Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

SA: - Snapper and a Grumpy OldDood

14K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  GlenelgKiller 
#1 ·
Sorry guys no Snapper photos just a bloody annoyed OldDood. :-x

Due to the Snapper frenzy in metro Adelaide there are a few local yakkers that are taking really stupid risks.
Foreword - If you want to kill yourself that is your problem. But I could bet my butt as soon as someone hurts themselves due to there own stupidity our nanny state government is going to bring out some legislation which will prevent the dumb ones from hurting themselves and will also stop the majority of us that try to manage the risks from doing what we enjoy.
E.g. They will ban all yakkers from going out in the dark or something even more bloody restrictive!

Just one recent example -
Last night there were two yakkers sitting in the dark with no bloody lights at all.:-x
The sea was flat calm and perfect for boats to set their throttle to maximum.
Its not bloody rocket science!

Please everybody carry at least the minimum safety gear and make sure you have a fall back plan for any contingency.
Kayaking is inherently risky and you need a plan to manage the risks.
I suppose the next step would be to ask the water police to start doing spot checks but that would be an absolutely last resort and we should be able to self regulate I hope.

Sorry for the rant but I can foresee a death in the not to distant future from a) Hit by a boat. b). A drowning c). Hypothermia
They are only bloody fish!

See less See more
#2 ·
OldDood said:
Last night there were two yakkers sitting in the dark with no bloody lights at all.:-x
The sea was flat calm and perfect for boats to set their throttle to maximum.
Its not bloody rocket science!
:shock: :twisted:

Steve

#4 ·
You know it makes sense. By law any craft out after dark has to have single overhead all around white light. Another thought I've had is the snapper have been around for a while surprised there hasn't been a shark encounter.

#8 ·
Man you're grumpy!! Great call though. They were there for at least another half hour after you headed in and it was pitch black by then. To top it off they headed back Glenelg way (ie towards the nearest marina and boat ramp). I could hear them but no way i could even make out their outline. Very stupid indeed.

#10 ·
Looking at the Posts on a certain other Forum it looks as though a few more ill prepared Yaks are going to be pulled out of hibernation due to the lure of the recent Snapper activity. Unfortunately i suspect they don't even know this website exists & the valuable info contained within.

#12 ·
Murphysegg said:
Looking at the Posts on a certain other Forum it looks as though a few more ill prepared Yaks are going to be pulled out of hibernation due to the lure of the recent Snapper activity. Unfortunately i suspect they don't even know this website exists & the valuable info contained within.
Know the one you mean and they are generally lake fishers. There are a few experienced guys there trying to steer them right though. Safety not a key topic as it is here

#14 ·
Squidley said:
For how close we are it's a PFD and an all round light after dark
Thanks for your support guys-

Regulations for SA as follows from
http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport% ... +equipment
(PS - I would never go out without an anchor just in case I was disabled somehow e.g. Slipped disc, occupational hazard for old bastards like me.)

It is a bit confusing as it does not seem to mention semi-protected water where kayaks are concerned.
Maybe Andy Solatree can interpret for us?

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
OldDood said:
Foreword - If you want to kill yourself that is your problem. But I could bet my butt as soon as someone hurts themselves due to there own stupidity our nanny state government is going to bring out some legislation which will prevent the dumb ones from hurting themselves and will also stop the majority of us that try to manage the risks from doing what we enjoy.
!
Oh for the good old days where evolutionary forces killed the dumb ones.

IMG-20120804-WA0000.jpg

Attachments

#25 ·
Berger said:
OldDood said:
!
Oh for the good old days where evolutionary forces killed the dumb ones.

That is great information Berger!!! :lol:
I have been wondering for over 50 years why I always have a coughing fit when I go swimming. :eek:
So I am supposed to hold my breath when my head is covered? :lol:
I am not convinced so I am going to go stick my head in a bucket of boiling water right now. For 30 minutes just to make sure you are correct!!!
There is nothing else I need to be warned about is there? :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.