Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

SA Trip and Fall Report: Pour out a reel 4 my dumped hobies

12K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  Ado 
#1 ·
The Revo 11 really likes to turn around if you don't have the rudder down

The central crossbar snapped, but without any obvious hull damage instead of going home to sulk I took the outriggers off and headed out to sail without them. Thought it might've been the second big mistake I'd make that day in the swell and the ~15 knot wind but I found it quite comfortable sailing without the training wheels. Just had to keep my hand on the mainsheet and clear of the cleat. The outriggers definitely helped me concentrate on the fishing when I was out today though.

Thanks to Binks for sorting me out for replacement parts for not a lot of cash, thanks to that (and the absence of hull damage) I was back in the saddle with my inflatable saddlebags the next day and today :D. I put the outriggers on after I launch now.

#4 ·
Just watched it about 6 times - still laughing and wincing - Love the compilation - especially removing those beach stones before you launch into the waves so you don't scratch the new hull - if only you knew what was about to happen ! And what a way to end with those words summing it all up at the finale "F...ing shore break...yep sure broke"

#6 ·
Thanks guys, after all that I was happy it was a relatively inexpensive lesson. I'm glad I got a laugh out of the trip at least Andy :D Sean, I have a bad habit of exiting out the side with the least obstacles, irrespective of which side the wave is of the kayak, but I suppose the mast digging in put the brakes on it. Thanks Jason, it's all part of the kayak familiarisation process ;)

#9 ·
Spectacular fails Chris! I was pissing myself at your determination to do yourself some serious damage by trying again and again. Great effort.
Last time I got between my Yak and the beach I ended up with two black eyes and concussion.
I reckon you might have to have a bit of a rethink on your launching technique before you win a Darwin award. :lol:

#14 ·
I hope that means you found your net Ubolt. Skorgard, on the second attempt that day I paddled the traditional way past the waves with the mast up and no outriggers and sailed it; wasn't as precarious as I thought it'd be. Drew, have you thought through the OH&S implications of employing me?

#19 ·
Thanks Nez and Davey for the tips; should the rudder be down and the fins unclipped before mounting? Avayak, I was a bit incensed until I had a closer look at the damage on the yak; in the end it was just the central crossbar snapped and a pair of bolts bent, and I felt I had a good chance of getting replacements quickly :)

G
#20 ·
I paddle out with the rudder up and the fins clipped. But i don't launch through broken stuff very often... I tend to launch and walk past the shore dump where possible then jump on and paddle like buggery.

#22 ·
Zilch said:
Safely on shore we could see OldDood's light still on and floating 10 metres from shore and Mark is off after it, crazy insane man ;-) :lol: Steve
;-) Yet another crazy insane man :lol:

Well done Chris, I would of packed up and gone home or cheated and sneaked out in a comfortable boat ;-)

Steve

#26 ·
Squidley said:
should the rudder be down and the fins unclipped before mounting?
Rudder definitely up for launching the Revo in those conditions, & if the fins are in, they MUST be bungyed against the hull, or they'll flap down & pin you to the spot until a helpful wave kisses your ass goodbye.

What Davey said otherwise, use that long skinny thing with blades on the end for launching (it does have a use after all), and don't deploy rudder or fins until out of the break zone. Make sure you've released your rudder keeper bungy (damhikt).

If you watch your video, there are significant pauses in your forward progress as you head out. You need to pick your moment and commit, concentrating on getting out of the white water fast. The nicest way to do it is to catch a backwash to scoot you out of the zone, but this requires some practice to perfect, and a fast mount at exactly the right time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.