Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Watch what fish you choose to eat

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bandy 
#1 ·
G
#5 ·
The case reports reported in the media are from the current Medical Journal of Australia. The events happened about 6 years ago and the case reports have only now made publication. The fish implicated are thought to be perhaps Pikey Bream but more likely Sooty Grunter.

Any freshwater fish should not be eaten raw and this caution can be extended to brackish/estuarine species as well.
Generally, saltwater species are safe to eat raw as long as proper handling practices are observed. The main concern would be bacterial contamination and spoilage as well as Hepatitis A (especially with unprocessed raw shellfish).

The other risk with raw fish is from Anisakiasis from Anisakis simplex, a nematode worm. The risk is lessened by deep freezing raw seafood prior to consumption. But the absolute risk given the amount of raw seafood consumed is very small. Given the total population of the USA, fewer than ten cases occur annually in the United States. Only one case has been described in Australia, with the case report published in the MJA earlier this year.

I for one will continue to enjoy my raw seafood, but only saltwater (not estuarine) species caught, iced, cleaned and prepared myself (as well as store bought oysters and sushi).

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/194 ... 41_fm.html
http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Food ... 070768.htm

G
#6 ·
Kelvin said:
Any freshwater fish should not be eaten raw and this caution can be extended to brackish/estuarine species as well.
Generally, saltwater species are safe to eat raw as long as proper handling practices are observed. The main concern would be bacterial contamination and spoilage as well as Hepatitis A (especially with unprocessed raw shellfish). ---
I for one will continue to enjoy my raw seafood, but only saltwater (not estuarine) species caught, iced, cleaned and prepared myself (as well as store bought oysters and sushi).
Excellent advice, and much appreciated :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.