Trip Reports • Hawkesbury's finest PB BREAM 40+ :)

Go on then, tell us how you went...

Hawkesbury's finest PB BREAM 40+ :)

Postby GetSharkd » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:44 pm

With the weather forcast for 15-20knot wind all day , I was expecting today was going to be a no go, but thankfully Poppyd was keen to get out and chase some Jews and it didn't take any encouragement for me to pack the car regardless of the weather forcast

6 am on the water and the wind was beginning to build :( , so we headed off to find some action in the well known Hawkesbury areas

I headed for the pylons as Poppyd went for a deep wall, knowing he had time before the change was due . Within seconds of reaching my spot, the sounder came alive with signs of promise :D Thankfully the tide and wind were heading in the same direction at this stage so it was just a matter of setting a drift were I could work the plastic through the hit zone , I got lucky , first drift, BANG, short fight and a soapie was in the yak, 51cm :( good start but not what I ordered. Poppyd and myself have been on a mission of late to land a metre plus model, caught a few off boats / land , but so far the yak has a hoddo I can't shake and it hasn't eventuated :lol:
Any way , second drift , nothing, third, WHACK, I knew immediately it was a better fish, but my excitment was premature as the line went soft, XXXXXX !!!! , pulled the hook ! By now poppyd had also realised my frantic arm waving meant turn your bloody radio on and get over here, so he joined the party. Numerous more drifts for nothing, and few bumps and missed strikes kept us entertained.
The bites began to slow as did the tide, so I discarded the lucky craft paddle tail rubber in favour of the 3 inch gulp shrimp, next drift this......

Bream 41cm 2 .jpg

HELL YEAH, PB BREAM

Things slowed again with only a few more flathead landed after that bream so we made a call to move on. Now that the tide was coming in, the wind was working against us, and keeping contact with our lures was becoming increasingly difficult. We persisted and managed to find schools of choppa tailor but nothing bigger lurking underneath. The call was made to make our way to Bar Point for the next tide change, stoping to work a previuosly productive wall on the way. With the wind easing, Poppyd made a call it was the calm before the storm :shock: bloody blue jinx ;-) :lol: , it howled through not long after that, so we called it a day and sailed home on my built in PA sail, Poppyd mad use of a net with a jumper over it, funny to watch as I speed off at 5kph GPS ( no peddaling ) , atleast until the wind died again.
sailing PA.jpg

Good day

Tight lines
Brent
Weapon of choice HOBIE PRO ANGLER aka Get Shark'd
GetSharkd

Kayak: YAKless for a while

Re: Hawkesbury's finest PB BREAM 40+ :)

Postby Brez » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Nice bream and well done upgrading the pb 8)
Brez
pb's murray cod 61cm , bass 44.7cm f/l (wild) 42cm f/l (dam), GP 54.5cm , SP 46cm , EP 42cm f/l , Bream 397mm f/l (YF) and 394mm f/l (Black), rainbow trout 52cm , silver trevor 44cm , snapper 47cm
https://www.facebook.com/NextBendLures
Brez
Valued Member

Kayak: PA + winner thunder + alpacka packraft

Postby Barrabundy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Didn't know they made them that big, awesome bream, well done!
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby Marty75 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Awesome bream mate!

Did you launch at the boat ramp just off the F3 and make your way to the railway line or launch somewhere closer?

I've never tried around there in the yak but been tempted!

Nice fish

Marty
PBs: Kingfish 74cm Bream 41cm Flathead 68cm Tailor 51cm Hammerhead 6ft Salmon 70cm Bonito 56cm Hairtail 95cm Spotted Mackerel 95cm
Hobie Revo Serenity II rigged here
Stealth Evo 465 (ex-IndieDog) rigged here
Marty75
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo_Evo 465

Postby GetSharkd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:19 am

Marty75 wrote:Did you launch at the boat ramp just off the F3 and make your way to the railway line or launch somewhere closer?

