Trip Reports • QLD: 05/05-12/05 Fraser Island

Go on then, tell us how you went...

QLD: 05/05-12/05 Fraser Island

Postby Bdahm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:31 pm

Now that sufficient time has passed from the big fish of Decay and Redphoenix’s west coast Fraser trip, I thought it was time to put up my Fraser trip report. I have been doing this trip for the last couple of years, and have always had a brilliant time. Some of you might remember my report from 2010.

Similar to last trips, this is not strictly a kayaking trip – but the kayaks certainly provide a good excuse to head to some of the more remote parts of Fraser. The plan is to travel light (although not that light – we are taking a landcrusier, not say a suzuki swift), and catch enough fish to ensure we don’t go hungry.

Hope it is of interest to some of you - I certainly enjoyed it. Click on pics to enlarge.

Day One

As it was a week-long trip, the plan was to camp at two different places, and the tides looked good for the first camp to be up the top, Sandy Cape.

We really got lucky with the weather on the trip, with day one being a brilliant day, indicative of the weather we were to have for the whole week.

3.jpg
On the barge - looking back at Inskip Pt

This was a big driving day, my brother and I leaving from the Gold Coast, picking up our cousin in Brisbane and then heading up the whole length of the island.

The rocks of Nkgala and Browns were passable (despite what we heard talking to guys on the way up the island), although you had to work at some spots.

1.jpg
Step up...

2.jpg
Avoiding the holes

We reached the cape mid afternoon, set up camp from the pick of the spots (as there was no-one up here – the way I like it).

Caught a few whiting and dart for tea using pipis collected early in the day further down the island, and then set up some heavy gear and waited for the sun to go down for the evening’s entertainment.

4.jpg
Who's getting the rums

5.jpg
The entertainment - on schedule

Before people ask about the rig in the photo– My hooks had actually tangled with another set of gangs that this shark was already wearing as lip jewellery. I was able to remove both before sending him on his way.

Day Two

The plan today was to spend some time on the eastern beach. North of browns rocks you are likely to be the only set of wheel tracks on the beach, and it is great to be experiencing Fraser without the crowds.

1A.jpg
Hate these crowds...and the weather

The day was spent on typical east coast Fraser activities, such as exploring the dunes and the hind-dune lakes, having a bit of a “flotsam fossick” (all the rum bottles and coconuts you would ever need – as well as some hard hats which were to make an appearance through-out the holiday) as well as catching a few worms, and turning them into more dart for dinner (mindful that we have to catch food if we want to eat).

No spectacular fish, but putting out a dart fillet on a set line over lunch provided further entertainment.

2A.jpg
More entertainment

3A.jpg
Sending him on his way

A nice lazy day enjoying not being at work, topped off with an evening’s walk on the Sandy Cape sand dunes, watching the "super moon" moonrise.

4A.jpg
Why the hardhat...just because

5A.jpg
Last edited by Bdahm on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bdahm

Kayak: Hobie Quest

Re: QLD: 05/05-12/05 Fraser Island

Postby Bdahm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Day Three

Today it was time for the kayaks to make an appearance, with a plan to drive to the lighthouse (which is the end of the permitted area for vehicles up this end of the island) and then paddle down the beach until we felt like turning around again.

I was paddling my Hobie quest, my brother has a Viking predator (an upgrade from the lime green pacer of a few years past), and my cousin has a smaller inflatable (as we wouldn’t let him strap anything else to the roof – I wouldn’t follow us up the highway as it is…)

1B.jpg
Setting out

I was slightly apprehensive setting out. Two years ago we had an interesting experience with a couple of tiger sharks in this part of the world, which I was not too keen to repeat.

As it turns out however, I got over this apprehension soon enough when a little way into the paddle we see some birds working a little way offshore. After a short pep talk, we leave our cousin and his inflatable on the beach, and head off chasing the birds. A short time later, three casts have resulted in 3 mack tuna, which is more than enough fish flesh to feed us for a couple of meals.

2B.jpg
Fish on

3B.jpg
Best of the three

4B.jpg
Lots of fins out here...but all the right sort

We paddle back in, happy to have conquered our fear and caught a few fish as well.

5B.jpg
It was a good call to leave him on the beach

The rest of the paddle was fairly uneventful, but it was good to stretch the shoulders out in what is a really incredible part of the world.

The afternoon was spent having a snooze, and then a swim and collecting some more water from a little secret spring.

rsz_6b.jpg
Anyone else seen the lighthouse from this angle?

Tuna for dinner – washed down with a rum or three, or four…who’s counting.

Day Four

It was time to move camp today, so after a big tuna breakfast (yes…I can even eat day old mack tuna…I must be a good cook), and a leisurely morning, we packed up and set off to follow the tide down the beach.

It was a fairly slow trip back down over the rocks, as we were coming through at a higher (although dropping) tide.

1D.jpg
You should have seen what was out the other side

2D.jpg
Step down

Our second and last campsite was to be about half way down the island, on the western side. We crossed the island on the Woralie track, which (like most of the island at the moment) had plenty of water on it.

3D.jpg
Underbody carwash

Once on the western side we cross a few creeks, and pull up at a great little site that we found on this trip last year.

4D.jpg
Our driveway for the next few days

Because of the slow trip chasing the tide, there wasn’t too much to do but set up camp and put out a few crab pots in a nearby estuary (using the rest of the tuna as bait…even I have my limits).
Last edited by Bdahm on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bdahm

Re: QLD: 05/05-12/05 Fraser Island (work in progress)

Postby Bdahm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Day Five

This is an incredible part of the world to wake up to. I don’t want to rub it in, so I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves.

