Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

palmy fires up 1.4m spanish

2K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  carnster 
#1 ·
Paddled out this morn in the dark and as soon was i hit spot x my reel screamed. The fish peeled off 200m and broke the surface just like the fish that i have lost recently. This time the hooks held and i gaffed him green as 10mins later. Stoked as, i paddled straight back in and even landed a school mack on the way in. The pics don't really show the true chunkiness of the fish but the brag mat shot shows its length. Ant and co may have a few stories i am sure.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
And green (with jealousy) we shall remain.

We went to DIP for days, and BigKev hooks up, then falls off his yak! :eek: :)

What weight Carnster?

Trevor

#7 ·
Legendary Mate well done ,
You guys had a good session this morning i heard good stories and maybe tomorrow i can have ago if i get cracking now(do some work) instead of drooling over the Pedro's coming out!

#9 ·
Awesome Chris

After speaking to Todd last night, and noticing how keen he was. When he see's that pic I'm pretty sure he's going to be waiting for you on the beach
come the weekend. They may even be short a maths teacher tomorrow

#11 ·
The Carnster strikes again. It was a great morning very few boats with Carnster, Dennis, Pete and myself the only yaks out there. Everyone managed fish with Spanish, spotties and cobes caught. The cobes were hitting the pilly rigs with none under 10kgs :shock: :shock: Certainly gave the new jigmaster a workout. Nice work boys.

Cheers
Ant

#14 ·
Awesome fish chris. See you guys in the morning?
Cheers jay

#17 ·
HardPlastic said:
Awesome Carnster. Bigger than I thought hung around Palmy. Mate, in light of BigKev's loss and a biggun I lost this year, can I ask what leader knot you are using?

Cheers

Greg
My rig:
30lb to 50 lb braid (overkill, mainly use it for when the xos cobes turn up) to a swivel (collar and capstan knot) to 60lb mono to swivel to 58lb single strand with haywire twist to a pillie rig.

#22 ·
Collar & capstan? Haven't heard of that one before. Doesn't seem like an easy knot to do on the fly in the kayak from the directions I saw.

Have you used palomar knots? I always do two wraps of the loop before putting it around the swivel. Never had one slip or bust, but I haven't fought a 1+ metre mackerel yet... I've only snagged the bottom & broke other parts of the rig. Never the braided knot.

-Kris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.