Main • Flathead Tactics - Something different please.

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: Flathead Tactics - Something different please.

Postby Ado » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Worms - Gulp 5" sandworms in natural, camo or newpenny. Use them whole. I don't use a stinger and flathead inhale everything.
Gulp Alive 5" Crazylegs. I use Chartreuse Pepper Neon. Amazing action on a slow roll.

Proper good technique for the crazylegs is to cast, rod tip at 30 degrees to allow you to strike, watch line on the drop for any twitch, pause for a few seconds after it hits bottom, then a couple of rapid (but not violent) lifts of the rod tip with a pause in between, roll line in to take up slack, let it drop, pause, slow roll, pause, repeat. This gives a combination of injured fish and fish swimming over the sand, which seems to get the best results for me.

With the worms I just drift and let it follow me with a couple of gentle flicks every 10 seconds or so.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby Junglefisher » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 pm

I avoid deep, fast flowing water and target anything with a drop off.
Had good success casting a stiffy minnow in a brown colour up at Mackay.
Tend to use softies in prawn colours here though. Gulp 5" jerkshads in banana prawn being my favourite.
Cheers
Craig

Sooty grunter Tarpon Jungle Perch Jack Aust. Grayling Coral Trout Barra Longtom Cobbler Brown trout Atl. Salmon Rainbow Trout Spangled emperor Estuary cod Flathead Snapper Murray Cod Mack Yella Whiting Pike Walleye Artic Greyling Snapper
Junglefisher
Legendary Member

Kayak: Revo Finn X-press Outfitter Gizmo Pelican

Postby imnotoriginal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:40 pm

From reading some of the reports online, there seem to be a few crews in the Flatty Classic who specifically target big flathead near areas of broken reef and fast water. From what I've read, these guys go through dozens of lures a day due to the snaggy country and their using heavy jigheads near structured bottom. This seems to be where a number of the big girls live. Sounds like a bloody expensive way to target a fish that doesn't fight much, not to mention hard work with the heavy jigheads they use and lose.
Joel
imnotoriginal
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution - Banana Boat

Postby bungy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi ya Indie
I normally use strike pro poppers and as junglefisher said the stiffy minnows and have a good success rate.
I don't fish deep water just in the shallows around the yabby beds in about less than a meter of water. The bigger fish have been taken right at the edge of the water where it meets the sand.My method is to cast lure/plastic/popper on sand and start working them at the waters edge,And of course this may vary from location...
Good Luck and let us know how you go...
YAK PB'S
Trevally 44cm.Flathead 74cm.Jack 50cm.Whitting 36cm.Parrot Fish 32cm.Spoty Mack 54cm
Cod 70cm.Barra 57cm.Bream 32cm.Est Cod 38cm.Stripy Bass 38cm.Queenie 55cm.
Mosses Perch 27cm.Tarpon 45cm.Grunter 35cm.
Cheers....BUNGY
Hobie.. world domination by 2015.
bungy
Elite Member

Kayak: Outbacks 2009 Ivory Dune 2011 Olive Green

Postby grinner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:26 pm

brad, the pins a bit of a special case as it is a bar that probably drains 4 estuarine rivers which have flatties all thru them (logan,albert,coomera, pimpama).

as such round full moons you may get a build up of spawning females and often with smaller males around them.

they may be on the chew , they may be more interested in finding a mate, they may be arriving or departing.

some blokes do get massive females down there but i think they are transitory.

it also runs at a pace that is almost like a set of rapids in full flow,
the deeper sections have a lot of timber and it is thus a pretty difficult place to fish.

ive rarely done much good there. i think a very good sounder may help you guys.

like imnotoriginal said, i know a guy who lost over $200 worth of blades there in one session,

i'd be trying the turns of the tide when the flow slows for the deeper bit.

i think flatties hold where the flow, depth, water clarity are just right for them to hunt.
so if the flow is too fast, or the water is too deep or it is very clear or very turbid, you mite have to adjust your technique.

really , you couldnt go wrong just prospecting with a 5inch pumpkinseed shad on a fairly heavy jig and then adjust accordingly.

if you find one, other will be about. they seem to hunt in packs.

should be interesting.

at night, they seem to like to attack little baitfish silhouetted against the moon or suburban street lights (none of them at the pin) so worth a little chuck then as well.
grinner
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: hobie revo

Postby ArWeTherYet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:03 pm

indiedog wrote:Something I used to have great success on flathead with is a gangie using 3 x size 4 hooks on a frog mouth drifted on the bottom. Might go get some hooks to get some gang action happening.

Bingo!
Thats what the old bloke down at the caravan park in Iluka use to do and others to. I think he was using 3/0's or maybe even 2/0's and he use to bend the eye of the hook down to get the gag to sit flatter. Reckons you need to fish right next to any rock wall. Anyways they always seem to clean up on them.
One of my mates usually goes down to the Pin at certain times of the year to catch the big mothers and they'd use live Pddies, but the arse hole wouldn't tell me where, I think its somewhere near the mouth as he mentioned a bit of swell.
ArWeTherYet
Legendary Member

Kayak: blum

Postby foxx1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:43 pm

I plan on bringing a variety of SP's to the Pin after recieving, what I percieve as, credible advice from the guys at Joneses Tackle on what plastics to use and what technique. As many of you know I have not had much success in catching department, actually none to be truthful but I am determined to work it out and have been practicing my technique in the neighbours pool which is not as silly as it sounds. Looking forward to some more advice on the trip if it's on offer Indie, I am even prepared to procure such advice with the sharing of plastics ;-)
foxx1
Valued Member

Kayak: australis foxx

Postby kayakone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:44 pm

ArWeTherYet wrote:
indiedog wrote:Something I used to have great success on flathead with is a gangie using 3 x size 4 hooks on a frog mouth drifted on the bottom. Might go get some hooks to get some gang action happening.