1E (Large).jpg
A nice grassy beach-side spot (with no bugs)

2E (Large) (Medium).jpg
Creek frontage (with rope swing)

3E.jpg
And a seemingly private beach (ours were the only wheel tracks for the whole time we were here)

4E.jpg
And best of all - all you can eat muddies

Today was spent pretty close to camp, just exploring the creek and estuary.

5E.jpg

Day Six

The plan today was to head down to the Moon Point estuary.

After collecting a few more crabs for breakfast and lunch, we headed back inland to loop down an inland track to the southern side of the point.

It would have been much quicker to head down the western beach, but with only one car, a couple of serious creeks to cross and a healthy respect for the western side sand we decided on the longer inland route.

It was well worth the trip though.

1C.jpg
Blue skies, blue water

The fishing was easy (though just average whiting and bream), and the crabbing was easier.

2C (Large).jpg
This big buck muddie was just walking past, and was easy to scoop up to add to other crabs for lunch

After a few hours on the water, we returned to the car for lunch, saving the fish for tea.

3C.jpg
I need to work on my crab wrangling skills

4C (Large).jpg
My cousin - keeping a safe distance

5C (Medium).jpg
Lunch!
Last edited by Bdahm on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bdahm

Re: QLD: 05/05-12/05 Fraser Island

Postby Bdahm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Day Seven

This was our last full day on the island, but we still had plenty of things we wanted to get done.

After breakfast, we headed to the mouth of the nearby creek, to fish the estuary on the high tide.

4F.jpg
Plenty of fish around the snags

I myself used the opportunity to try the more direct approach of a hand spear

5F.jpg
Here fishy fishy fishy

6F.jpg
The results - filleted and beer battered, these were a nice entrée to the mud crab main course for dinner

Later in the day, and on the dropping tide we headed north from camp, further up into platypus bay. Driving along the beach, we spotted this old girl.

1F.jpg

2F.jpg

I don’t think she was in a good way, with no tracks up the beach, meaning she had been sitting there at least since the high tide. However, she did move off once she got sick of us.

3F.jpg
Swimming off

The rest of the day was spent in the kayaks. I was keen to catch a good sized golden trevally, worthy of an akff trip report, but was sadly disappointed. However, there is always next time.

Day Eight

Just a travelling day today, heading back to the real world, so no good photos for you, other than this metaphorical sunset shot.

7F.jpg
The end

It was a brilliant trip, with incredible weather, in a perfect part of the world. Shame about the company. ;-)

PS

Did I mention there was a rope swing?

8F.jpg

9F.jpg

10F.jpg
Last edited by Bdahm on Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bdahm

Postby BIGKEV » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Nice work getting in early and posting the next few days ready to edit to ensure you get an un-interupted trip report. If I had a moderator cap I would edit one of your days right in the middle just to mess with your head.

Looking forward to the remainder of your report.

Kev
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby Bdahm » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Kev

The great and all powerful akff mods (and handsome...did I mention handsome) wouldn't do that to me now would they.

A little spoiler alert - I do not catch a golden trevally anything like the one you pulled off the Marloo on your last trip unfortunately, but I hope you will stick around anyway.

Tony
Bdahm

Postby dru » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:14 pm

It's been many years since I visited Fraser, and never with a yak. Gods own country for sure.

Fantastic pics, brilliant report. Bring on the rest. Love your work.
dru
Legendary Member

Kayak: TI + Profisha 475+Zegul 550+Carbonology Vault

Postby kayakone » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Got me Tony.

Should I go to bed, or wait with rum bottle for the rest?

Great stuff in heaven on earth.

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby RackRaider » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Loved your last Fraser Report, just came back from there at easter, could'nt get a shark no matter how hard I tried.
Looking forward to the rest of your report.

RR
AKFF Junior

PB's: Longtom: 79cm Scad: 40cm Shovelnose Ray: 1- 1.2m on 2-4kg gear Flathead: 50-55cm
Tailor: 30cm Black Tip Reef Shark: 75cm Bream: 41cm Spangled Perch: 32cm Swallow-Tail Dart: 38cm Whiting: 34cm

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
RackRaider
Valued Member

Kayak: Prowler 13

Postby kayakone » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 pm

RackRaider wrote:Loved your last Fraser Report, just came back from there at easter, could'nt get a shark no matter how hard I tried.

RR

I can catch sharks. Teach ya Jack.

Deal is, you teach me how to catch fish.

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby RackRaider » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:48 pm

kayakone wrote:
RackRaider wrote:Loved your last Fraser Report, just came back from there at easter, could'nt get a shark no matter how hard I tried.

RR

I can catch sharks. Teach ya Jack.

Deal is, you teach me how to catch fish.

trev

SOunds like a fair deal, I'm thinking of doing a trip during the holidays actually.

RR
AKFF Junior

PB's: Longtom: 79cm Scad: 40cm Shovelnose Ray: 1- 1.2m on 2-4kg gear Flathead: 50-55cm
Tailor: 30cm Black Tip Reef Shark: 75cm Bream: 41cm Spangled Perch: 32cm Swallow-Tail Dart: 38cm Whiting: 34cm

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
RackRaider
Valued Member

Kayak: Prowler 13

Postby gbc » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:54 am

That water point has got me.

Is it along the rear fire track to the lighthouse (the one with the gate?)
gbc

Kayak: paddleyak kingfisher

Postby BIGKEV » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:12 am

Bdahm wrote:3 mack tuna, which is more than enough fish flesh to feed us for a couple of meals.

How were those meals? :?
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby gcfisho » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 am

Always a great read Tony looks like you had a blast,cant wait for the conclusion.
gcfisho
Veteran Member

Kayak: hobie revolution and pacer .

Re: QLD: 05/05-12/05 Fraser Island (Updated...but still wip)

Postby Bdahm » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the comments guys...got a few more pics up today.

Tony
Bdahm

Next

Return to Trip Reports