condor f-238 fish finder

Sounders, Shark Shields, and other electronics

condor f-238 fish finder

Postby koolkuna » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:45 pm

does anybody have any reviews on the condor f-238 fishfinder and fitting instruction to my kayak thanks
koolkuna

Kayak: emotion stealth

Re: condor f-238 fish finder

Postby emufingers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:10 pm

I have one and it seems to work well. I had to turn sensitivity down a bit in shallow water due to double echo off the hull and some weird depth readings intermittently. Since then has been as good as gold.. Installation was a breeze. The insructions are in the booklet. A basic stick it to the hull with airbubble free sealant is all that is required for the transponder. Nice clear display.
Jerry
emufingers
Valued Member

Kayak: Mission Catch 390

Postby koolkuna » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:58 pm

thanks jerry just wondering how water proof the fish finder is and where would the cheapest place be to buy
koolkuna

Postby emufingers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Water proofing is rated IP67 so should be fine unless you go for roll in the surf. Even then might be OK. It appeasr to be well made and sealed. I have washed mine off with a light hose mist to get salt off the screen with no probs. Got mine from Angler's warehouse $89 plus $10 dollar postage Ordered Monday am delivered to SA Wednesday am ex Queensland.
Jerry
emufingers
Valued Member

Postby koolkuna » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm

emufingers wrote:Water proofing is rated IP67 so should be fine unless you go for roll in the surf. Even then might be OK. It appeasr to be well made and sealed. I have washed mine off with a light hose mist to get salt off the screen with no probs. Got mine from Angler's warehouse $89 plus $10 dollar postage Ordered Monday am delivered to SA Wednesday am ex Queensland.

jerry do you need to buy a 12volt battery or does the unit charge from a 12volt battery
koolkuna

Postby BigGee » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:57 pm

I use one.

Does the job. Has been in heaps of rain and has not displayed any problems yet.

Okay for a cheap sounder.

Gee

Do it right or do it twice.
BigGee
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island + PA + Sport

Postby emufingers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:53 pm

a 12v battery is needed. I have a 7ah sealed lead acid battery, but this is overkill as the unit does not use much. However there is not much difference in price for the smaller ones so I got the bigger one whgich my local auto shop had in stock. Do not charge with a normal car battery charger as they push too much current. I use my RC plane charger.
Jerry
emufingers
Valued Member

Postby BigGee » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:13 am

emufingers wrote:Do not charge with a normal car battery charger as they push too much current.

Definitely.

I purchased a proper Sealed Lead Acid battery charger from Jaycar, which also has a fantastic range of Sealed Lead Acid batteries usually cheaper than elsewhere, that will suit size and shape limitations also. The proper chargers will switch to trickle once full charge is reached.

Oh and I had another cheap "smart charger" at work once that I thought would do the business. Came in one morning and the Battery was a Balloon. Dangerous stuff.

Gee

Do it right or do it twice.
BigGee
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island + PA + Sport

Return to Electronics