Fishing Gear • SP Rigging - Kpac's Stinger technique

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

SP Rigging - Kpac's Stinger technique

Postby kpac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Disclaimer:
I'm not pro angler, and i'm certainly not one that assumes i know as much as most people here regarding fishing. But i've just watched the SP rigging video posted and thought i may aswell share what has become one of my more favoured/successful SP rigs.
And i'm more than open to suggestions or criticism!

RIG
Side.jpg
Kpac's Stinger rig
Side.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 5415 times

Shown here on a Squidgie stealth prawn, but i have, and it certainly can be used on most soft plastics.

Theory
Minimal effort.
Minimal variation to original standard jig head
Stinger hook intention for non 'full/aggressive bites' - but maintain swimming action of bait, and not be messy or obtrusive in the water.

Method
- Insert jig head as standard.
- View side on and note where the gape of the hook is inside the SP (Note this is obviously easy on clear SP, but requires a bit of practice on solid colours.
- Line up (on the angle) where u can insert the stinger hook to end inline with the hook gap.
- Remove jig head
- Beak surface of under side of SP and then insert stinger hook eye end to align with where the gape was of jig head was
- Re-insert jig head, and put hook through eye of the stinger
- Align jig head and stinger to ensure SP is in natural form

Although that method, may seem hard to follow, by my description, it is actually very simple, and the images show it best.
Back.jpg
From behind
Back.jpg (24.25 KiB) Viewed 5415 times

Bottom.jpg
Underside with exposed stinger
Bottom.jpg (19.85 KiB) Viewed 5415 times

Top.jpg
From above
Top.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 5415 times

Hook.jpg
Hook set. Works like and extended treble
Hook.jpg (25.06 KiB) Viewed 5415 times

Result
Honestly, i don't actually use this rig unless i find it warranted. Ie, if the fish are a little slow, and not taking the whole bait, i consider rigging it up.
My intentions is towards bream. 2 reasons: 1. I find they attack half way along the baits quite often, and swim off with the mid-section of the bait in their mouth, sometime, the jig head hook is not in the location. 2. I have a habit of striking on the hit, regardless of my own rational not to. Stikes to hookup ratio, significant increase with shown rig.

The stinger hook shown is my preferred, however it obviously could be substituted. It is a high quality gamakatsu double, which has a very suitable size eye for this application. I use to do it with a treble, but the hooks ent up facing down, and were to likely to snag.
Could also be rigged up the other way, but it would obviously increase snags like the treble. Can also be rigged through the top, and i do do this sometimes depending on the type of SP i'm using.
These prawns are probably the best for it, and can be lethal on beam by themselves. It is basically turning the jig head into a treble.
You can see on the images that the hooks on the stinger don't protrude far away from the SP, it therefore still requires the fish to chomp the bait.
Turned up as i've shown it, i have had very little issues with snags, but i generally play a 1/20 jighead to encourage the strike on the drop.

Hope it's of some interest to someone.
kpac

Kayak: STEALTH 430

Re: SP Rigging - Kpac's Stinger technique

Postby kpac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm

If the same rig has been shown before, i apologise. I couldn't see it with the quick search i did.
kpac

Postby kayakone » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:43 pm

This looks like a very credible idea to improving the hook-up rate on SP's, On bigger SP's, say 5 - 6", to lesson the chance of being bitten off by tailor/mackeral, I did a bit of experimentation by adding a treble on a short bit of wire. I like your idea better.

As you say, " maintaining the swimming action of bait" is the key. I think you may be onto a winner.

trev
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby kpac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:21 pm

I'd be interested to hear how it works for you Trev.
As well as the natural action of the fish, i'm keen to avoid the rigging of small trace lines to trebles etc, that i've seen some variations of.
kpac

Postby Ado » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:33 pm

Looks very neat ans simple kpac. I'm not used to stingers so forgive my ignorance. Are you concerned that the stinger hook could slip back off the jig head during a fight? Ganged hooks can't do this because the eye is smaller than the barb, but this is obviously not the case with your setup.
Adrian
36cm Redfin, 58cm Golden Perch, 35cm Whiting, 38cm Tailor, 42cm Sand Flathead, 62cm Dusky Flathead, 32cm Snapper, 47cm Black Bream, 68cm Salmon, 30cm Flounder, 42cm Frigate Mackerel
Ado

Kayak: Hobie Adventure

Postby RackRaider » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:29 pm

https://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55580
Ado, this thread's vid shows this rigging method, the harder the fish pulled the harder the mono loop would hold the treble on.
AKFF Junior

PB's: Longtom: 79cm Scad: 40cm Shovelnose Ray: 1- 1.2m on 2-4kg gear Flathead: 50-55cm
Tailor: 30cm Black Tip Reef Shark: 75cm Bream: 41cm Spangled Perch: 32cm Swallow-Tail Dart: 38cm Whiting: 34cm

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
RackRaider
Valued Member

Kayak: Prowler 13

Postby kpac » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 am

Ado wrote:Looks very neat ans simple kpac. I'm not used to stingers so forgive my ignorance. Are you concerned that the stinger hook could slip back off the jig head during a fight? Ganged hooks can't do this because the eye is smaller than the barb, but this is obviously not the case with your setup.

Generally yes, i assumed there would be some issues with a head shake or decent fight, however i'm yet to encounter a fish that has got away with just the stinger hook. I make sure i've always got pressure on due to this concern. Had many bream, few flathead and a squire all come in holding onto the stinger only.
Also, if i do lose one and find my SP with just the jig head, i know i wouldn't have even had the hookup with the stinger anyway, so not great loss.
I'll be sure to update if they start to come off.
kpac

Postby pescado » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 am

If its a worry, you could hole punch some little discs out of a milk bottle to stop the stinger sliding off the main hook. Nice looking setup there.
pescado
Veteran Member

Kayak: Revo

Postby koich » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:01 am

Or get a hole punch and take to the closest display folder cover. That's how I make stoppers for stinger hooks on spinnerbaits.
koich
Legendary Member

Kayak: Viking Predator

Postby kpac » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Well i've got a few depending on size of SP.
But this was a #8 suitable for bream flathead etc.
There's plenty of options available.
kpac

Return to Fishing Gear