Trip Reports • NSW: 28/8 Malabar

Go on then, tell us how you went...

NSW: 28/8 Malabar

Postby keza » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Simon and I hit the local waters (well not so local for him anymore, but I'm what matters).
I realised that I have been avoiding the rocks since I have had the new yak and I really need to get the first scratches over and done with (first cut is the deepest and all that).
Arriving before the sun came up, the conditions looked perfect, so why would you bother to take sea sickness tablets.
We hung around in the bay hunting for squid until the light came up. Simon found a nice one but the slippery little suckers evaded me yet again.

With the light coming up, it was time to head out around the cliffs, Simon had headed out 10 minutes earlier and had radioed to say it was a bit bumpy. Surely not.

On rounding the headland I get hit by the wind and it is all whitecaps with a about 1m of swell. WTF
Not on any forecast I've sen and I know Dave and Gary are sitting on a lake at Longy.
Anyway, on with the fishing, I can see Simon about a k away chasing birds, so I toss out a repala and head his way. I can now see 3 lots of birds working and head for the closest.
On approach these disappear, so i head for the next lot, on approach these disappear, so I head for the next lot, on approach these disappear, so I head for the next lot.
I could go on but I think you are getting the picture, this was turning into a bloody good work out but so far, I hadn't got a single cast into a school (plenty of casts that fell short).

I decided F the school, who needs them, I'll be my own man.
I headed back into the cliffs to get some shelter from the wind and have a breather, sure enough the trolled lure goes off and after was was really a pathetic fight a nice bonnie hits the deck. Thank god for that, Ive got some food, I've sold the doughnut, I can relax, except for the fact that bleeding the fish had made me start to feel a bit green.

Back on the troll, I decide to head up to magic point, there have been birds working there for 30mins, I'll pretend I'm not interested and they may stick around.
The zing of the reel is a bit hard to here over the wind, so it takes be a while to figure out what is making the kayak drag a bit.
This one felt different and the fish couldn't wait to jump out of the water and show me he was a salmon. I wish I was trolling lighter gear as he doesn't stand a chance but big repalas are too expensive.
After getting him to the yak, bleeding him etc, with have a quick check to se who is looking the greenist and then into the bag he goes.

The birds are still working, so I keep paddling. This school has been up for nearly an hour and I arrive to see the last of the baitfish being picked off by torpedo leaving very impressive bow waves.
Amazing, I grab the rod and the water is dead, they've gone.
I start the paddle back and although I could see schools dotted around the place, I've moved into the cold sweat faze and decide to head straight for the shelter of the bay.
Out of the wind and swell, I try again for squid, I still needed a starter, deep, shallow, fast, slow, it wasn't going to happen, so when Simon arrives with a lot of mileage but not a lot of fish, we head for the ramp.

By the time we get to the ramp, we notice that the wind has totally died and the sea has glassed out.
Ho hum.

Getting back home I found a cure for the scratches, Hang the kayak the other way around.

And if the scratches are really bad, coat them like this:

kerry
www.kerrywilson.net www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Re: NSW: 28/8 Malabar

Postby Wrassemagnet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Cracker report Kerry. Do you think they were Salmon at Magic Point too? By the way I think Malabar Is particularly bad for seasickness on account of the cliff backwash, I would have spewed for sure without meds.
RIP AKFF
Wrassemagnet
Elite Member

Kayak: Kubler-Ross

Postby paulsod » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Great read Keza, really enjoyed it.
Isn't seasickness a wonderful feeling.
My avatar shows how I look and feel if I don't take my seasickness pills. :lol:
Cheers
Paul
Best in yak:- Gold-spotted Sweetlip - 44cms, Snapper - 75cms, Estuary Cod - 54cms, Dusky Flathead - 49cms, Long Tail Tuna - 104cms, Grass Emperor - 54cms, School Mackerel - 64cms, Giant Trevally- 63cms, Mulloway - 89cms
paulsod
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback - Stealth Supalite X - A.I

Postby avayak » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Pretty fishies. Hard to imagine there being a swell. Longy was still as. Absolutely fishless up our way but we wern't burleying.
avayak
Elite Member

Kayak: bathtub

Postby Dodge » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 am

Certainly a challenging outing with both fish and conditions mate.

And in some years of reading reports that is the first time i have seen that ramp wave free.

And suggest you check whether gift wrapping the yak in a tarp is good when stored. When I first got the swing 7 years ago I was a like new mother, and because it was stored outside wrapped it in a tarp same as yours.

