Fishing Gear • Sebile Koolie question.

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Sebile Koolie question.

Postby yak69 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:48 pm

After much reading in the forum it would seem the koolie is a highly regarded lure for flatties and snapper.
Dropped into the local to pick one up, and they look the part for sure.
My question is, with a lure that can dive to 50ft(15m) how do you control the depth, esp when i read forums stating they are using a koolie in less than 5-7 m of water. :?:

Can't wait to blood the new yak as soon as time allows, and hoping to catch a report worthy specimen.
Cheers
Dave
yak69

Kayak: Prowler 4.1 Ultra

Re: Sebile Koolie question.

Postby nad97 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 pm

depth is controlled by how much line you have out. The More line the depper it gose.
nad97

Postby yak69 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:08 pm

thanks.
I assumed it would be something simple,
but is not a cheap lure to lose to the reef or weed!
yak69

Postby anselmo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:31 am

nad97 wrote:depth is controlled by how much line you have out. The More line the depper it gose.

to a point
after that line drag means more line equals less depth
anselmo
Legendary Member

Kayak: Kkk

Postby Beekeeper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:27 am

yak69 wrote:After much reading in the forum it would seem the koolie is a highly regarded lure for flatties and snapper.
Dropped into the local to pick one up, and they look the part for sure.
My question is, with a lure that can dive to 50ft(15m) how do you control the depth, esp when i read forums stating they are using a koolie in less than 5-7 m of water. :?:

Dave

Dave... you've bought the wrong one... look for this one... Koolie Minnow LL 76 mm Floating 6-12 Ft... This is the one that does all the damage... trust me.

I doesn't dive to 50ft or 15metres.

Lots of luck... Jimbo
Beekeeper
Elite Member

Kayak: Perception Acadia 370 SIK

Postby yak69 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 am

Aw crap,
And I thought yak fishing was going to be easy. ;-)
My tackle shop is gunna love me.
Anyway it was a pretty lure and I'm sure it'll get use.
I think this one falls into the category of "oooh shiny, i must have one"

Dave
yak69

Postby Junglefisher » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:05 am

Dave, chuck it out with only 5m or 10m of line and it will work fine.
Cheers
Craig

Sooty grunter Tarpon Jungle Perch Jack Aust. Grayling Coral Trout Barra Longtom Cobbler Brown trout Atl. Salmon Rainbow Trout Spangled emperor Estuary cod Flathead Snapper Murray Cod Mack Yella Whiting Pike Walleye Artic Greyling Snapper
Junglefisher
Legendary Member

Kayak: Revo Finn X-press Outfitter Gizmo Pelican

Postby kayakone » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

Dave

The LL 90 mm also works well, and does reduce your bite-off risk from tailor/mackeral. It is a Koolie Minnow, available in different sizes and depths. just ask for 'the Beekeeper Special'. :D

The sizes are: 76; 90; 102; 118?; 136; + + up to 190, which dives to 82 ft.

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby Bigdyl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 pm

CAV wrote:this is the one you want....

Best lure ever
Bigdyl
Valued Member

Kayak: Prowler elite 4.5

Postby 4weightfanatic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:57 pm

What makes the lure so special other than it catches fish :? as plenty of other lures catch fish. Is there anything about the lure that other lures don't mimic that could give it this dedicated following ? I have never seen one other than the pic above and it just looks like a deep diving minnow. Please enlighten me. Cheers Pat.
mesmerised by the hopelessness of logic.....then run down by the taxi cabs of absolute reality.
4weightfanatic
Veteran Member

Kayak: Australis Bass

Postby foxx1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 pm

nad97 wrote:depth is controlled by how much line you have out. The More line the depper it gose.

Yes dependent on the depth of water in which you are fishing but how do you measure how much line you let out when trolling?
foxx1
Valued Member

Kayak: australis foxx

Postby Beekeeper » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:09 am

4weightfanatic wrote:What makes the lure so special other than it catches fish :? as plenty of other lures catch fish. Is there anything about the lure that other lures don't mimic that could give it this dedicated following ? I have never seen one other than the pic above and it just looks like a deep diving minnow. Please enlighten me. Cheers Pat.

Pat... I originally bought the lure out of curiosity... kept seeing the Sebile range, thinking that they were pretty dear... a thought kept nagging at me... they might be bloody good lures, hence the price hike... I'll have to try one... this went on for months.

I finally bit the bullet and bought one, selected the one I thought was the right depth for my needs, the colour came from another rainbow trout coloured lure that had caught lots of fish for me in the past.

From the time it hit the water, it began catching fish for me... the tally of species caught by me on this lure is fifteen... another AKFF'er added another species as well... sixteen species from one lure!!

Why it catches fish ranging from jew to whiting is beyond me... but I'll keep using koolies while they're still available.

If I hadn't expressed my amazement at the range of fish it attracted, the notoriety would possibly never have existed... but I did, and it's there... and now they're pretty hard to get, bugger it!

Most everybody who has used them seems to catch fish with them.

But... I'm with you... they just look like any other deep diving lure to me, too.

Sorry I couldn't be of more use to you, Pat...

Cheers, Jimbo
Beekeeper
Elite Member

Kayak: Perception Acadia 370 SIK

Postby kpac » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 am

Jimbo.
Did you find success trolling, or with cast and retrieve? I'm assuming at those sort of depths, it's more suited to having it trolling out the back...
kpac

Kayak: STEALTH 430

Postby Feral2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:54 am

Pretty easy, with the cost of a Coolie, it never leaves the safe in the lounge room.........
Feral2

Kayak: Prowler + Tempo + Seabreeze + Bandit + Pacer

Postby Evoids » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 am

4weightfanatic wrote:What makes the lure so special other than it catches fish :? as plenty of other lures catch fish. Is there anything about the lure that other lures don't mimic that could give it this dedicated following ? I have never seen one other than the pic above and it just looks like a deep diving minnow. Please enlighten me. Cheers Pat.

The one thing I noticed when I first cast out this lure was the tight action. I compare it to an oversized bream lure. So combine this with its ultra deep diving and the thin profile and you have a potent combination! Most of my other really deep diving lures have a very wide wobble and have quite large profiles and although they are probably suitable for flatties and jew I get the feeling the wide action might scare off as many fish as they attract.

My 2 cents!
Pb's! Bream - 36cm-Flathead - 65cm-Estuary Cod - 36cm-Fingermark - 25cm-Trevally - 33cm-Jewfish - 58cm-Tarpon - 50cm to tip-Tailor - 45cm
Evoids
Veteran Member

Kayak: Viking Nemo w fishkit.

Next

Return to Fishing Gear