Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

B-Line Petrel

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Raider 
#1 ·
I'm asking this in hindsight- I've already bought the kayak :lol:

I've been wanting to do a rescue course, learn to roll, etc. Clearly my SOT is not the right sort of kayak for rolling :) So I've been vaguely thinking about getting a sit-in yak in order to learn these skills. I noticed a house down the road advertising a kayak for sale - bought it today for $200. A B-Line Petrel in beautiful condition, with paddle thrown into the deal. I must say, I really like it and can't wait to take it out tomorrow. Have no idea how "good" it is though. Is the brand fairly reliable? Could I safely paddle across the bay, rather than hugging the shore? I don't have the skill yet to head into open water, so I'll leave that question for another day :)

#2 ·
What "bay" are you talking about mate?

B-line make very good paddle craft in general and Petrel is no exception. From memory, they were designend as a flat water touring kayak (TK1)? but I'm not sure. I think that once you get used to it, you will be very happy with this boat. - enjoy.

At the price, it was a bargain and well worth a couple of flush mounts in my opinion. :D

#3 ·
ok for the bay - moreton bay - just better if you get days like today , glassy .... as you already know - being a paddler - see how you feel...head out and if it doesn't feel right , give a few practice runs in the creek....i've seen all types of kayak and boards on the bay as far out as green island , some i wouldn't even let the kids use in the pool if i had one :shock: - so any day at or under 12knots will be ok in the bay in your " bargain " .. :)

#4 ·
Sorry, yeah - Moreton Bay.

I gave her a test run on the weekend, really a pleasure to paddle. Not as easy as the SOT to fish off, but lovely for paddling about. My Dad took her out as well and had 2 dugongs come up less than 10 metres from him - serious envy here!!! :lol:

#5 ·
Boys, I am a seakayaker and paddle all over Moreton Bay. Green Island is not even far enough offshore for our mob to stop for a break when we paddle to Moreton from that area. Our normal saturday paddle is between 30 and 40km depending on weather and tides. I also have a Petrel which is one of seven kayaks I own and would not take it out in the Bay at any time in case the weather picked up as it so often does in our area even though I can roll and self rescue.

The Petrel was never intended to be anything other than a flatwater kayak for use in rivers and dams etc. and is great for that but is pretty hard to control in a seaway. The next level is the likes of the Tidemark made by Rosco and it is bigger. It was designed as an estuary kayak and has a rudder so it will take a little more and possibly do Green Island on most days. That's only 5k offshore and pretty sheltered. It is also more stable than the TK1 and basically bridges the gap between a flatwater and a sea kayak. In a club situation with a pod of a dozen or so paddlers, most of whom know rescue techniques, we have paddled Tidemarks from Southport to Sandgate via Dunwich but I would never recommend it solo and wouldn't even consider it in a TK1 in any circumstances. Besides, a seakayak is much quicker and more seaworthy.

In any event I wouldn't recommend going offshore at all without the basic safety gear of a spray skirt, a PFD, paddle leash and bailing equipment (pump or sponge) and water as well as knowing how to self rescue. A mobile phone in an aquapac with the local VMR number keyed in is also a good idea. It is not a good idea to go out there alone if you are not experienced. Over the years we have rescued a few paddlers who have gone out there under resourced and underskilled. I am not suggesting for a moment that any of you would do that and I applaud the use of the forum to exchange ideas and learn from each other. I hope you take this advice in the spirit in which it is intended.

Cheers

Raider

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.