DAG MIDWAY

DAG MIDWAY

Postby DAGMIDWAY » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Bought myself a DAG MIDWAY White colour looks and goes great. :D I have seen a couple of reviews from the U.S but would like to know what we Aussies think about them...Fishability....Storage ....Riding waves and what accesorries that you have added to your MIDWAY. I have added a Scotty flush mount to the front just behind the hatch i was told it would not fit but it does with several MMs to spare.In time i will add other bits and pieces. Just like to know your thoughts.
DAGMIDWAY

Kayak: DAG MIDWAY

Re: DAG MIDWAY

Postby robsea » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Dagmidway

Sorry that i can't help you but I felt sorry for you that no one has yet replied. Why don't you write the review. I bet that it is great!

cheers

rob
robsea
Veteran Member

Kayak: Barras+Scapa+Revo

Postby solatree » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Dunnyfromsouthoz has a DAG Midway ..see viewtopic.php?f=17&t=37603&p=392176#p392176

He hasn't posted much, but did take the DAG Midway on a spectacular trip along the south coast of SA's Fleurieu Peninsula - well worth looking at the video link viewtopic.php?f=17&t=37628

There was also an earlier post on the DAG Midway see viewtopic.php?f=4&p=223436
regards Andrew

It's a solitary Yacca
solatree
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Sport + Mission Catch 390 + Xstream 420

Postby dunnyfromsouthoz » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi DagMidway

As Solatree mentioned, I do have a DAG Midway, and am really pleased with it. I purchased it in Aug09 and have been out on it about 25x in the last year, mainly with the Adelaide Canoe Club doing formal and informal trips, ranging from a few km to 30km. Occasionally I take the rod out, but not very often.
Its a good boat and a good compromise between speed and something that you can fish from, and also catch a few waves.
Its not quite as fast as some of the other guys Mirage's, but they cost about 3x the price I paid for mine (I purchased it from Sydney for $1,020) hence I have to work a bit harder to keep up with them. However it cruises nicely at 6kph and gets up to 8 or 9kph when you push it.

I havent made any alterations to mine - I like it to be simple and free from clutter, as I like to catch a few smallish waves at Pt Noarlunga regularly - and having less bits & pieces on it makes it easier to get back in after being dumped.

Storage in the front is good, although the bulkhead between the front hatch and the cockpit does limit the amount of gear you can put in. At times I overload the front with heavy gear and it causes the front to dig in too much.
The rear storage is very average (its a round dish shape thats meant to take a round drum). I wish it was wider and slightly deeper and longer - if it were, you could fit a lot more drybags, etc in the rear. The rear cargo net does well to hold things in place though.
Nevertheless, I managed to do a 4 day / 80km paddle on the Murray in Easter and managed to fit everything in - 12ltrs water, food, 1man tent, sleeping stretcher, camp chair, food, clothes, gas stove, sleeping bag, pillow and a bottle of chocolate port :)

Its ok in the surf, but because it has little rocker (ie it has a long flat bottom), it doesnt catch large waves (3-4ft face) very well (the nose digs in and it broaches). On small waves (2ft face) its great fun and really flies along.

If you need more info, email me at mikedunn AT adam.com.au (replace the AT with @ and remove the spaces)

jmac on KFDU has one as well - he helped me out quite a bit when I asked questions re his setup.

Im in Adelaide - where abouts are you?

Cheers
Dunny
dunnyfromsouthoz

Kayak: Cobra Expedition 5.5m DAG Midway 4.4m

Postby Fabien » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 pm

A video From DAG representative spoke about the Midway angler :

http://www.youtube.com/dagkayak#p/f/3/PRRZPpGmv1w
Fabien

Kayak: RTM - DAG kayak

Return to Kayak Reviews