Trip Reports • VIC - Snake Island April overnighter.

Go on then, tell us how you went...

Re: VIC - Snake Island April overnighter.

Postby kayakone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:25 am

eric wrote:TFM stared at his AI waiting for it to self assemble. This failing, he then set to work putting the several thousand pieces together, but perhaps a bit more carefully than last time when he accidentally made a small aircraft.

:lol: :lol: So true. Hobie should make an auto model.

eric wrote:The further south we got, the worse the conditions became. I noticed Chris had fallen behind and slowed to allow him to catch up, but stopping completely was out of the question, with just a few hundred metres to go the chop was combining with swell creating Frankenstein waves, huge metre and half triangular watery hills that would pop up in their own giving you something to teeter on, or roll in like a cavalry charge forcing you to paddle franticly to turn a overladen yak into it, or a pipeline would suddenly form out of a wave in front of you giving you something really freaky to stare at in fear. Looking left I saw Chris out of his Outback and leading it into shore, chest deep in water.

...TFM crawled out and wished himself a happy birthday, and we celebrated with bacon and eggs and muffins and tomato sauce and chicken salt and freshly roasted Red berries ground and brewed right there in the bush. The Feast day of The Fishin' Musician is an awesome sight.

That is way mean to throw Chris off his outback. What was the wind speed (any BOM AWS's nearby)?

Good read Eric, though a tad scary in the big waves.

Trevor
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby FazerPete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:09 am

You blokes are nuts.

Great write up as usual though.
FazerPete
Veteran Member

Kayak: Pesky the Perception Pescador 12 +Wavedance Sierra

Postby paulsod » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:06 pm

That is one great report Eric.

eric wrote:giving you something really freaky to stare at in fear.

That made me laugh.

eric wrote:he had something to warm us up and pulled out a jar of vasoline

That had my dirty mind worried. :lol:

cheers
Paul
Best in yak:- Gold-spotted Sweetlip - 44cms, Snapper - 75cms, Estuary Cod - 54cms, Dusky Flathead - 49cms, Long Tail Tuna - 104cms, Grass Emperor - 54cms, School Mackerel - 64cms, Giant Trevally- 63cms, Mulloway - 89cms
paulsod
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback - Stealth Supalite X - A.I

Postby kayakone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 pm

nezevic wrote:Great report eric. Sounds like it was an 'interesting' trip!

INTERESTING! :shock: At 100 km/hr. Hmmmmmm. :o

Trevor
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby ArWeTherYet » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:08 pm

You guys.
Great report Eric.
Happy Birthday TFM.
ArWeTherYet
Legendary Member

Kayak: blum

Postby TheFishinMusician » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Last edited by TheFishinMusician on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Kayak: Blatmobile

Postby Desal » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:15 pm

loved your report guys, many thanks. TFM, great job on the video, the music was outstanding. What was the name of the opening track please?
Desal

Kayak: Hobie Revo Stealth Supalite X

Postby TheFishinMusician » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Desal wrote:loved your report guys, many thanks. TFM, great job on the video, the music was outstanding. What was the name of the opening track please?

Thanks desal, the first 3 tracks are the opening parts of the Verdi Requiem, Requiem, Dies irae & Tuba mirum. The last track is the 2nd movement of the saint saens 3rd symphony.
mingle wrote:Nice video, almost like being there - in fact BETTER than being there!
I'm disappointed Mr. Happy was a no-show and that the flames from the fire were barely above knee-height...
The trip back looked nice and relaxed!
Cheers, Mike.

Oh mr happy was there allright, I'm just not sure we got any pics of him this time.
We had to keep the fire at the sub critical mass stage because we ended up out the back. The one we had planned for the beach was a little more substantial, untill my earthworks got washed away :(

ArWeTherYet wrote:You guys.
Great report Eric.
Happy Birthday TFM.

Thanks AWTY.
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Postby kayakone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Mark (+ Eric & Chris)

A trip to remember (glad you survived). High adventure and madness is, in my view, a very fine balancing point. Good balance guys. WHEY!

