DIY General • Lowrance DIY-DSI Scupper Mount, waterprof electricals

DIY Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Lowrance DIY-DSI Scupper Mount, waterprof electricals

Postby Geordie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:04 pm

OK so I looked at the various options of transducer mounting for my new Lowrance Elite 5 DSI.
The dedicated Lowrance Scupper mount is great on kayak hulls with a lot deeper groove for the transducer to sit up out of harms way. But when I compared it to the TI, i tlooked like the mounting would hang the transducer down by about half an inch to 1 inch lower than my way.
Also the Lowrance version is not easily removable, for cleaning beaching storage outside or dragging up onto a trailer cradle.

So here goes.

I cut the Lowrance slide on skimmer transducer mount down: cut both the front and back parts off so I just have the slide on mount front central part; Drilled a small hole through;

Found a stainless bit from a swivel on a shackle to sailing block or these are used on stay cable ends.
I might make my own version stainless slide on mount later when I have tested this out.

So th emount just slides on and is only held when the transducer is bolted up into the scupper. I can slide the transducer down the scuppe hole then fit it to the slide on bracket put the bolt up the scupper and fit wing nut to the top.

Long stainless bolt and plastic winged nut that I fitted the stainless nut head into. This sitts well across the scupper to hold the transducer tight and allow the cable to feed out the side.

Last edited by Geordie on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geordie

Kayak: Q-kayak and AI sold now Tandem Island

Re: DIY Lowrance DSI Transducer Scupper Mount

Postby Geordie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 pm

PHASE 2

I will add a bit more of the explaination when I finish the rest of the wiring and plug together DSI transducer cable.

I still have some finishing touches like fitting tubeing over the cable to protect it from things like my esky and fishing gear in the back.

Then silicone seal the cable through the bung plug and I can remove it all easily and fit a boat bung back in the hole.

If I ever change sounders, I can just fit the cable through a new bung plug, also I can move the transducer to the middle scupper holes and move the sounder to the front seat position on my TI if I need to without changing any cables. Just unscrew and put the cable through the other position bung hole.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 pm

PHASE 3

Elite 5 mounting and cable fittings through hull using big boat drain bumg plugs for a removable plug and cable

I will add a bit more of the explaination when I finish the rest of the wiring and plug together DSI transducer cable.

Geordie

Postby Geordie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Photos from underneath with the transducer in place.

It fits in the scupper at the back deck and so will be behind the trailer rear cradle and not hit when I load and unload.

Also looks like it will be well tucked up in the scupper groove and less likely to be hit or catch weed or my line.

Geordie

Re: Lowrance DIY-DSI Scupper Mount and Sounder install

Postby Geordie » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 pm

FINAL PHASE: WATERPROOF ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Battery mounted in a PLANO Extreme Guide Case.

Cables have been fed through the boat bilge plug and I filled the back of the plug with silicone sealer.

I used some silicone tube to protect the cables. It is very strong, flexible and UV proof.

Plugs to the bilge pump are Bulgin Buccaneer series waterproof O ring sealed power cable plugs. http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccan ... ndard.html

The plugs to the sounder needed to be small enough to thread through the hole of the boat bilge plug fitting so the wiring is completely removable. The plugs I have used here were Bulgin Bucaneer Mini (from RS components).

and finally I also covered the transducer cable in a silicone tube for protection and used a Bulgin Mini Bucaneer plug on the transducer cable so it could be disconnected and removed in need be. http://www.bulgin.co.uk/Products/Buccan ... rMini.html

Last edited by Geordie on Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geordie

Re: Lowrance DIY-DSI Scupper Mount, waterprof electricals

Postby Drew » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Those Bulgin connectors look great - are they available locally?

it may just be the answer I've been looking for to be able to alternate between an in-hull and over the side transducer...
Drew

Kayak: Hobie 2011 Outback and 2008 Revolution Fish

Postby Geordie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Tonystott wrote:Interesting! I have used slightly different means to arrive at a similar conclusion. I used the Lowrance scupper mount, and the transducer might hang a bit lower than yours does, but I believe it is still above the bottom of the hull. Using a rear scupper keeps it clear of the trailer, and also, realistically, above the bottom if the bow hits first.
I used the standard "grommets" (Hobie's name for them), obtaining a second one for the rear luggage bay, to take wires from the transducer and 10w solar panel.

Hiu Tony, yes I saw a few posts about the Lowrance scupper mount and I thought that if My DIY version was not a success then I would still have the more professional option. I di lkike th eneat top cap and propper slide on bracket for the transducer mount.

