stuff

Trip Reports • shallow inlet vic 28 feb

Go on then, tell us how you went...

shallow inlet vic 28 feb

Postby lars » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:55 pm

felt the need to get away so shot down to mums holiday house down at venus bay friday arvo after work. went down the surf beach sat morn nice & early & got some fresh pippies, then later drove across to shallow inlet for the arvo low tide. upon getting there pumped some bass yabbies & then launched my hobie. action was pretty slow. got some little pinkies & an undersize whiting, kept getting picked off, suspect more little whiting. had a brief run on the bigger outfit that was hoping for a gummy for no result other than a crushed bait. tried a couple of moves for similar results, then had a big hit on the bigger rig with a salmon fillet on it, called it for a stingray but never sure till you eyeball it so frantically wound in 2 rods & retrieved anchor with one hand while hanging onto big rod with the other & watching the spool being fairly quickly emptied. finally got everything in & started pedalling after whatever it was on the end of the line & retrieving line to get some back on the spool, got towed around for the best part of 15 mins before finally raising a massive stingray (as suspected). got as close as i could & tightened the drag up a bit, tried to get him up to release him but snapped off at the swivel at the leader, all in all great fun & a real workout for the arms but not the gummy i was hoping for. called it quits just before the wind kicked up, lovely arvo on the water in a great part of the world. had planned a night fish at venus bay later on but decided against it, was pretty happy with my call when later on a massive storm came through & i was sitting warm & dry with a beer instead of out on the water.
I might be slow but I'm rough
lars

Kayak: Hobie Outfitter

Return to Trip Reports