BTW, I loved the music.

Trevor
trev

kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby TheFishinMusician » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:54 pm

indiedog wrote:Loved the read and the video guys. Well done on still making it across, that didn't look like it would have been fun at all. Was all that shot on GoPro?

thanks indy, it was shot on my fuji z33 & erics olympus.
it was mostly fun, just the odd tricky bit, but then again, i didnt get rolled!
SurfanFish wrote:Great write up and video. So what caused the damage to the kayaks?

as far as we can tell, when chris rolled his deck bag got pushed into his cart which in turn cracked his scupper. chris snapped a rudder pin getting dropped off a wave onto some sand. i bent a mirage drive mast on the shallows around little snake island & when i set off on sunday morning i noticed one of my drive cables had slipped off the drum so i beached, tightened my nuts & got back underway.
i think the stealth survived unscathed.
kayakone wrote:BTW, I loved the music.

Ta :D i had fun with the edits
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Postby FazerPete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 pm

The Fishin' Musician wrote:tightened my nuts & got back underway.

Couldn't you have done that in the privacy of your tent the night before?

What sort of speeds do you reckon you were hitting?
FazerPete
Veteran Member

Kayak: Pesky the Perception Pescador 12 +Wavedance Sierra

Postby Kenza » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Was fun reading your report Eric! too bad we got there late.

We pulled up at port welshpool at 10.30 stood there and contemplated for like 1 whole hour deciding whether we should cross the channel. Me and my mate (stephen) was pretty keen on crossing but there was a local Seaman on the boat telling us not to cross. It was low tide so we had to walk out pretty far to even launch our vessel. So we decided to go drive around the area to see if there was any better launching spots. We got back to port welshpool a little after lunch ~1.30pm. and at that point the wind was raging. That was when Eric and TFM called, i couldnt hear very well but all i heard was "Chris fell out of his outback!!!" - which was more than enough to deter us. so we decided to fish the peir for trevally etc.. my soft plastic nearly got bitten into 3 pieces ... not sure what bit it. it was very clean cut halfway down the tail and halfway down the body. We were planning on fishing the peir and staying there the night to meet up with the moe boys in the morning., but we called it quits because the wind was making it hard to open our eyes. So we took a drive down to Seaspray. and camped there the night then back home Sunday morning...

We are very keen to go on the next adventure rain or shine!, but hopefully the weather shines a little next time..
Kenza

Kayak: Hobie Oasis and Adventure

Postby kayakone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Kenza wrote: ....but we called it quits because the wind was making it hard to open our eyes.
We are very keen to go on the next adventure rain or shine!, but hopefully the weather shines a little next time..

Wise choice Kenza. They're all mad! (or just a little too adventurous?)

Trevor
trev

kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby TheFishinMusician » Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

Kenza wrote:Was fun reading your report Eric! too bad we got there late.

We pulled up at port welshpool at 10.30 stood there and contemplated for like 1 whole hour deciding whether we should cross the channel. Me and my mate (stephen) was pretty keen on crossing but there was a local Seaman on the boat telling us not to cross. It was low tide so we had to walk out pretty far to even launch our vessel. So we decided to go drive around the area to see if there was any better launching spots. We got back to port welshpool a little after lunch ~1.30pm. and at that point the wind was raging. That was when Eric and TFM called, i couldnt hear very well but all i heard was "Chris fell out of his outback!!!" - which was more than enough to deter us. so we decided to fish the peir for trevally etc.. my soft plastic nearly got bitten into 3 pieces ... not sure what bit it. it was very clean cut halfway down the tail and halfway down the body. We were planning on fishing the peir and staying there the night to meet up with the moe boys in the morning., but we called it quits because the wind was making it hard to open our eyes. So we took a drive down to Seaspray. and camped there the night then back home Sunday morning...

Yep, good call Ken, sorry you didn't make it down but by the time we got off the water it was awfull & getting worse & remained that way till about midnight! Did you have any luck @ seaspray?
There'll be another one not too far off
TheFishinMusician
Legendary Member

Next

Return to Trip Reports