Trip Reports • QLD: What dreams are made of: Fraser Island west coast trip

Go on then, tell us how you went...

QLD: What dreams are made of: Fraser Island west coast trip

Postby RedPhoenix » Tue May 01, 2012 7:47 am

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Re: QLD: What dreams are made of: Fraser Island west coast t

Postby TheFishinMusician » Tue May 01, 2012 8:00 am

Oh! You catch fish on your camping trips then........
interesting!
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Kayak: Blatmobile

Postby BIGKEV » Tue May 01, 2012 8:03 am

Very nice Red. Looking forward to the full report and photos. I NEVER get sick of anything to do with Fraser Island and am very jealous right now and will be Fraser dreaming for weeks.....

Kev
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby Safa » Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 am

Great vid Red , my juices are flowing and cannot wait for ourtrip in September bring it on ,you guys caugt some qualiy fish and nice to see some released well done Mate keep em coming !
I live with fear every day......
but sometimes she lets me go fishing!!!!
Safa
Veteran Member

Kayak: Stealth pro fisha 475

Postby Levi » Tue May 01, 2012 8:28 am

Niiiiiiiice!!!
Photos please!
Levi
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Profish 45

Postby nad97 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 am

Nice vid there Red. I need to get orginaised to do some trips further a feild.
nad97

Postby fishbrain » Tue May 01, 2012 8:55 am

NICE VID RED !!! That rod looked ready to explode.
Cheers Brad
My Website http://fishbrainlures.weebly.com
Mantra Palani Pro staffer
Treadfin Salmon120cm Mangrove Jack 56cm Bream 46cm GT Trevally 96cm Flathead 86cm Snapper 62cm Whiting41cm
fishbrain
Veteran Member

Kayak: Mantra Palani Kayak

Postby Zed » Tue May 01, 2012 9:37 am

I hate you man.
Ocean Kayak P13 - Con Limón
"What possessed a farmer like you to set foot in a boat, beats me."
--Kipling
Captains Courageous
Zed
Legendary Member

Kayak: OK P13

Postby Decay » Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 am

I've been itching to do this trip with Red, I figured for once I had an advantage over Red and after 3 successful trips to Platypus Bay with Roo1, I thought I knew a few tricks.
In addition, I was starting to gander support from a growing base of followers that wanted me to "apply some hurt" to Red and give him a hard time (I won't mention your name Kevlar, opps sorry)
Here's the kicker, a few weeks ago Red and I went to Mooloolabah (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52937) the point is Red always fishes with REALLY light gear, soooooooo he managed to break all his rods on tuna. I was chuckling inside, imagine how many he'll break on Fraser :D
I had a small bet with Roo1 he'd come back with no equipment intact. .................... Well, he did come back with some serviceable equipment, some! :lol:

On Tuesday I drove down to Victoria Point and picked the big fella up from the ferry (for those that haven't met Red his a little taller than me .... errr taller than most people actually), we slid his AI onto the trailer and made a quick and effective get away and drove to Hervey Bay.
Now I have to mention a small incident along the way that sets the pace and allows me some self-defense for what I know will be coming. Along the way we were overtaken by a Torana filled with "enthusiastic" people and as they sped/flew past they gave us the big fist pump out the window. Unfortunately Red is a LITTLE childish (makes up for his size) and he took this to heart and made it a "flavor of the trip". I'm not normally a "fist pumper" but with Red egging me on there could be the odd fist pump .... fortunately I was able to take some pictures in self defense.

OK, enough words, some pictures with commentary.

Here's us about to set off next to the harbour at Hervey Bay
Launch.jpg
Launching from Hervey Bay (photo stolen errr courtesy of Red)

And we made our way to cross the channel from the mainland to Fraser crossing in front of Round Island, then Woody Island and on to Moon Point. There was some water about as the tide was just about to change so a little chop in the first hour.
a bit of water.jpg
The crossing to Woody Island had the odd wave

Here's the tip of Woody Island and this is when the rods went ballistic, both mine launched out of the holders for a double hook up but I reached for the wrong one, I landed a Wolf Herring but the obviously larger fish on the other line got away.
Woody point.jpg
In sight of Woody Island the water settled and it was "fish on"

While I was releasing my pathetic wolf herring, Red was on a MUCH bigger baitfish. His first fish for the trip proved to on a staple hormone diet, and accordingly, everybody got their wishes ..... as forecast, his rod broke, the reel breaking free of its mount, but I'll leave the full story to Red for his perspective!
Broken rod and all .... he landed his sardine on hormones.

First fish.jpg
This sardine on hormones was picked up in front of Woody Island
Decay
Valued Member

Kayak: Moby the Hobie - Adventure Island

Postby Decay » Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 am

cjbfisher wrote:Jesus Leigh!!! That rod must have some serious balls. Great vid and great fish too. :D
Chris

Ha ha ha, not anymore. That rods broken into tiny pieces lying in a watery grave somewhere (maybe with the paddle that the whales took from Roo1 on the last trip) :D
Decay
Valued Member

Postby justcrusin » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 am

in all due respect Leigh, you suck :twisted: i'm so jealous watching that right now, that I'm going to have to watch it again.
PRO TEAM MEMBER ofImage
http://www.austackle.com.au http://www.customlureart.com/
Member of the 2012and 2013 Australian Hobie worlds team http://www.hobiefishingworlds.com/
justcrusin
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie PA14

Postby RedPhoenix » Tue May 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Unfortunately, due to the change in ownership of this web site and the lack of response by the owners to my requests to remove my email address from all administrative-level notifications and functionality, I have decided to remove my posts on AKFF. Thank you for the great times, the fantastic learning experiences and the many many fish. If you are desperate for the old content of this particular post, it is available below base64 encoded and bzip2 compressed.

Red.

----

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
Last edited by RedPhoenix on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you all for the laughs, the advice, and the mateship. Can the last one on the site, please turn off the lights before you leave.
RedPhoenix
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: too many

Postby Dave73 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Brilliant stuff, more please!

Also glad there was no screams of "a dingo stole my Hobie' echoing throughout the campsite...

Cheers David
Ocean Blue Fishing Adventures http://oceanbluefishing.com
Trees & Fishes Anglers Lodge Vanuatu http://treesandfishes.com
Dave73
Elite Member

Kayak: RTM Disco...noice

Postby Decay » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

RedPhoenix wrote:Not true. Derek is actually a hobbit

Bah, everybody knows that Red is a computer guru, this is all photo trickery!

RedPhoenix wrote:and he had to circle around for an hour and a half, 2 minutes after our lures first hit the water, waiting for me to reel in my yellow. ;)

So what if I had to circle Red for 1 and 1/2 hours to catch his oversize pilchard, he should have used a more sensible rig! I AM NOT jealous, anyway, a New day, New start
sunrise on day 2.jpg
Sunrise on a fresh start to a brilliant day!

Let me set the facts straight!
Have a look at this pathetic shot! Ohhhh the strain, doesn't your heart bleed for Red :?
the strain.jpg
Red's rod straining to breaking point

Yeh right! Now have a look at "The Big Catch"
the big catch.jpg

Some factual footage:
Disappointed Red.jpg

An extremely disappointed Red walks up the beach, knowing he can't break my spirit and will have to resort to photo forgery!
Decay
Valued Member

Postby Decay » Tue May 01, 2012 2:54 pm

RedPhoenix wrote:
Yep.. and I guess he's going to call this one a mutant yellowfin pike.

P1010171-small.JPG

Bah, that's not a cuda, this is a cuda!

a real cuda.jpg
Not a mutant pike but a real cuda!
Decay
Valued Member

Next

Return to Trip Reports