The one problem was that I wanted it to be easily removable and I was not able to have a look at the Lowrance version in the flesh (nobody has them in stock here or was even planning to without me paying first) so decided to have a play at making my own first.
I still have another idea for a fold down bracket so it can be inserted down the scupper hole locked in place or removed whilst still out on the water if I got weed or fishing line stuck around the transducer. Butnow I see how flush it fitts, I will test this version first.

The Lowrance mount you have still looks like it is fairly well tucked up into the hull grove, better than I expected from the few photos I had seen.

Tonystott wrote:Coincidentally, I have used one of those drain plugs in my drink holder, and have adapted my Sports bilge pump by adding a 1" clear plastic hose, so if I have to bail the TI hull, I remove the plug and fill the hole with the pump's tube and pump the water straight over the side.

I have also fitted a bung plug to the bottom of the small drink bottle holder exactly like you. I initially did this as the cable plug for my first sounder. but did not like the cable being exposed to getting bent in the bottom of the drink holder, so that plug has a bung in it liky you have. So that is the perfect place like you have done to have for a manual bilge pump. Thanks Perfect Idea.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Drew wrote:Those Bulgin connectors look great - are they available locally?

it may just be the answer I've been looking for to be able to alternate between an in-hull and over the side transducer...

Hey Drew,
Yes the Bulgin plugs are available from RS components. I can find you some part numbers if you need.
The smaller Bulgin Mini plugs were not cheap about 30 bucks. I was only going to use one on teh power cable but also ended up fitting one to the transducer cable because I wanted it removable. Garmin transducers already have a removable connection in the cable but not the Lowrance.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:04 pm

BigGee wrote:Shame on you Tonystott, shame, shame, shame.

What right do you have to make absolutely every single other install on this forum look positively ordinary? Hmmmm? Perhaps you'd like to explain yourself Sir!!!

Okay Derryn Hinch voice, now off.

:lol:

Seriously though, there are so many good ideas in this install, it could have been lifted from the good idea-athon, held in Good Ideas land on national Good Ideas day.

Few things I'd be copying if I ever did such a job again. Certainly. Great posts.

Gee

BigGee, (or is that Hinch),
yes I have been following a few of Tonystott's clever ideas on other forums too. I love to design things myself but am not afraid to pinch good ideas too.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:36 pm

OK FINAL PHASE FITTING

Here are a few final photos today fitting the whole package.

The screw together plugs for the power and transducer cable fit neatly through the boat bilge plug hole (just).
screw it in to seal. Then feed the cables through inside to keep them away from the rudder steering cables

and I take the twist out of the cable before connecting to the sounder.

The cable is threaded through a bit of soft flexible silicone tube, a bit like speargun rubber or surgical tube but will not perish in the sun.

Last edited by Geordie on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Here is the sounder wering it's little hoody cover.

Or completely covered for protection. This is just a large reel cover $14
Last edited by Geordie on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:54 pm

And finaly: the transducer cable I have threaded through the same sort of silicone tube which is sealed into the screw in boat drain bung.

But for this, I did not want to twist the transducer cable as I screw in the bung plug. So the cabe is loose through the tube, then another bit of tube to protect the lower secton of the cable This has a bit of heat shrink made to taper down and push fit neatly into the orange tube and seal once the plug is screwed in, without twisting the cable up.

Geordie

Postby Geordie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Tonystott wrote:Geordie, I am removing my transducer today and cutting down the slide-on holder part like yours so I can tuck the transducer up higher like you did. Sharing ideas is all good for everyone!

Go for it Tony,
at least with these tranducers you can put it back if you need to. I thought I would experiment but have not managet to get out on the water today to test.
I came down with a nasty Flu a few weeks ago and I'm still suffering a bit of a sore throat and ear. I was all ready to head out this morning but the runny nose and sore throat came up again over-night so I thought better of going out getting cold and wet. Bugga.

Let me know how you go and if there is any difference in teh DSI signal. I don't immagine that the hull would do any shielding as the beam angle is no where as wide as a sidescan model on the HDS5 and I have seen one of these mounted inside the hull.

I did try the DSI inside the hull in a wet mount but it did not fit well in the foam block I had from the previous transducer (so I thought I would try this before going back to an in hull wet mount). I figure under the hull in a well protected location will provide the best contact with the water and field of view.
Geordie

Postby Geordie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:04 pm

Ah that sounds good Tony. So the scupper mount has the propper slide on square C shaped profile. At least this allows you to fit it up higher.

The only photo I had seen (or video of an install) they had just used the bolt through fitting and the transducer hung down a long way.

Shows what a bit of custom tweaking can do for an otherwise good product to make it better.
Geordie

Postby antsrealm » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:25 pm

nice job. What did you do with the exposed temp plug ? Also my previous elite 5 got a damaged power plug, what are you doing to avoid this ?

Thanks,
Tony.
antsrealm
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie Tandem Island

Next

Return to DIY General