On a summers day had to get something inside the hull after an outing and found under the tarp it was red hot, so did a thermometer check over about a week and it was consistently hotter under the tarp than exposed to full sunlight. From that point I removed the tarp and just draped a rectangle of shade cloth over the yak which gave a measure of protection and far cooler.

Prior to owning a yak, an outboard dealer some years before had told me not to wrap the outboard as it stuffed the electrics by sweating.
Cheers RICHO

member of Team Old Farts and Team GREEN GINGER

Kayaks ..... Perception Swing, yellow/lime "T IV" on UHF 29 ..... Pacer, pink ..... homemade timber Anon Lures

Accept that some days you're the pidgeon, and on other days you're the statue
Dodge
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Perception Swing on UHF29 - and Pacer

Postby keza » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 am

It is actually a boat cover and is a thin fabric and reflective silver. The kayak is also on the south side of the house and only gets touched by the tiniest bit of sun.
I haven't noticed it getting warm at all but I will definitely keep an eye on it now.
Thanks for that Richo.
kerry

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Postby keza » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 am

Jim, I reckon you are right about Malabar, the place is never calm and makes me sick more than anywhere else I fish.
It is a pretty fishy place though and does give you a few options.
I need to rebuild my relationship with squid, as I feel we have drifted apart.
kerry

yak pb's
keza
Legendary Member

Postby Davey G » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am

nice feet.

nice pics

nice yak

nice fish

nice report
Sunshine Coast Surf and Sports Photography
http://www.surfshotsnoosa.com ; http://www.facebook.com/surfshotsnoosa
Davey G
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: Neglected Red one

Postby Ado » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 pm

The toes are covered. Pass.
So you don't want to scratch her, but you chase squid? :?

Great report and wonderful photos as always. It seems the pelagics are going nuts around Sydney atm. Not much down here that I've seen on my walks.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby kayakone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:19 pm

Wrassemagnet wrote:Cracker report Kerry. Do you think they were Salmon at Magic Point too? By the way I think Malabar Is particularly bad for seasickness on account of the cliff backwash, I would have spewed for sure without meds.

Jim/Kerry

It's called 'clapitos'. Clapitos occurs when a large wave bounces off a cliff face and collides with the wave behind it, turning the sea into an aqueous trash compactor. It is hell on small craft such as kayaks.

A 2 metre swell (not breaking due to deep water), will run up to the cliff face/rock shelf, bounce off and run back out to sea, clashing with the next incoming swell. It can easily produce a sharp peak exceeding 3 metres, and resulting sea sickness due to a very confused sea state. Particularly prevalent where deep water + swell meets cliff faces or steep rock shelves.

If parelleling cliffs you are better off well out to sea where the effect is reduced.

cheers dears

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby Wrassemagnet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Those feet are proof that you're not only from Atlantis but also a hobbit Kerry :)

I want to try the deeper reef past the heads for some squid using a paternoster set up one day. Have you ever picked up any from the deeper bits?
RIP AKFF
Wrassemagnet
Elite Member

Postby keza » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Wrassemagnet wrote:Those feet are proof that you're not only from Atlantis but also a hobbit Kerry :)

I want to try the deeper reef past the heads for some squid using a paternoster set up one day. Have you ever picked up any from the deeper bits?

I haven't Jim, but I have seen the guys in a tinny bag out and i know where they were.
Lets' give it a go.

I was waiting for someone to notice the 4 toes, I thought sbd would be jumping on that one.
Remember, I am from NZ and these shoes cover my hooves.
kerry

yak pb's
keza
Legendary Member

Postby Wrassemagnet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:28 pm

Ok but only if you promise not to give me the clapitos :lol:
RIP AKFF
Wrassemagnet
Elite Member

Postby SkybluCraig » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm

This whets the apetite.

After a long and rather expensive renovation of the house I'm back home and ready to get into the fish. Just need to locate the yak, rods and paddle amongst the chaos and we'll be back out there.

Looking forward to a better spring fishing wise than last year which was really quiet. Hoping the bonnies stick about.
Part time Squid Whisperer
Back in the game!
SkybluCraig

Kayak: OK Prowler Elite - Skyblue Jnr

Postby dru » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:14 pm

SkybluCraig wrote:This whets the apetite

Yep. Got me thinking. Great report Kerry.
dru
Legendary Member

Kayak: TI + Profisha 475+Zegul 550+Carbonology Vault

Return to Trip Reports