Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Qld: Bribie - Chasing tuna

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Safa 
#1 ·
Planning an AI assault from Bongaree on Thursday in the AI, to sail around the front and up the coast, and maybe out wide. Full day or start returning with the tide change about 3pm.

Same is possible from Woorim facing swell and wind....not so good for paddle yaks, with winds in the morning to 20 knots, predicted to ease later. All welcome, but leave your light gear behind if you're targeting tuna.

#2 ·
Bugger that - bring stump pulling gear. There's nothing fun about a big tuna circling under the yak for an hour!

#3 ·
Lazybugger said:
Alternately take your regular snapper sticks and reels, catch a tuna, have a great time doing it, and tell Trev where he can shove his heavy gear :twisted:
You're most welcome young fella. If you hook a 130 cm model I may have the last laugh. :?

#6 ·
Beekeeper said:
killer said:
For us mere males that can only do one thing at a time , take your lighter gear and have some fun !

Those Tuna strip line faster than I could strip confronted by a hot tub full of naked women , YEE- HA!!!!

Cheers
Killer.
Funny as, Ron... but really, you're quite rude! :lol: :lol: :lol: (me too!) :lol:

Jimbo
Music:

Just you wait, Lazybugger,Just you wait!
You'll be sorry
But your tears'll be to late
You'll be fishless, And I'll have fish
Will I help you?
Don't be funny!
Just you wait, Lazy bugger, just you wait!

Just you wait, LazyBugger till you're fishless
And you scream to fetch an expert double-quick (maybe Salti?)
I'll be off a second later
And go straight to clean mine later
Oh ho ho, LazyBugger
Just you wait!

Ooooooh LazyBugger!
Just you wait until we're fishin' in the sea
Ooooooh LazyBugger!
And you get another bust-off a little ways from me
When you yell you're going to die, I'll go home and say goodbye,
Oh ho ho, LazyBugger
Oh ho ho, LazyBugger.
Just you wait!

One day I'll be famous
I'll be proper and prim
Go to Palmy so often
I will call it St. Win

One evenin' the Carnster will say:
"Oh, Trev, old thing
I want all of Oz your praises to sing
Next week on the twentieth of June
I proclaim Trev's Victorious Day!
All the people will celebrate the glory of you
And whatever you wish and want I gladly will do"
"Thanks a lot, Chris ," says I, in a manner well-bred
"But all I want is LazyBugger's dread".
"Done," says the Carnster with a stroke
"Guard, run and bring in the bloke!"
Then they'll march you, LazyBugger to the wall
And the King will tell me: "Trev, sound the call!"
As they lift their rods higher
I'll shout: "Ready! Aim! Fire!"
Oh ho ho, LazyBugger
Down you'll go, LazyBugger

Just you wait!

#8 ·
Fired up there tonight Scotty?
Heavy or light gear, one fish tastes better than the other, etc...... it really is all just opinions.
And since when is catching one type of pelagic fish deemed more hard core (or whatever the sentiment these comments address)than another.
Are you basing it on skill required to entice a bite, length of fight, speed of run, chance of contracting a debilitating disease?
For mine tuna win all these comparisons hands down. If its taste.....you probably need a better cook.
Just my opinions of course. ;-)

Trev I fished Woorim Sat and Sunday after the boys had success last Friday. All the action was within 500m of shore. The wind was 20k SSW but it was fine just paddling in the lee of the island. They are responding to all the usual tactics.

#9 ·
Thanks Paulo. I'm feeling a bit targeted till now, especially since being banned by moderators from commenting on anything since kayaking and fishing (no music, no off- topic, and no thanks for contributions to date).

I really appreciate your reply.

#10 ·
salticrak said:
Trevor,you may find a common denominator regarding all your woes.Just saying man. Also from a guy who was talking about skull dragging these fish in under 8 minutes to your last report of an extended near hour long battle? you are sending out mixed messages. I presume you are using your heavy gear approach for all these captures?
Well Pauly you presumed a lot that was incorrect. I did land a few tuna last year in 15,10 and 8 minutes (BIGKEV was a witness to the last one, on a 15kg stick and 40 lb Platinum with full drag on a Penn 850 SSM). The first tuna this year was a regular fight of 15 minutes on standard gear. The second was much bigger, and foul hooked, and I had no control of the head, plus I was sick and weak. Even sicker, two weeks later, I took 40 minutes to land a 10.8 kg tuna mouth hooked, because I had no strength or energy.

I'm still not right, but I'm giving it a go in less than ideal conditions. Thanks Paulo and Dennis for your support. I too regard them very highly, in every respect, and think LB, and maybe Salti, need cooking lessons.

#11 ·
I'm not that fussed on the taste either, but that's just me as my kids really like it.

To my way of thinking, any fish that needs extra work to make good table fare is not really worth the effort when there are so many other species that eat so well with little to no effort.

Also in regards to gear, heavy stuff is not a necessity, it's simply shifting odds further in favour of the angler providing arms, knots and terminal tackle withstand the extra pressure from higher drags. These fish have been landed on snapper gear regularly enough to say its feasible to target them with it. Not everybody can afford an offshore outfit just for one species and may find multi uses for these 'lighter' set ups.

Kev

#12 ·
Who cares really what other people think,what's best for the table ,best fight etc it's a personal choice to chase whatever you want.
It's about getting out there and enjoying whatever you catch ,see and experience things that others don't,getting through and returning in big surf ,paddling for 15 km without a hit is what keeps us going back for more ,catching fish on each trip could suck the fun out of it,just my opinion .......everyone has one :)
It's about what we do on a outing rather than what we bring back.

#13 ·
Thanks Clive. You have it in one.

I went, I tried for 8 hours (under sail) for not one touch or sighting, not even a bird.

I still enjoyed being out there, and there'll be another day. Soon.

#14 ·
Picking a fish to target, applying the technique to get in the same spot as it, fooling it into taking a lure and winning the battle to get it aboard - That's brilliant skillful fishing regardless of what fish it is and how it tastes to an individual.

Chucking a dead fish in the water with a hook in it waiting for something to eat it, well, not my type of fishing regardless of how good the final product tastes.

Im there to go fishing not catch dinner.

#15 ·
Yakcoosa said:
Chucking a dead fish in the water with a hook in it waiting for something to eat it, well, not my type of fishing regardless of how good the final product tastes.
Whilst I am sure there are many people who do this- fishing with dead bait often requires a bit more than what you just described.

Just saying.

But I do agree that targeting certain fish with certain tackle in a certain place requires skill ;-)

#16 ·
Yakcoosa said:
Picking a fish to target, applying the technique to get in the same spot as it, fooling it into taking a lure and winning the battle to get it aboard - That's brilliant skillful fishing regardless of what fish it is and how it tastes to an individual.

Im there to go fishing not catch dinner.
If you talking fly fishing that's the pinnacle for sure, I have made many saltwater fly patterns and caught some good fish on them ,exciting stuff....
Taking a whole dead bait and making it swim is as rewarding,it's sport fishing isn't it .
Anyone can throw or pull a piece of plastic with hooks in it and hope for the best ,big wooden spoon with a treble can catch fish,I'm sure I'll get one 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.