DIY General • Bike rack loader for Sport Fish

DIY Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Bike rack loader for Sport Fish

Postby ParkFly » Fri May 09, 2008 9:10 pm

I already had a bike rack so it was a simple matter to add a small platform for the roller and wheels,(held on with the bike clamp wingnuts). Works a treat and has saves me putting my back out. Note that the bike rack has been reversed from the usual bike carrying position. The roller came from Whitworths, the small wheels from Bunnings and the small piece of 16mm MDF was scrap. Total cost less than $20. I also prefer the yak to be transported over short distances right side up as I drive into my garage with it on and haul it up into the roof cavity. I stopped the wheels from falling out by removing a top plug from one tube and driving a short piece of thick dowel in the end, drilling a hole through it and securing with a peg. I guess someone has already done this but I can't find it on the forum if they have. Hope this all helps someone.
Attachments
Loading-1.jpg
The starting point
Loading-2.jpg
Stage-2
Loading-3.jpg
Stage-3 (then remove the wheels)
Loading-4.jpg
All done..easy
Wheel Lock.jpg
Wheel Lock (expensive)
Last edited by ParkFly on Sat May 10, 2008 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
ParkFly

Re: Bike rack loader for Sport Fish

Postby onemorecast » Fri May 09, 2008 9:22 pm

That looks like a smooth load there Parky. But I'd be careful transporting the yak very far at all right way up like that. It seems a lot of pressure on a small area of the keel.

When you go further do you flip it over of load it differntly?
Eric

Yellow PA 12
onemorecast
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie PA 12

Postby ParkFly » Fri May 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Sure do. I flip it over on the roof rack. Also when transporting right side up I don't haul on the tie-down straps too much. I have done severe braking tests and it doesn't move.
ParkFly
ParkFly

Postby craig450 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Thats a great idea, it would make loading and unloading nice and simple. :D 8)

If you got some kayak cradles for the roof racks it wouldnt be a problem at all to have the yak right way up for any amount of distance.
craig450
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie pro angler - Hobie Revo 11 - Ok Frenzy

Postby squib » Sun May 11, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Parkfly,

Great setup mate :D. I’ve been thinking of ways to do this with my outback (bit heavier than the sportfish). I've been a bit worried about denting the bottom of the yak if transported upright as Hobie recommend that you store and transport upside down. Have you had any problems with this?

Thanks for sharing

Squib
squib

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby ParkFly » Mon May 12, 2008 12:06 am

Certainly not so far. As I said earlier, I only use this for short trips (3-5Km) and I don't haul down excessively on the tie-downs. I also think that the keel is probably the strongest part of the hull. Time will tell.
ParkFly
ParkFly

Return to DIY General