Launch at the F3 ramp or brooklyn, depends on tide direction , which ever is easiest ;-) Only issues is the occasional tool box in a boat who has no clue
GetSharkd

Postby poppyd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Don't forget the jet ski's !!!
I think I am going to have to update my sail I was only just getting over 4 kph. Craking Bream ! I am still laughing that there was 4 boats there with rods hanging off them everwhere and along comes a guy in a Yak fishing with plastics and catching all the fish ! I bet they were thinking GET SHARKED !!!!!!! LOL
No you cant park your car in there ! Thats for all my toys.
poppyd

Kayak: Hobie Outback+Tomski

Postby twojay » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Nice bream there mate. I have been trying to pick up a Jew around the bridges for far too long now. What's the go with the tides? What times you reckon fishing there for a good chance at a Jew? Thanks
twojay

Kayak: 2012 Hobie Revo 13

Postby GetSharkd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:14 pm

twojay wrote:What's the go with the tides? What times you reckon fishing there for a good chance at a Jew?

Mate I've read plenty of theories on ideal tides etc, personally I don't worry about specific tides too much anymore, although some times a bite can be on in the last 1/2 hour before dead low or just after etc for a certain location , I just concentrate my efforts on finding any signs on the sounder and plugging away during tide changes as a general rule but they will hit your lure if it passes under there nose too not in a change, ( I'm sure there's guys out there that have a better understanding than me on this ). I think provided your in contact with your lure and in the "hit" zone, it's just a matter of been quick to detect a bite and set the hook .

I got to say, ever since i lashed out and bought a G-Loomis rod, the feel is like no other fishing rod I've ever used before for bite detection. I think that goes along way to helping when fishing plastics. :D

Good luck, hope it helped in some way

Brent
GetSharkd

Postby paulthetaffy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Nnice fish Brent! I really must make it up that way sometime to chase a jew (never landed one). Where do you launch from again?
paulthetaffy
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution

Postby GetSharkd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 am

paulthetaffy wrote:I really must make it up that way sometime to chase a jew (never landed one). Where do you launch from again?

G'day Paul, I launch either at Brooklyn boat ramp or the boat ramp beisde F3 , nice and easy ! Let us know if you want company whenever your keen to go :D
GetSharkd

Postby Scott » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi Brent, thanks for the report mate. It took me back to many days happily fishing the Hawkesbury and Berowa. We used to get jews of a night on big hard bodies around the bridges there back in the day.
Scott
Site Administrator

Kayak: A shed full

Postby GetSharkd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Scott wrote:It took me back to many days happily fishing the Hawkesbury and Berowa. We used to get jews of a night on big hard bodies around the bridges there back in the day.

It's certainly a great system to fish with so many options . A night sortie is definately on the will do very very soon list :D Will have to break out the rapala red head on that mission too.
GetSharkd

Postby MrX » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Haha - I'm with Poppyd. That's no bream - it's a snapper.

Well done for taking on the weekend wind.

Count me in for the night session.
'FISH
...OR
CUT BAIT'

Yak PB's: Manly Jetcat (true!); 93cm Spotted Mackerel; 92cm Spanish Mackerel; 85cm Kingfish; 77.5cm Snapper; 73cm Aussy Salmon; 70cm Amberjack; 64cm Bonito; 60cm Groper (released); 59cm Taylor; 51cm Silver Trevally; 1m + Bronze Whaler; 127cm Hairtail; 1.5m+ Hammerhead
MrX
Elite Member

Kayak: Revo and Fisha

Postby GetSharkd » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm

MrX wrote:Count me in for the night session.

Will definately keep you guys in the loop .
GetSharkd

Postby Ado » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:45 pm

That's gotta be 43 cm with the Gatesy stretch. That is a huge yellowfin.

The current through those bridges scare the life of of me in boats, let alone a kayak. I'm sure the ocean would feel safer. I've always found that area really difficult to fish. So much water, so many choices.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Next

Return to Trip Reports