Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Shark shields?

19K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  SharkShield 
#1 ·
Was thinking of getting a shark shield for my yak. However, the very recent tests done on them in South Australia are not very encouraging. The sharks took twice as long to take the bait but there was no difference in the number of baits taken when a shark shield was affixed 150cm away. If I was on my yak, not sure an extra couple of minutes would really make all that difference if I get eaten in the end anyway... Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Where abouts are you fishing ?
Sharks are regular sights in this sport and sooner or later were all going to see one at least.
The shark shields have proven effective, bit like an intense irration for the shark.
When looking at the statics though ,with the millions of people australia wide using our waters for all sorts of things, attacks are extremely rare, with something like 4 attacks in the last 20-30 years with only one fatality.
Its a piece of mind thing and many people opt for it. Which is the reason ive been looking into them as well.
Plenty of testimonials on the forum heres one for an example...
http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic. ... ld#p163032

#4 ·
Thats another big factor, they arent the cheapest things going, and would much prefer to spend it on new fishing gear :D
It realy depends how comfortable you are with your yak and the areas your fishing, most the time it'll be offshore you'll find them and there many ways of minimising your chances like dont bleed or leave bleed fishing hanging in the water (learnt this hard way on lake macquarie), but most the time they will only come for a look and if they get a bit to close for comfort, paddles at the ready.
It comes down to whether or not you can justify the money, but when in perspective how much is a life worth and an even better question, how much would you lay down to wet your lined :D

#5 ·
burnsie8495 said:
When looking at the statics though ,with the millions of people australia wide using our waters for all sorts of things, attacks are extremely rare, with something like 4 attacks in the last 20-30 years with only one fatality.
Not sure where you get your statistics from mate but they are off the mark. I can recall 5 fatals and 1 non-fatal in WA over the last 2 years plus 2 fatals in metro SA in quick succession around 12 years back. Also 2 attacks on yaks, 1 in SA and 1 in WA over the last year, both non-fatal. Part of the risk of water sports and im certainly not suggesting everyone should have a Shark Shield, i didnt for quite a while, but it certainly can happen.

#8 ·
I think the most important part of the test was that the sharks aborted 100% of their extremely aggressive charges on trolled drones (think 5m GW leaping out of water with seal in mouth). It is this sort of attack which will put you in the water with the shark post initial hit and something that has happened to kayakers previously. Thankfully the sharks seemed to have been somewhat bemused after intitial strike and have left now swimming kayakers alone.

The fact that they still took a bait is important, but they were still clearly put off somewhat by the sharkshield. I am not planning on towing 1/2 a tuna around behind my kayak, and even if I did, I figure the shark will circle for twice as long giving me time to prepare or take measures to scare the shark off.

#9 ·
The Shark Shield for me is a bit of piece of mind - some extra insurance. It does not really matter how effective it actually is - as long as it helps me feel safer out there when I'm fishing in waters and at times when shark risk is higher. And it does. That way, I can focus on enjoying my fishing.

#10 ·
as for the statics i was leading to those in regards to kayakers more then swimmer/surfers.

well from the study itll give you another 2 minutes to prepare, enough time to get a flare out, just in case :D

#12 ·
burnsie8495 said:
Sharks are regular sights in this sport and sooner or later were all going to see one at least.
The shark shields have proven effective, bit like an intense irration for the shark.
Its a piece of mind thing and many people opt for it. Which is the reason ive been looking into them as well.
"4 attacks in the last 20-30 years with only one fatality" Not quite. One a year on average (deaths). 5 deaths in WA in the past 11 months.

Anything you can do to reduce the risk has got to be worth it.

trev

trev

#13 ·
kayakone said:
burnsie8495 said:
"4 attacks in the last 20-30 years with only one fatality" Not quite. One a year on average (deaths). 5 deaths in WA in the past 11 months.

Anyting you can do to reduce the risk has got to be worth it.

trev

trev
Your right Ill give them a leg so I don't lose an arm. :lol:

#14 ·
solatree said:
The Shark Shield for me is a bit of piece of mind - some extra insurance. It does not really matter how effective it actually is - as long as it helps me feel safer out there when I'm fishing in waters and at times when shark risk is higher. And it does. That way, I can focus on enjoying my fishing.
Im with you Andy! Im just so much more comfortable knowing they are scientifically proven. Whats report is that? Im not listening.....

#15 ·
I guess it's sobering to hear they don't eliminate the risk but reduce it. I do think a kayak has more in common with a seal lure skipping over the surface than half a tuna sitting in the water, and the seal decoy wasn't attacked in their tests with the SS switched on.

#21 ·
With regards to the $700 price tag... on the day that a 3m GWS knocks you in the water and circles back towards you, if your thoughts are "glad I spent that $700 on a new jigging outfit" then you were right not to buy one. On the other hand if you're like me and you think to yourself "f*** knows if it's going to work but I'm sure glad I spent that $700 on a SS" then you should probably buy one. Of course if you did buy one then you may not have ended up in the water in the first place :)

I'm lucky enough not to have seen a GWS or any large shark yet (knocking on wood!). However the one and only time I did see some small 1.5-2m bull sharks in the harbour, and ended up accidentally catching one that day too, was the one day that I didn't have my SS with me as it was in for repair.

#22 ·
solatree said:
burnsie8495 said:
seal decoy would look a bit like a yak :/
Lucky there isnt many yellow seals swimming round :D
That's because they are now extinct - see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31711&hilit=+dangerous (but do read the whole thread ;-) )
That throws a spanner in the work :lol:
Then again you've got more of a chance of getting mown down by a boat than you would seeing a shark,little own getting attacked.
And if they do come after you throw some baits in the opposite direction and plane out of there :D
Ive got a yellow yak and pfd, and although ive knocked and looked over a few times (only schoolies), im much happier knowing i can be see.
But if your serious about heading offshore, escecially if your looking of using big baits or catching bigger fish, your chances of a meeting are higher, if it brings you piece of mind and you can fork out the cash you may as well, be handy for early morning/late afternoon surf especially if your out alone

#23 ·
#24 ·
It might depend how comfortable you feel, if an enquisitive shark visits. Below are links from the incident at Long Reef, where a few of the regulars on this forum were 'paid a visit'.

When something of that size is enquisitive and remains enquisitive you may want a way of making yourself less interesting....

What the video doesn't show is when the kayakers tried to leave the shelter of the boat as they thought the shark was more interested in the boats prop, then them - said Shark went off after them and continued to 'nudge'. It was only when the commercial boat intervened and spooked the shark, did it disappear.

Also should point out a similar sized shark was spotted by kayakers almost on the same day, one year later.

#25 ·
I think the test results are pretty positive for the shield. But it looks like if you have a bad cut and you smell like fish, then your number may be up anyway.

I'm reasonably comfortable with sharks around Sydney and quite like seeing them, I have been bumped and hit pretty hard on one occasion but I feel ok without one, so I haven't bought one. If someone gave me one I would use it, not all the time, but I would use it.
I usually borrow Simon's when I go up to South West Rocks but have fished there without one also.
I think they are extra insurance and if you are at all worried, then having one is a good idea.

#26 ·
Tiberium said:
What puts me off it is the price. :shock: $700 :shock:
Stealthdes has them for $500. Bargain.

trev

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.