Main • Salmon intel thread.

This is the main discussion forum.

Salmon intel thread.

Postby keza » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 am

It's that time of year again when the salmon schools start to show up along the NSW coast.
Last year they were very fussy and at times would only take something the size of a fly.
I thought it might be good to run a thread where we could help each other out with what they seem to be feeding on at a certain time.
I saw three schools from the cliffs the other day and I'll be trying to find time to get out there and have a go at them.
I'll probably take a small metal slug, a small clear plastic with big eyes and as a last resort I could drag out the rig I made with a dehooked popper and a small fly a metre behind it.

If you get in to some or fail to, post up what you are trying here.
kerry
www.kerrywilson.net www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Re: Salmon intel thread.

Postby Scott » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Kerry, what would work for us a decade ago was a variation of your final rig. We would use a small hard body with a small fly a metre or so behind it. The other killer was these diamond shaped slugs. They were very heavy for their length. The small ones were very castable but with black hooks on them to shorten their profile they were only around the 25mm long. If you wanted to get your hands dirty, a white bait drifted down a mini cube trail, (like cubing for yellowfin on a small scale) would work well. We would often rig these with 8lb multistrand wire, enough to stop a bite off from a tailor but thin enough that we still got the odd red on it.
Scott
Site Administrator

Kayak: A shed full

Postby keza » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:32 am

eric wrote:https://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55300&hilit=ripper

I've never regarded salmon as a mysterious fish to catch. Unless your name is Chris.

Around here, sometimes the schools wont touch anything you throw at them.
Most of the time they are feeding on eyes, so it's hard to get them to hit anything bigger. The guys with fly rods seem to have no trouble though.
kerry

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Postby dru » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:35 pm

Must be time to hunting in the briney again. I like the sound of the small HB with fly attachment. What fly should I ask for at the tackle shop?
dru
Legendary Member

Kayak: TI + Profisha 475+Zegul 550+Carbonology Vault

Postby RedPhoenix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWYTrSZUAAELfgAAQUKeACrDiEIo////gMAFGqqiBNBMTTKbVP0k9TR6QHpij1DAA0aGjCMmg0aaAwSmkJo1NNDEjyaIAyND1G+TDFQDb3zQNeSLXLVE37+Hmhbl9sRtfAKub+JB4K2vfQ76NJ743ofrFrV0NhBEsBlHVKYvUAU0OseNM34aMdBc83vK90Oqr0fi/urmR5J/bnO6LWmQ+nLfpH6RUjFAqr6M2NfPZ+BkKMA8GhEAw7m4hPeM4tDsavZAbj57MWuL2F9HxIM3rExvte4VTUpI3HeAEjVsiUUqpcIv/Zha1zhwXylymVIZTk9tSmfR6pAkws6exB1WZtyFNlqrN6qgclaJTQ7QgYFcwnN8K3LCgPhQjwUH0XCFroFmTvjho0ICcNuKhcyfXIglewJkAVyE+hAxdUjv0znNtptlCLMOid5MytsNUf1HNkSmevhOOQmvgRSlYnJiTP8XckU4UJCE60mVA
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby keza » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:03 pm

dru wrote:Must be time to hunting in the briney again. I like the sound of the small HB with fly attachment. What fly should I ask for at the tackle shop?

I told them what I was doing and they gave me a small saltwater fly.
It isn't great to cast with the popper but you can troll it.
I bet the 2" plastic works well Ken. I have wondered about just adding bling to a small jig head.
kerry

yak pb's
keza
Legendary Member

Postby justcrusin » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Got about six on the weekend all on squidgy wrigglers on a 1/16 jig, strang hit for salmon as they were picking it up off the bottom with very little movement of the lure.

Cheers Dave
PRO TEAM MEMBER ofImage
http://www.austackle.com.au http://www.customlureart.com/
Member of the 2012and 2013 Australian Hobie worlds team http://www.hobiefishingworlds.com/
justcrusin
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie PA14

Postby Scott » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm

The other thing i remember using was small white bucktail jigs. I have got some 2" clear lightly flecked single tail grubs that go well on the salmon down here i would of loved them up there back in the day.
Scott
Site Administrator

Kayak: A shed full

Postby Ado » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:53 pm

RedPhoenix wrote:I miss salmon.Red,

Oh you poor thing.

I've never found them fussy down this way. If I see them then I know any plastic that hits the water will be scoffed within 10s. Gulp anything Shad.

The beach fisherman are nailing them down this way ATM (50cm+). The guys in the know put a floating feathered popper on a second dropper above the pilchard and that often gets taken.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby keza » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Ado wrote:
RedPhoenix wrote:I miss salmon.Red,

Oh you poor thing.

I've never found them fussy down this way. If I see them then I know any plastic that hits the water will be scoffed within 10s. Gulp anything Shad.

The beach fisherman are nailing them down this way ATM (50cm+). The guys in the know put a floating feathered popper on a second dropper above the pilchard and that often gets taken.

Is that the surf popper ?
Do they work from a yak ?
kerry

yak pb's
keza
Legendary Member

Postby Ado » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:08 pm

keza wrote:Is that the surf popper ?

Dunno. It's your sterotypical popper. Big face, short body, made of wood or even cork, long feathers hiding a single hook. Does that sound like a surf popper? They don;t use them as a popper. They just bob around floating just off the bottom.

keza wrote:Do they work from a yak ?

No idea. I imagine they would if served just above a maggoty pilchard.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby paulb » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Saw quite a few schools off Clontarf on Sunday arvo - was trying a white bait imitation lure that had salmon written all over it ( that's what the guy at the tackle shop told me) - unfortunately the salmon I encountered couldn't read.
paulb
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution

Postby john316 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Keza, if you want to tie your own I would suggest a very simple fly consisting of white feathers with a dark strand (perhaps peacock herl) at the top as this would mimic the dark on top and light underneath pattern of many baitfish. The upside of DIY is that you can make them the size and shape you want for where you are fishing...

cheers

John
john316
Elite Member

Kayak: A.I. and Revo.

Postby john316 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:51 pm

If a picture paints a thousand words...

I just tied these two up to illustrate. They are both on size one gamakatzu hooks, both have four white hackle feathers but have different treatment in the dark strands. One uses strands of olive ostrich feather and the other is from the dark portion of a bucks tail dyed blue. Both have a bit of red colour up front and the olive also has a few strands of crystal flash for some sparkle.

IMGP7370 (Small).JPG

gave me some entertainment tonight and I might even get to use them on the weekend...

cheers

john
john316
Elite Member

Postby john316 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Bertros wrote:Been wondering about doing a similar thing with the Damiki's John, but could you fish 3 or 4 of these at a time on a single rig? A little bit of extra weight and presence in the water couldn't be a bad thing, could it?

getting a bit of weight is easy enough as I could have wound on some lead wire or even a bit of lead tape before tying on the feathers... I would be using a fly rod so probably not more than one but it could be possible to make a string for trolling. I think they would possibly get fouled by the line and not give the movement typical of feathers, but I think that the original idea in this thread to drop it back from a d-hooked popper would be a great solution...

cheers

John
john316
Elite Member

Next

Return to Main