Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

DIY Hobie sail-furler

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  buttcrack 
#1 ·
Nice, neat and well presented mod. It looks 100% better than the one I made for my outback. Thanks for posting.

#2 ·
Hi Mingle - ok, I'm puzzled - why do you have the bungee between the mainsheet and the clew? (the bottom corner that the mainsheet attaches to). To my way of thinking you'd loose feel in the sail?

I just tie the mainsheet directly to the eye in the clew with a bowline.

I use my sail bungee to clip sail to the boat .. runs from the tack (bottom corner next to the mast) down to the ..ah .. little peg thing just below the mast step..

when the sail is furled, both the mast & the sail rotates, and the bungee can get caught in the furling line if you're not careful

which is a bit of a hassle .. but the bungee serve 2 purposes - it keeps the sail kit firmly attached to the boat, and it tensions the luff (the edge of the sail that runs down the mast. this enables the sail to keep it's idea shape ..

with the bungee on the mainsheet it seems to me that you'll have uncontrolled movement of the sail up & down the mast, as well as in & out horizontally .. so you're potentially loosing control of the shape ..?
I very much like yr roller furler - i made a scruffy short version with a wider pipe .. works ok, but I have fitted a block in the footwell so the furler line runs up to the furler at an angle (to avoid getting tangled up with the bungee when the sail is let out) so now it slips off and wraps around the mast. version 1.2 is called for!

oh bugger it, I'm going to have to take some photos aren't I? will do soon!

#6 ·
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info! Below is a link to how I installed my furler...

Cheers,
Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.