Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Petition To get a FAD placed within reach of kayakers

12K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  hahn1 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
Love the forum but to be totally honest I'm more active on "the other forum". Anyway I started a similar post there a few weeks ago and now want to extend it to you guys here as it's hopefully to benefit all of us yakkers in Syndey!

I was told that a FAD used to be within easy reach of kayakers a few years ago and I thought it would be awesome to try and get one placed closer in for us next summer so we can enjoy catching more pelagics!

Hopefully there's a few guys on here that will help and take the time to sign my little online petition to put a bit of weight behind my request when I write a letter to the DPI.

Here's the link

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petiti...ds-within-reasonable-reach-of-kayak-fishermen

Cheers

Nick

#2 ·
Do you mean a floating FAD for dollies? Would be nice to have but not too sure how effective it would be say 2km off the heads (but having said that I did get a small dollie just off south head a couple of months ago).

The artificial is within paddling range as well so might be a bit greedy to have both in sydney!

#3 ·
Hi Nick, where was the one that used to be within reach ?
Do you think we would need to have an idea for a location before partitioning it ?
That would be an interesting discussion too.

#4 ·
si75 said:
Do you mean a floating FAD for dollies? Would be nice to have but not too sure how effective it would be say 2km off the heads (but having said that I did get a small dollie just off south head a couple of months ago).

The artificial is within paddling range as well so might be a bit greedy to have both in sydney!
Hey mate yeah a floating FAD for dollies and other pelagics, I've heard there's been some decent game fish in close without a FAD so this might make it more common! I'm told there was one that was about 2km from Sydney heads so it's not a new thing, just looks like they deployed them all way out wide lately...

keza said:
Hi Nick, where was the one that used to be within reach ?
Do you think we would need to have an idea for a location before partitioning it ?
That would be an interesting discussion too.
Would be great to have a location in mind but to be honest I wouldn't know the best spot... As it's been done in the past I would assume Fisheries already have an area that suited in the past... If anyone has any suggestions though!!?

#7 ·
Haha was only giving the post a cheeky bump to stir up a few posts and keep the thread alive! Sadly not many have actually supported it yet but there's still time!

I've been fishing up and down Sydney from Long Reef to Bellambi at the moment... I wouldn't mind seeing a FAD deployed offshore from Cronulla or somewhere like that, away from the Harbour where there's already a few things like the Artificial Reef as already mentioned...

#8 ·
Signed with comments. When don't need a huge number of signatures so have a link at the link guys.
Even if you aren't in the Sydney area, this we start them thinking about us when they make other decisions.
There are only 26 signatures at the moment ???

#11 ·
Zed said:
kraley said:
GlenelgKiller said:
Im going to have to ask....what the hell is a FAD?
Fish attracting device.

Usually a floating bouy
I thought it was aggregating or aggregation.
It should be for GlenelG.
It is Fish Aggregating Device but it all leads to the same conclusion... more fish!

Thanks for your support so far guys, hopefully more will sign it and help make this a reality for next summer! From all the reports it sounds like Sydney's going off at the moment so it would be awesome to tempt some of that action in closer!

#14 ·
Great idea but do you honestly think if they put one in close you will be able to get a kayak anywhere near it without being run over?

Cheers Mal

#16 ·
Mal, the benefit safety wise is that boats look out for other boats around a FAD as they expect to find them there. A lot safer than a yak 2 ks off shore with no landmarks.

They could put the one back at Quarantine for a starter, that used to be a great spot. One a couple of ks out from either Malabar or Longreef would avoid the harbour traffic.

#17 ·
I seem to remember reading that the current Sydney Harbour and Botany FADs are a lot closer than every other FAD up and down the coast because the powers that be didnt want small boats to be tempted to head a long way offshore. I dont know why fisheries think that Sydney boatowners are more stupid than anywhere else up and down the NSW coast but there you go.

Point is that rightly or wrongly they might not want to put out a FAD with the express intention of luring kayakers 2km offshore when not everyone would be safe to go there.

On a side note I have never seen a kayak fishing the artificial reef and thats about 2km out.

#18 ·
Lots of us fish the artificial reef from our kayaks si75, it's only about a k off south head.
It produces sometimes but other spots in the area still seem better to me.

#20 ·
malhal said:
Great idea but do you honestly think if they put one in close you will be able to get a kayak anywhere near it without being run over?

Cheers Mal
Mal

We'll deal with that with safety flags and hooters and whistles. IMO, the more the better:

keza said:
Lots of us fish the artificial reef from our kayaks si75, it's only about a k off south head.
It produces sometimes but other spots in the area still seem better to me.
keza said:
Mal, the benefit safety wise is that boats look out for other boats around a FAD as they expect to find them there. A lot safer than a yak 2 kms off shore with no landmarks.

They could put the one back at Quarantine for a starter, that used to be a great spot. One a couple of kms out from either Malabar or Longreef would avoid the harbour traffic.
Mexican chip in here (I'll still sign it). This is a great idea by GoneYakFishin. The sport is still growing rapidly, and unless you have an AI/TI most of the FADS and Artificial Reefs on the East Coast are out of the (safe) reach of most kayak fishos. I would encourage all Sydney region kayak fishos to sign the petition. It is good to see the NSW government recognising the accessibility problem for kayakers.

On a similar note, the Redcliffe/Scarborough area (SE Qld) has been marked as the location for a new Artificial Reef (thanks to Sunfish and Billy Turner [http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65528]. The reef is planned to be well over a kilometre long, and 1 - 1.5 kms off the shoreline. It would be fitting for it to be named the 'Billy Turner A.R.' Can't wait for it to happen.

#22 ·
I signed (how's Jim's finger going)?

#24 ·
avayak said:
kayakone said:
Hi Trev, I spoke to Jim today. He is recovering well after surgery. Pins and wires sounds like it will be a while off the water for Jim. He sounded keen to go fishimg as ever. Hope he will dust the Other Woman off in time for the hairtail season.
Hairtail would fix that finger in a jiffy.

#25 ·
avayak said:
kayakone said:
Hi Trev, I spoke to Jim today. He is recovering well after surgery. Pins and wires sounds like it will be a while off the water for Jim. He sounded keen to go fishing as ever. Hope he will dust the Other Woman off in time for the hairtail season.
Jim should be considered for a TOW.....driving all the way from Sydney to break a finger in the first five minutes, without his bum on the seat, then drive home again. What was he steering with..........? ;-)

Thanks for the news anyway. He'll be back. :)

#26 ·
si75 said:
I seem to remember reading that the current Sydney Harbour and Botany FADs are a lot closer than every other FAD up and down the coast because the powers that be didnt want small boats to be tempted to head a long way offshore. I dont know why fisheries think that Sydney boatowners are more stupid than anywhere else up and down the NSW coast but there you go.

Point is that rightly or wrongly they might not want to put out a FAD with the express intention of luring kayakers 2km offshore when not everyone would be safe to go there.

On a side note I have never seen a kayak fishing the artificial reef and thats about 2km out.
Some good points there but you could also argue that keeping the FADs as far out as they are now might tempt some yakkers to head way out wide... It's been done before and I'd have a look if the opportunity came up with a few others..

As for the artificial reef, I was out there earlier this week. Nothing there that time sadly. It's not that far out, I would probably want to see the FAD a little wider than that. I'm sure having it 2 or 3kms offshore would stop most inexperienced or unprepared yakkers from wanting to head out that wide.

Thanks for all your support guys, we've made it past 50 which is a good milestone! Hopefully it will see 100 before I put it to Fisheries!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.