Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

Lenthalls Dam 7,8,9th March 08

24K views 88 replies 16 participants last post by  hairymick 
#1 ·
OK guys and gals

I am heading to Lake Lenthalls on the above mentioned weekend to chase some barra and big bass. It is a comp weekend so hopefully a lot of you will be able to fit the dates in.

Lenthalls is just past Maryborough (3 1/2 - 4 hrs from Brisbane) and it is a dirt track to get in but a 4wd is not necessary. Here is a link to the dams info.

http://www.widebaywater.qld.gov.au/resi ... alldam.php

Upon reading this site again it appears that the 6am-4pm restriction still applies which sucks but we have to abide by it as there is a locked gate keeping us out. I am going to camp there Australia Day weekend so I will check it out to see if it has been lifted. The 6 knot speed limit is still in place which is great.

Camping from memory costs $4.50 a night there is an honour box system in place and a tag must be shown on your tent. Camp ground facilities include male/female toilets, rainwater tank that always seems to have plenty of water although it is not reccomended to drink it so bring your own drinking water, shower room with cold water shower and a place to hang your own shower bag with hot water. Mobiles get no reception, nearest place for ice etc is the servo on the highway about 15 minutes away. There is a swimming hole there that is freezing cold most of the time but you warm up after a while in it. It is a good place to test the limitations of your yak, standing up, how many guys can sit on it.

Directions to Wongi State Forest camp ground
If heading from Brisbane drive straight past the Maryborough turnoff. You will then pass Sexy Coffee and a servo on your right, keep on the highway for a few more km's and there will be an overtaking lane. At the end of the overtaking lane you need to take a left hand turn that is sign posted Wongi State Forest. Follow this dirt road, you will pass the turn off to Lenthalls on your right, keep going straight until you come across a concrete causeway that is about 200mtrs long, after this causeway you need to take a left hand turn where it is signposted for the camp grounds.

Definates
WayneD bringing Richard and Mate
MacFish
PDO
Gra
HairyMick
Shoey
Tomtre
Crayman
Estuary Girl
JimH

Contenders
PCsolutionman
Seasquirt

See less See more
#2 ·
WayneD said:
The 6 knot speed limit is still in place which is great.
Dam ill have to watch my speed in the adventure :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 ·
Not sure re this one yet, will advise closer the date.

Re barra, don't know if many read in the Sunday paper a couple of weeks ago... the local stocking group released 12,000 barra fingerlings into Lenthalls that week :wink:

#8 ·
Info added to top of thread.

Richo - Not many reports of barra being caught regularly after the cold snap. The fingerlings were a bit bigger this time I think and will take 2 years to grow to about 70cm. So hopefully we might get one or two. I will try on Aust Day weekend and I noticed the BFO boys are going again mid Feb so that will be good to see how they go.

#9 ·
Hey folks, I'll put myself down as a tentative for this one.....won't be sure of the pass from SWMBO as I'm going to South West Rocks two weeks before this. Already dropped the hint that I'd love to go fishing at Lenthalls though :D

#11 ·
Excellent we have a local. Is Crayman still around Mick? There was someone else up that way also wasn't there. Can't wait to see your yak in the flesh. You'll have to keep us up to date on the barra catches, if there are any.

I have Richard from work coming in a borrowed yak, or else his mate might come up and bring his canoe. I also have Kristian coming, he is the guy who got me into yak fishing in the first place.

#13 ·
LOL G'day Wayne,

Yeah Crayman (Kris) is still around and he has been murdering the bass out there. Will check his roster to see if he is working. I know he is always up for a lenthall's trip. Barra are very quiet. If any are getting them they have been keeping very quiet about it.

There are a couple of other yak fishos around and one of them got a few barry out there on a - gasp - hobie last summer. He posted here about it but I forget his name. The other yak fishos are not yet members here but very good blokes.

Dam is full to its old level (and rising) :D

I have been a little quiet here lately. Been working on a boat for Robin (allmost done)

There used to be a useable put in very close to the Wongi waterhole at a road causeway. Will get out there in the next week or two to check it out and a possible other option and I will make some equires about that one too. Should save a fair bit of driving over pretty poor roads.

I have the weekend off but can probably swing the friday as well. - one way or another. :mrgreen:

Really looking forward to finally meeting you blokes. :D

G
#15 ·
Tom

I may be the same as you, drive up Friday night and have a day and a bit for a fish.

My work is playing hardball with my holidays at the moment.

I will be there some how, I'm not missing this one for anything :D

Cheers

#16 ·
Last time we were there Mick the ranger told us we couldn't launch from the causeway, something about the trucks/graders that drive up and down that road not having much room. We got around it by unloading the yaks, driving the car back to the camp site and then riding a pushy back to the causeway and stashing it in the bush. You would never know we were there, but we only had four guys not 10.

#17 ·
OK. Will suss it out soon.

James (the ranger) is a really good bloke. Will feel him out about another possible option.

I spoke with Crayman this morning. He is keen for this one too so I think you can lock us both in. :D

#19 ·
Just the usual everyone bring there own stuff and what one person doesn't have someone else will. A big ass tarp would be the main thing that we need someone to bring. If anyone has firewood (you coming FishinRod?) bring that along.

#22 ·
Desperately trying to arrange my leave at work to join you guys. :D
bloody leave appears to be set in stone :shock: :?

have a mate from brissy who's got a new yak and eager to do Mondurran and Awoonga around the same time :D

my ideal plan would be SWR - Yamba - Awoonga - Mondurran then Lenthalls :shock: :shock: :D :D
trip of a lifetime :D

fingers crossed

cheers

Steve

#23 ·
As Sel said Steve, go to a higher authority. Would be good if you could join us, see how you go. Sounds like an awesome trip anyway even if you don't make it to Lenthalls.

#24 ·
G'Day Wayne D and all others.
I will be there with a possible camo Yak. Not a new one but a respray if Mick and i get a chance with his Air brush. I have not herd of any Barra getting caught but it has been cool up here of late with all the rain. The levels are looking great and at the moment the weed beds are producing some bass around the Kilo mark. four weeks ago i landed six for the day with the best two being 980g and 1150g each. They were fat and healthy fish both around 43-44cm. :D Both were on Mini Micro mullet green/yellow. I wont make it out to the Dam for a few weeks yet as i have had a sinus op on the 9th of jan and i am banned from activity fullstop for 2 weeks and light activity only for a further two weeks after that :( . I hope to up and running and have scoutted out some new spot before you guys arrive in March.
I might have my ute up and running by then so if you see a white HQ with yak on the roof stranded by the side of highway near a dam or lake please stop to see if it's me i am sure i will be happy to see someone(yes she has some relability problems at this stage).
For those who head up Australia weekend just be ready for the tinny brigade as they appear to want to drive close when your on or working a patch of weed bank and scare everything away with their motors just because they can't catch anything noisey buggers. C U All in March or maybe before.
Regards Crayman 8)

#25 ·
g'day Kris,

My order was posted a few days ago so should be here soon. :) :D

Hope ya are feeling better mate.

Started varinishing Robins boat today. "Purple Ferret"" :shock: :D

#26 ·
If I can make it ill be there for sure. just cant say till closer to the date

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.