Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Tuna of off Victor Harbour

9K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Stealthfisha 
#1 ·
Saturday 18/1/2014,
Aprox 6.00am at the boat ramp by the bluff heading around west island towards the pages
and back about 2km out from shore trolling, round trip about 25km all welcome.
Cheers
Minny

weather permitted...

#13 ·
Ive just bought a awesome setup from kmart....its a little Ryobi job...looks impressive and its got mono already on it...I tried to break it but cant so I reckon its the nuts guts for tuna....not long now boys!
Oh and ive got some bigger hooks for live bait from a garage sale down the road...they are a bit rusty but will clean up well with some steel wool and turpentine.....

Talk soon.....

PS...im taking my 8# fly rod.....so I caqn get truly smashed if we are lucky enough to find a bust up

#17 ·
INVITATION:

1. Thursday O Dark Hundred (0515 launch)
2. South Coast (near Victor Harbour)
3. Have confident deep water and surf entry skills (we are not launching from a safe point...trolleys for your yak will be obsolete)
4. Not scared of deep water...yes there will be sharks

Read site disclaimer for all proposed trips....we are carrying SATphone,Flares,VHF etc

If you are keen please PM minny or myself for further details

#18 ·
Got blown to misery....all good at 2klm out but then 40kph winds come up from the coast...battled for ever to get back
all boats got caught out too....all racing for coast....very tuff morning...

nothing caught....barely held the bow into wind for almost 2hours :(

butgood training session ;-)
minny may have another opinion

#21 ·
Had a good crack crak

the goolwa rescue CH 83 was over the moon we logged out....poor buggers must get frustrated at times when people just go home and forget....for anyone yaking down that coast...2watts does not reach the repeater...ya need 5watts....my gme gx800 punched straight through no probs

#23 ·
Pity the wind blew up Stealth. I woosed out of the trip, due to the balmy 46 degree forecast :O but sounds like the 40kph wind was a real killer with the heat too.
I noted that the BOM forecast was for 20-30kph winds at 0800, backing off to 10-20kph winds at 11:00, however it sounded very different out there.

Hope to hook up for another trip with you in the future when the weather gods are kinder

Cheers
Dunny

#24 ·
yesterday I learnt the most important lesson

TAKE AN ANCKOR

in that wind you could not stop or you went
backwards real fast so you couldn't stop for a rest
very important even when you are just trolling.
Many many thanks to Stealthfisha for all of his help true champion..

CHEERS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.