean you just pass the main-sheet line through the eyelet? If so you will be putting more friction in system and also exposing sail to more wear as the rope rubs past.
Appreciate the response BMF and have some googling to do on the barber hauler... My poor old dad laments having never teaching me sailing when I was younger and though I am making up for lost time, there is still a whole lot to learn! I also survived Forster btw, albeit spending a fortnight up there without touching Wallis Lake.

With respect to the second question, let me try it this way.... The mainsail rope (as best I now understand) should be rigged as follows with the S-hook attached to the sail.

Now I've been simply feeding through the first pulley and double-hitching to the sail, which has done the job admirably, left just one line bashing my head, and caused no concern for wear given the metal eye in the sail at the point of attachment. To be clear, this cuts out the need for the RHS S-pulley as it ties to the sail directly.

So the ability to dissemble/assemble on the water I understand, but is there any other reason for looping the mainsail rope back? I may be missing something but not sure how this would add any other friction to the the system/setup overall. Appreciating the benefit of the stup, I will move to this , but have I been missing something?
I know nothing about sailing but saw mention of the barber haulers over on the Hobie AI forums. Tried one and it does help to catch the wind when running down wind (which is only time you want the sail to act as scoop rather than aerofoil - I think..).

I understand now, that you are tying off to sail. I thought you were just passing rope through eyelet and back to pulley at rear. If you are tying direct to the sail then you are losing a 2/1 mechanical advantage when pulling the sail out. Normally with it running back to the rear pulley, for each 2 foot you pull the main sheet, you move the sail 1 foot. I undertand that you could get away with what you are doing though. If someone had not showed me otherwise it would probably the way I would have rigged it initially.

I guess the only time the mech adv is really important is when you need to pull the sail real tight when running a across the wind (reaching?). I don't know the right saily boat terms but find when the wind is from the side the sail needs to be pulled really hard to get it trimmed right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.