Rigged Kayaks • Red Rocket... Hobie Quest 11

Show off your pride and joy or look for ideas here.

Red Rocket... Hobie Quest 11

Postby MY03VY » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Finally... after months of umming and ahhing, I bit the bullet and bought the little Quest 11.

So far I've only just picked it up and haven't hit the water yet.

In the end, I went red because I just loved the colour, and it goes so well with my car.

With it, I bought the following
- Horizontal rod holder
- Dry bag
- Scotty rod holder (baitcaster)
- Rod leash
- Paddle leash
- 2 Plano's
- Cart

The racks I went with are the Rhino Aero's, and I'm glad I didn't go with the flush mount ones because there would have been no room at all left. I had originally bought the Rhino side loading kit, but on getting it home, the wraps for the bars had been made too small by Rhino so Roof Racks Galore swapped them over to the Even Keel Yakima ones free, as it turns out these are better for wind resistance and sit a little lower. That being said, at 110km/h it sounds like you're about to be landed on by an incoming 747, something I'll get used to.

Anyway I bought the boat from Sunstate Hobie, and were very happy with everything they did for me... on numerous occasions Tony, Mal & Natalie spent ages listening to me umm and ahh over which one I wanted. Tony also did the fitting on the accessories for me which was great, as it saved me some time, thanks Tony.

Roof Racks Galore at Rocklea also get a mention because they were great and did the racks at the special show pricing from the tinny & tackle show despite being months on.

Here's some pics... on water shots to come.
Attachments
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0494.jpg
IMG_0495.jpg
MY03VY

Kayak: None yet

Re: Red Rocket... Hobie Quest 11

Postby Bretto » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Looks like a sweet ride mate. Hope you enjoy. I love mine.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Kayak: Dust Collectors

Postby Marty75 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Nice ride mate and great colour (I'm biased).

Have you tried transporting the yak upside down resting on the gunnels and without the kayak cradles?

I've got Rhino aero racks also and have transported both upright and upside down (and also in J-cradles) and other than having to transport it unrigged, it's pretty quick and easy to just throw the yak up there upside down.

Marty
PBs: Kingfish 74cm Bream 41cm Flathead 68cm Tailor 51cm Hammerhead 6ft Salmon 70cm Bonito 56cm Hairtail 95cm Spotted Mackerel 95cm
Hobie Revo Serenity II rigged here
Stealth Evo 465 (ex-IndieDog) rigged here
Marty75
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Revo_Evo 465

Postby Artie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Niiiiiicccce, love the model and love the colour.... should be more of em!

Lets see it wet and scaly..... Im pretty certain the abilities of this lil yak are going to surprise you..... but, I too am biased... having both a Quest11 And a red Revo....
Rob

-2m Mako-75 cm Salmon-70cm Snapper-63 cm Flathead-42cm Whiting-29cm Bream-
Artie
Veteran Member

Location: A bit undecided.... 2 weeks each month in Batemans Bay and 2 weeks in Griffith....
Kayak: Im on a Sacred Quest and the Mad Red Revo

Postby foxx1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Jealous! My humble Foxx pales in comparrison. Time to start saving for the upgrade, guess that the problem with this obsession you keep wanting to upgrade.

Enjoy your new yak pal she looks great.
foxx1
Valued Member

Kayak: australis foxx

Postby MY03VY » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Steve... yeah I have a feeling it may end up moved, but thats ok I guess.

Anyway the creative juices are flowing... Walking through Bunnings this afternoon, I see this orange reel of something. I thought it was an extension lead until I got closer, Turns out it's 5.6mm rope. Instantly I thought of anchor trolley/rope... and the best part... $4.88.

So I bought some, took it home and have just run it through the pad eyes for the handles, and then down through the handle so it runs down the side of the yak. Its got a clip in there so I can remove it easily too.

With the rest, and some left over pool noodle, I made an anchor kit up... just need the weighty bit now but $20 there and I'm covered.

Got some photo's below.

With having to work today, and a serious need for domestic duties tomorrow, it won't be getting wet till Monday.
Attachments
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0499.jpg
MY03VY

Postby Jon181 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Nice fit out. I couldn't resist that orange rope at Bunning either. I'm going to turn mine into some rod leashes.
Jon181

Kayak: Red Hobie Outback with red flag

Postby MY03VY » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:52 am

I really need to get my sh*t together and post about a dozen trip reports lol

Man this thing is FUN!

I have never had a hobby I enjoy as much as this (behind lure collecting lol).

Steve... that rod holder is in a sh*t of a spot to paddle and have it out trolling... but at the same time it is handy to have it there to re-rig or change heads and stuff.

My first little moment of proving to myself that ambition > ability was down the the pin last weekend. I started at jacobs well ramp paddling with the tide, got round the bend a few km and decided i'd head to a little spot at Whalleys Gutter, so kept paddling against the tide by this stage but it wasn't too bad. By that stage I was tiring but got to my spot. Drifted about a km down the creek with a few hits. Decided to pack it up and head back... checked my maps and thought I could shortcut down the creek and come out 3/4 down the main channel... yeah didn't quite go that way. Ended up being 17km all up for the trip and my arms BURNED when I got back... that took every little bit out of me.
MY03VY

Return to Rigged Kayaks