Trip Reports • h

Go on then, tell us how you went...

h

Postby Barrabundy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 pm

hj
Last edited by Barrabundy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Re: QLD Whitsundays

Postby kayakone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:06 am

Beautiful place Con, well captured in those shots. One of my favourites (suggest Armit, Grassy and Double Cone as well).

We found the stripeys to be good eating - what did you think?

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby Zed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:56 am

Niiiice clam.

What's the thick brown fish at the yak w/ the hp in its mouth?
Ocean Kayak P13 - Con Limón
"What possessed a farmer like you to set foot in a boat, beats me."
--Kipling
Captains Courageous
Zed
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK P13

Postby Bigdyl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:55 am

Looks awesome, I went up there for a holiday with the boss and all I wanted to do was paddle island to island fishing. One of the best places in the world and still largely untouched. I'm so jealous at the moment :)
Bigdyl
Valued Member

Kayak: Prowler elite 4.5

Postby Marty75 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:25 am

Nice report Barra. Scary shark moment :shock:

The 2nd last pic looks like a venomous cone shell? The little buggers shoot poisonous darts (what else would a shell do....)

Marty
PBs: Kingfish 74cm Bream 41cm Flathead 68cm Tailor 51cm Hammerhead 6ft Salmon 70cm Bonito 56cm Hairtail 95cm Spotted Mackerel 95cm
Hobie Revo Serenity II rigged here
Stealth Evo 465 (ex-IndieDog) rigged here
Marty75
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo_Evo 465

Postby paulsod » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 am

Good report and photos Con. Really shows the place off.
Curious as what shark that was.
I be more worried about crocs anywhere in the north. I haven't got a croc-shield. :lol:
Cheers
Paul
Best in yak:- Gold-spotted Sweetlip - 44cms, Snapper - 75cms, Estuary Cod - 54cms, Dusky Flathead - 49cms, Long Tail Tuna - 104cms, Grass Emperor - 54cms, School Mackerel - 64cms, Giant Trevally- 63cms, Mulloway - 89cms
paulsod
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback - Stealth Supalite X - A.I

Postby Bummer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:57 am

That fish is one of those mega large puffer fish with teeth that could bite your finger off. Caught it whilst trolling which is an unsual catch. Ugly fish.
Wanted to note that all fish were caught via lures(plastics and hard bodies). Had the oldies using bait out of the tinnie with no luck. We gradually convinced them to switch to lures (oldies with old habits) where they started to catch fish. The 70 yr olds are now converts.
On another note I have a Hobbie Adveture at home and hired a paddle Mission catch for the trip. ^*%*(ing hard work paddling and even harder with no steering, but over all did 35K's in two days and found it a pretty good little kayak. Not good in chop as you get very wet. But for the price is overall a great little kayak.(no affiliations with this kayak).
Looking forward to next years trip which will include some camping and again no expectations of catching fish.
Bummer

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby keza » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 am

Looks like a beautiful part of the country.
The octopus looks like everything else in Australia, very pretty and will probably kill you if you get too close.
kerry
www.kerrywilson.net www.kerrywilson.net/blog instagram: kerrywi1son

yak pb's
kingfish 90cm, flathead 65cm, snapper 56cm, salmon 60cm, trev 56cm, barracouta 75cm, YFT 65cm, spanish 20cm (sharked), hairtail 156cm, bonito 68cm, spotty 85cm, tailor 55cm, LTT 101cm, bull shark 2.5m
keza
Legendary Member

Kayak: Barracuda SoT Ultralight + OK Scupper Pro

Postby Zed » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:29 pm

^And with arms that long too close is relative.

Thanks Bummer. That's the biggest puffer I've ever seen.
I've caught porcupinefish trolling hb's. I can't figure out how they motivate that much to try and eat it.

Excellent trip and report guys!
Ocean Kayak P13 - Con Limón
"What possessed a farmer like you to set foot in a boat, beats me."
--Kipling
Captains Courageous
Zed
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK P13

Postby dru » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Just a fantastic part of the world. I have heard of crocs this far south, but only between mainland and the inner islands. Does that make sense?

Fantastic part of the world, thanks for sharing.
dru
Legendary Member

Kayak: TI + Profisha 475+Zegul 550+Carbonology Vault

Postby RedPhoenix » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

QlpoOTFBWSZTWfi19j0AACRfgAAQQIcACJiiFIA/79+wMADVlDQqfo0KY0yTagZGQBU2mTSGgABobUANT0KngoxGQ2oMhjSG1QSVpeO4RQM/SN1BM2iCkEwBBN0xPa0li8FXLNiq+mAu5sjRPKWF4kFogqRkM9NeSom13jYIbTgVjcRab1F7FGRdjpVGu5LTc6M62bVLZxQWDA7SCdAiEHXrNazRoSe6J7HXupLi/fOJxeivQFRIQxStlMU/W4x0ru5ZvmVMd+B2dez2qpDMwirA0eeUkiIAlIZ4pwFxOE4BpRE/4u5IpwoSHxa+x6A=
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby SamT » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Well done Con,
I reckon you've found the venue for a Mackay/Whitsundays/Burdekin regional get-together.
A mate of mine was around the corner at Hideaway Bay on the weekend and also did well with soft plastics.
SamT
Valued Member

Kayak: Viking Profish 45 + Stealth Fisha 550

Postby ringo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Hey Con. Great report and photos. Sorry I couldn't join you. I went to send you a PM on Thursday to say that I had to work all weekend but then I realised that you were probably already there. Were you still there on Sunday? The weather was magic. I spent a bit of time at the 'Whitfunday' for work but I didn't see you there. Gloucester Island is a nice spot to camp and I've always had more luck with fishing in the passage between Gloucester Island and Montes Resort.

I had a mate that saw a huge shark while kayaking not far from the boat ramp. I saw a big one(bigger than the Espri) near Gloucester Island and had a similar experience of crapping myself. It's a shame the Mackerel and Tuna didn't make an appearance for you guys but at least Bummer got a Coral Trout.
ringo

Kayak: Viking Espri

Postby Barrabundy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:42 pm

h
Last edited by Barrabundy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the kool kids are now hanging at theyakshed.com
Barrabundy
Legendary Member

Kayak: theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theyakshed.com theya

Postby ringo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:38 am

@Ringo, the oldies saw a kayaker fishing somewhere near the southern end of hideaway in a paddle kayak and spoke to another guy who had just come in with a PA with a feed of sweet lip....either of them your friend by any chance?

Nah, my friend is selling his Pro-Fish on that GumTree site.

What's the go with the current in the passage, navigable with a kayak or do you need to really time it? A few people in tinnys told us they had troubles in that area and we'd have no chance in kayaks, we took their advice and stayed right away.

I've never paddled to the passage from Dingo or Hydeaway so I don't know if it's any different from that end. The water is pretty shallow around Hydeaway Bay. I've always launched from near the Eco Resort at Cape Gloucester and I've never noticed any strong currents. It is the only place in that area where I've hooked up on Mackerel(only spotties and doggies) and tuna on a couple of occasions. Whenever I fish off Dingo or Nelly Bay I usually get Trevally, stripeys and small trout on lures and Oyster Cracker, sharks, rays and remora fish on bait.
Last edited by ringo on Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ringo

Kayak: Viking Espri

Next

Return to Trip Reports