Main • SA: Pt Augusta power plant

This is the main discussion forum.

SA: Pt Augusta power plant

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:17 pm

I hear that kingfish are frequently caught in front of the Pt Augusta power plant, and I really fancy catching one of those off a kayak so I have a few logistical questions for anyone that might know.

First of all, is this ramp publicly accessible?
http://goo.gl/maps/KuJA
I followed the road north right up to an intersection and didn't find any gates, but the satellite images could be outdated. If this ramp is off limits or there is some other reason I couldn't/shouldn't launch there and anyone knows another good spot, I'll put your name in a trip report with a photo of a nice kingfish :)

Also, on one hand this part of the gulf is really narrow and on the other it's really close to the top; are there any possible current issues? Any local hazards I should be aware of?

As far as fishing techniques are concerned, I'm planning on either trolling divers or poppers, paravaning a dead bait, or catching an ST or tommy and putting it on a circle hook with a bean sinker above and trolling that. I hear the mangroves opposite the station are a good place to find bait. I have a 20lb leader egg beater rig and a 30lb leader baitcaster I plan on using. Any advice or recs?
Squidley
Elite Member

Kayak: Yellow Emotion Stealth and Revo 11

Re: SA: Pt Augusta power plant

Postby fisher » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Its been many years since I've been there - but you used to be able to drive to that ramp. I've launched a boat there several times - but it is tidal and we could only get in or out around high tide. We used to get bait near the power lines on the other side. Good luck!
Yak PB's: Snapper - 68cm, 11 lb; Snook - 94cm; Bream - 46cm; Mulloway - 69cm; King George whiting - 47cm; Australian salmon 68cm, 8lb;
fisher
Elite Member

Kayak: Yellow Hobie Revo

Postby GlenelgKiller » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Hey Squidley. I did a bit of a reccy a couple of months back because im keen to get there sometime to chase kingies. Cant drive too far in to the power plant area and couldnt see a good launch option there. However drove through pt augusta and out the other side to where the shacks are. Easy launch and not to far to paddle across. Was a reasonable amount of current running but cant really rate the risk. Others have been and should be able to give a first hand experience.
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie PA12 and Tarpon 100

Postby Zilch » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Squidley wrote: I have a 20lb leader egg beater rig and a 30lb leader baitcaster I plan on using.

In a yak, I would go with the 30lb outfit. That way you will have a chance and if the worse happens the yak will simply be towed around. Remember it is shallow their so the fish have no choice but to swim away (they can't go deep).

fisher wrote: We used to get bait near the power lines on the other side. Good luck!

Agree with fisher but if none their then straight out in front of the shacks, normally heaps of squid.

GlenelgKiller wrote: However drove through pt augusta and out the other side to where the shacks are.

As previously stated (shacks = squid :D )

I have only ever fished it in my little 16 footer (boat).
Click on the photo if you wish to enlarge.

315) Mine 13.75kg; Jason's 12kg; T.J's 11kg.jpg
315) Mine 13.75kg; Jason's 12kg; T.J.'s 11kg

319) 13.75kg. I like using  a live squid, under a ballon.jpg
319) I like using a live squid under a ballon

Frustrating place, you will see 10 for everyone you catch. The mongrels will push your ballons around without taking your live squid :twisted: . You often have to tease them EG. pull or bait away from them, throw a heap of pilchards cubes at them if they are just mucking around with your bait, splash / throw water in.

Good luck.

Steve
KISS ; keep it simply steve
Even the the fish don't know where my secret fishing spots are !
Zilch
Veteran Member

Kayak: none

Postby GlenelgKiller » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Holy crap! Could get that one to tow you back to adelaide in a yak!! Can you find big ones within paddling distance in metro waters at all Steve?
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks guys, the info's going to help. Steve if I hook a kingy like one of those I'd better pack a V sheet. Interesting that you could see the fish, I wonder if they'd take a surface lure.
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:13 pm

There's gotta be a comp for fish:kayak size ratio, I might have a shot at it at Pt Augusta :D
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:47 pm

By the way are these the shacks you're talking about?
Looks like the google maps photo is from 2009
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby GlenelgKiller » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Thats them mate. Next to the El Alamein army camp. My uncle had one of those shacks when i was a kid. Great memories of fishing and pulling out razor fish on the low tide.
Cheers

Sean
GlenelgKiller
Veteran Member

Postby Zilch » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Yes they are the shacks where we get our squid.

Make sure you have a shark shield, mate had a 10 - 12 White around his boat once, he has also seen a huge Sunfish (strange place due to currents sometimes). Years ago a big school of Dolphin Fish were up their, go figure. Another club (ANSA. BWSFC.) member use to do very well by simply bait fishing the wharf's corner of the entrance to the hot water, he would get snapper and kings

GlenelgKiller wrote: Can you find big ones within paddling distance in metro waters at all Steve?

I hooked one about a year ago up near the hot water outlet at the Torrens Island Power Station, on bait. He just played with me and even let me get him about 4 metres (could clearly see him) from the yak twice. I had no hope and was getting sore, so I let him go (can't remember if I cut the line or simply snapped it on purpose).

Squidley wrote: Interesting that you could see the fish

If they are their you will see them (except if your trolling), worse of two evils EG. not catching anything and wishing that you could at least see one, or seeing them (knowing they are their) but they willn't play ball :twisted: .

Squidley wrote: I wonder if they'd take a surface lure.

If you see them and they are not interested then a popper would be good. You need to get them angry / agressive so don't be afraid to pull your lure away from it on several cast then do it again but this time only do 1 -2 hard jerks, then only do a half hearted one if the king is following.

The best one our little group caught was Alan's 19kg. but there are bigger ones their if you are lucky / unlucky enough :lol:

Click on the photo if you wish to enlarge.

317) Alan's 19kg.jpg
317) Alan's 19kg

Steve
Zilch
Veteran Member

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:22 pm

Thanks again guys
Zilch wrote:Click on the photo if you wish to enlarge.

Is that really necessary? :)
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby solatree » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Friggn hell - Steve - what fish haven't you got ! Its well worth a trip Chris. A group of us went up there a couple of years back. No luck but we had fun - and OldDood fell in love - see viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40487&hilit=pixie#p420139
regards Andrew

It's a solitary Yacca
solatree
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Sport + Mission Catch 390 + Xstream 420

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Drewboy wrote:OldDood had mentioned how blessed he would feel if he was to get what he came for... "sort of like being kissed on the dick by a pixie", were his words as I recall

hahaha

I wonder if he brought the outriggers along with a 20 kg kingfish in mind
Squidley
Elite Member

Postby Zilch » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:47 pm

Squidley wrote:Thanks again guys
Zilch wrote:Click on the photo if you wish to enlarge.

Is that really necessary? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buy a boat then tow it to NSW.
We hooked some real mosters and even Paul admitted the ones he landed were the smaller ones.

Dare I say click on the photo to enlarge ;-) :twisted: :lol:

227 (Copy).jpg
227 copy

226 (Copy).jpg
226 copy

225 (Copy).jpg
225 copy

224 (Copy).jpg
224 copy

Steve
Zilch
Veteran Member

Postby Squidley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:52 pm

That's not far from Southwest Rocks right? Maybe I'll make it there for that February do one year
Squidley
Elite Member

Next

Return to Main