Main • The Future of Fishing....?

This is the main discussion forum.

The Future of Fishing....?

Postby shabby » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:36 pm

G'Day All

Wile procrastinating a little at work (yep it's pay day in payroll! system shut down = my fortnightly fix of fishing news). Anyways I thought back to my weekend of non fishing but remembered a lovely conversation I had at the pier with an elderly gentleman, in which we discussed everything fishing from species to the super fishing trawler and everything in between.

But one part of the conversation keeps coming to the front of my mind and that's the discussion on fishing gear/technologies (i,e: rods, reels, etc. etc). We must have covered just about every innovation in fishing over the years (that I could remember anyways) keep in mind I'm still only relatively young.

But it got me thinking and the point of this thread is to see what everyone else out there thinks the future of fishing will be, where it is heading and what they think/what they would like to see happen in the future it could be anything from technologies (rods, reels) to inventions like the hook-ez and lure retrievers and absolutely anything else you can think of.

Cheers
PB's: Cod 60cm+ - YellowBelly 50cm (approx) - GT 55cm - Flatty 58cm - Snapper 45cm - Bream (Tiny) - Luderic 25cm
shabby
Valued Member

Kayak: Malibu Mini x Fishing

Re: The Future of Fishing....?

Postby kayakone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:14 pm

nezevic wrote:
eric wrote:More resilient graphite. :(

Oh how I wish. I still haven't learnt it seems after multiple broken dreams.

Jon
If it is that fragile, and expensive, why not use glass? ( I know that the guys doing hundreds of casts per day prefer them due to the lower weight). Hey, obviously I'm not a connoisseur of the finer points of graphite, and it was you that explained 'high sticking' with graphite rods to me, and the danger. It seems you have to be constantly aware of the butt angle in a big fight....otherwise 'kaboom!'

If you're not casting frequently, why not glass, which is cheaper, and less fragile?

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby Ado » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:11 pm

eric wrote:Glas is dead tech. Lots of it is still being sold, but all the new fittings and design elements are going on the carbons. Essentially glass is about making ugly sticks for the old timers.

I'm an old timer.

I've never trusted myself with graphite. I have two solid glass tip composite rods (2-4kg and 3-7kg) that cost me $50 each (high end for glass tips). No chance of breaking them no matter how clumsy I am. Wouldn't echange them for quids. A 2kg graphite rod would be handy for tossing tiny poppers, but otherwise I don't see the point when most of what I do is trolling or tossing plastics.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby Ado » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:14 pm

Nano engines in lures.
Species identifying sounders.
A leader knot that doesn't break.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby kayakone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Ado wrote:Nano engines in lures.

Now you're onto it!

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby foxx1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Had two glass rods arrive today, bought on flee bay for $2.46 each could not help myself. The purpose was purely to have them available for when my eight year old son would like to invite friends along fishing/camping so there is no need for any to miss out on the fun, nothing lost if broken.

Yes I have some more expensive gear for myself but as yet, five yak trips, I have only brought home donuts.

I guess the beauty of fishing is that it is a, sport/hobbie/way of life or for sustenance , activity that is available to the many people. The simplicity of fishing is what should be cherished but hey new gear is really cool too :D
foxx1
Valued Member

Kayak: australis foxx

Postby keza » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:11 pm

The sounder tells you, which, if any of the fish in the school are keepers.
The sounder has a gps and epirb built in and all functions can be voice activated, including adding a mark.
Line and hooks that start to dissolve after 48 hours of constant contact with salt.
Not need for knots, you put the 2 lines together, heat them and they weld.
Hooks made of a totally clear substance, like glass but not brittle.
Reels made of a lightweight ceramic, including the bearings. Rust, what's that.
Rods where you twist the butt to adjust the stiffness. Cast and then stiffen or visa versa.
And of course self gutting fish.
kerry
www.kerrywilson.net www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Postby grinner » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:43 pm

hay bud, kezas ideas are pretty awesome

re the fibreglass debate, long very soft tipped rods are probably still the way to go for general whiting, bream, tailor fishing . esp with baits.

the ultra sensitive tips and the better give seem to allow the fish to hook themselves before they realize they are hooked.

i think as we probably move to fishing being more of a catch and relase sport (maybe even an olympic sport, now theres an idea for the future of fishing)
we will see more emphasis on hooks and lures that pin fish nicely in the corner of the mouth.

worsterling was going on about some trocar type hook which he reckoned had better penetration. i didnt really catch it. but they will probably develop new styles of hook that penetrate more easily.(though i'm not sold on circles which seem all the rage)

again worterling was going on about some sort of heating process for carbon fibre which makes it better at lifting the fish. again i wasnt really paying attention as i always cook tea when his show is on but it sounded good.

my stradic c14 had some sort of anti rust carbon properties or something and was my favourite reel til my daughter dropped it over board, though i will buy another.

braid is coming a long way in terms of not making wind knots.

very interesting thread . i'll be interested in what people say. i'm a bit of a luddite though. ive always just tried to keep it really simple .

oh and people will definitely keep going lighter and lighter. dude caught a really good snapper on 3 lb line the other day. wouldnt have believed it til he showed me.
grinner
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: hobie revo

Postby kayakone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 pm

keza wrote:

The sounder tells you, which, if any of the fish in the school are keepers.
The sounder has a gps and epirb built in and all functions can be voice activated, including adding a mark.
Line and hooks that start to dissolve after 48 hours of constant contact with salt.
Not need for knots, you put the 2 lines together, heat them and they weld.
Hooks made of a totally clear substance, like glass but not brittle.
Reels made of a lightweight ceramic, including the bearings. Rust, what's that.
Rods where you twist the butt to adjust the stiffness. Cast and then stiffen or visa versa.
And of course self gutting fish.

Kerry
You lazy bugger (with intentional gap). You're taking all the fun out of it.

trev
trev

kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby blueyak » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Longer rods.
Ultra light line jigging techniques.
Hopefully a clear line (like flouro) with much less stretch so when you fish straight through on really deep plastics you can actually feel it.
Lures you can adjust to float, sink or suspend.
Jigheads that make your plastics swim with different actions.

Australians will actually learn to drop shot, and lots lots more.
blueyak
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby Barrabundy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Push button self casting rod.

No, hang on, mind powered self casting rod with intelligent aiming. You just think of when and where you want to cast and the lure/hook ends up there without the need to physically cast it there.

Cruise control for lure depth and speed. GPS tracking to ensure every possible path is fished from one location.

Incorporate a snag avoidance system into the above.

Species avoidance system (avoid undesireable bycatch).

"Turbo thrust" technology for self propulsion into mouth of target species when within preset range.

The list is endless.
Last edited by Barrabundy on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby foxx1 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Barrabundy wrote:Push button self casting rod.

No, hang on, mind powered self casting rod with intelligent aiming. You just think of when and where you want to cast and the lure/hook ends up there without the need to physically cast it there.

Cruise control for bith depth and speed. GPS tracking to ensure every possible path is fished from one location.

Incorporate a snag avoidance system into the above.

Species avoidance system.

"Turbo thrust" technology for self propulsion into mouth of target species when within preset range.

The list is endless.

Mind powered??? Now we are all f....d. :lol:
foxx1
Valued Member

Kayak: australis foxx

Postby bunsen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:31 pm

Accurate weather predictions would be nice.
I worry about tighter and tighter regulations on when, where and how we are allowed to fish, and how much we will have to pay in licensing fees to do so. The way things are going, the future will probably be having to buy a licence for every rod in your possession...
bunsen
Veteran Member

Kayak: Ocean Kayak Scrambler

Next

Return to Main