Bingo!
Thats what the old bloke down at the caravan park in Iluka used to do and others too. I think he was using 3/0's or maybe even 2/0's and he used to bend the eye of the hook down to get the gag to sit flatter. Reckons you need to fish right next to any rock wall. Anyways they always seemed to clean up on them.
One of my mates usually goes down to the Pin at certain times of the year to catch the big mothers and they'd use live Poddies, but the arse hole wouldn't tell me where, I think its somewhere near the mouth as he mentioned a bit of swell.

Paul,
Try the last three hundred metres of the estuary (now don't say the old bastard didn't tell you), but as Brad & Pete said, the currents are viscious. Much of my flatty fishing in that region was land based, though I used to go right through and out to the bar for tailor, and sometimes caught a flattie in deeper water well out. The swell can also do you in if kayak fishing here.

The 2/0 & 3/0 gangs work well with pillies, gar, and poddies. For mullet, use a 3/0 single pinned twice only through the very end of the mullet strip. I have caught about a dozen 70 -80 cm specimens with bait, and 1 X 98 cms on bait.

indiedog wrote:
ArWeTherYet wrote:Bingo!
Thats what the old bloke down at the caravan park in Iluka used to do and others too. I think he was using 3/0's or maybe even 2/0's and he used to bend the eye of the hook down to get the gag to sit flatter.

Back to the future! I buy Mustad 7766 style and bend the eye up also to make the gang work. You can get a box of 50 pretty cheaply. I'll get a couple of different sizes but from memory the smaller hooks suit the frog mouths well. What were they using as bait to suit the larger hooks? Strip baits maybe? I could give pillies a go but they'll only last for a day or two.

I tried a few livies last year but no love. Will see if I can work up the interest to try them again this time.

"I could give pillies a go but they'll only last for a day or two."
Brad, not so with salting. We used to go on sea kayak trips for up to 2 weeks in the Whitsundays, Keppels or Moreton Bay. Before each trip I would heavily salt individually frozen pillies and a couple of gar, and allow them to make their own brine, a bit of which you can pour off for storage for the trip. They always last way beyond the 2 weeks, even in tropical temperatures (September).

One more suggestion for HB success is to troll 2 HB's, one deep on a short leash, but picking up the bottom occasionally, and one shallower. The hookup is often on the shallower one (I have caught 2 X 70 cm ones via this method).

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby kayakone » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

indiedog wrote:Trev, how did you go about salting them? Shallow plastic container with a bed of salt and lay them down in layers with heaps of salt between and then a good covering? Then put the lid on and keep them in a cupboard?

Near enough Brad. You need a container a bit longer than a take-away/ice cream container. I use a small plastic lunch box. Thin layer of cooking salt, then a layer of pillies, more salt, layer the next bed of pillies the opposite way (saves space and gets more salt in contact). With big gar you might have to cut them in half.

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby munro91 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Mate I'm no expert by any means but I have had success on squidgy fish (the ones with the paddle tails on them) in the evil minnow colour as it matches the shimmer of the white bait. Also the squidgy slick rig is highly under rated but I find that they are heavy enough to stay on the bottom and they have their own action so can be trolled or flicked.

Anyway those have worked well for me in the past

Munro.
munro91

Kayak: mantra noa

Postby jayman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Hey brad my brother and a mate bagged out just the other day on flatties at the pin from what he told me he was using sebile lures he didn't tell me which ones tho but the koolies are good. A setup he uses is to troll three lures one deep and two shallow troll the deep one in the middles of your spread with no hooks making sure its hitting the bottom have this lure closer to the yak and have the two shallow ones further out. he has had good success using this method in his boat. Something a bit different to try.

Cheers jay
yak pb's 105cm spottie mac, 1.2m Spanish mackerel, 35cm mosses perch, 32cm bream, 36cm tailor, 56cm flathead, 55cm estuary cod, 42cm squire, 40cm sweetlip, 1.25m cobia, 95cm longtail, 45cm Maori cod, 45cm red emperor.
jayman
Valued Member

Kayak: stealth profisha 475 [red devil]+ dagger voyager

Postby jayman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:48 pm

indiedog wrote:Jay, that's interesting. So the deep lure has no hooks and is really just a teaser? Could you get the same result dragging a sinker? Maybe that's why the gang hook arrangement works well as the sinker is puffing on the bottom and the bait comes behind by a metre or so.

Spot on brad yea it works like a teaser. I think alot has to do with the puff of sand that attracts them and a sinker would give the same effect maybe a lure would work better because it includes vibration.
yak pb's 105cm spottie mac, 1.2m Spanish mackerel, 35cm mosses perch, 32cm bream, 36cm tailor, 56cm flathead, 55cm estuary cod, 42cm squire, 40cm sweetlip, 1.25m cobia, 95cm longtail, 45cm Maori cod, 45cm red emperor.
jayman
Valued Member

Postby jayman » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:21 pm

Sounds like a good variation I could see it working with either a plastic or ganged bait while drift fishing but would having the extra weight of the sinker affect the action of a lure while trolling? I agree with having too many lines out a tangle is inevitable :lol:
jayman
Valued Member

Postby foxx1 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Something differant I heard off was to take two chux wipes place inbetween a big slice of cheese then heat in the microwave so that the cheese becomes inbedded in the wipes, once cool cut into stips and rig. The idea was that the chux would add the colour and the odour of the cheese act as an attraction agent. Sounds silly enough to work.
foxx1
Valued Member

Kayak: australis foxx

Next

Return to Main