Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v1.0 - updated!

This is the main discussion forum.

Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v1.0 - updated!

Postby mingle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi all,

I recently picked up a set of Finn kayak outriggers to add a bit of stability to my Revo - particularly since I also just picked up the Hobie sail-kit.

Today I gave them a test-run on a local lake. I had the outrigger crossbars lashed to a couple of stubs of 40mm PVC tube (in the moulded-in rod-holders) with bungee and electrical tape.

I also made up a sail-furler, which was also at prototype-stage, but worked pretty well.

Here's a pic of the rig before I set out on the first test-run:

revo_sail.jpg

The wind was pretty strong & gusty and a couple of times the floats were almost totally submerged. I found that leaning a bit, against the wind, helped.

I also made a very scrappy video showing how the sail and outriggers went - this was my first ever attempt at yak-sailing!

The floats were great at giving a bit of extra stability without the sail, but I think they're at their limit when the wind picks up.

I still have to fine-tune the outrigger-bar lengths and hull attachment points, but I'll post a few more pics and info when I get it all sorted.

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PB (roadkills): fox 85cm, rabbit 32cm, dove 26cm, dragonfly 11cm, mega-moth 9cm, hippy 195cm
mingle
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Re: Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v0.5!

Postby kayakone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Mingleman sails solo around......something.

Great fun - no stopping you now. And cheaper than an AI?

Trevor
trev

Whaler 1.5 m; Tailor 65 cm; Bream 43 cm; Snapper 85 cm; Flathead 98 cm; Estuary cod 55cm; Spotted mackeral 85 cm; Papuan trevally 120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda 100 cm; Spanish 77 cm; Longtail tuna 120 cm (15 kgs); Sting ray got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby mingle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Yep, it's certainly a whole lot cheaper and lighter than an AI. Nowhere near as capable, but it'll give me a taste of yak-sailing to see if like it.

It was quite 'interesting' when the first big gusts hit - the yak certainly picked-up speed pretty quickly. The fastest I went was only about 6-7km/h, but it felt faster :-)
PB (roadkills): fox 85cm, rabbit 32cm, dove 26cm, dragonfly 11cm, mega-moth 9cm, hippy 195cm
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby john316 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Mingle, when you have the outriggers sorted and you are crossing the wind, haul the sail in close and you will get rid of the sail flutter and it will also give you a real kick in the back as the thing surges forward. If the outriggers aren't strong enough to take the sideways strain you might get wet though. It is a whole lot of fun when you get the nack of sailing.

have fun with it

John
john316
Elite Member

Kayak: A.I. and Revo.

Postby mingle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:08 am

I think leaning over a bit should prevent it from tipping and, yes I need some sailing practice :-)

Thanks,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby SurfanFish » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:45 am

Be keen to see this in action if I get a chance Mike. I sort of miss sailing and its something that's been back of mind for me for a while.

If common sense was common, there would be more of it!
SurfanFish
Elite Member

Kayak: dorado espri

Postby mingle » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:58 am

@Surfanfish, I'm sorting it all out at the moment and should have it all bolted together by tomorrow, then I'll give it another test-run on Lysterfield lake some time this week (weather permitting).

You're welcome to take it for a spin if you can make it along. If not, I'll probably be down at Phillip Island in a week or two.

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Legendary Member

Re: Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v1.0!

Postby mingle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm

Here are a couple of close-up pics of the floats:

finn1.jpg

finn2.jpg

The floats, as shown in the photos, weigh just under 1.5kg each.

The displacement of the floats would probably be about 10 litres - just a guess, but because of the fairly 'tapered' profile, they don't give maximum buoyancy until they're almost submerged.

The fixing hardware (crossbars, clamps, etc) are pretty much identical to the Hobie sidekicks, but the floats are much tougher and more streamlined.

I've just fixed the crossbar to the hull and set-up the outrigger bars and will give them a proper try out as soon as the weather improves.

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby bildad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:13 am

Watching with interest, increasing distance to fishing spots and saving the legs. One tip on sailing, if you have your Mirage drive fins straight up and down it will help you sail up wind much better.
Someday I'll have money, money isn't easy come by, by the time its come by, I'll be gone!
PB: Flathead 84cm, Blue Salmon 66cm, Jew 48cm, Grunter 45cm,Trevally 43cm, Bass 40cm, Coral Trout 38cm, Mangrove Jack 30cm, Bream 25cm, Fingermark 20cm
bildad
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outfitter

Postby DavidA » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Please keep us posted on the progress. I reckon there would be quite a few interested people watching this. Can you post photo(s) of the attachment of the crossbars to the revo, please?

cheers

David
Hobie Pro Angler 12 - 2013
DavidA

Kayak: Hobie PA12 2013

Re: Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v1.0 - updated!

Postby mingle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Okay, I have the outriggers all set up and properly bolted to the hull. I also rigged up a cheek-block and cam-cleat for the
furling line and a small block for the mainsheet. I just need some sort of cleat for the mainsheet and then it'll be all sorted.

So I took it out to Lysterfield again today, for an hour, and all went well. The wind was from the SSE around 10-15km/h,
gusting up to 20km/h.

Despite my reservations about the lack of buoyancy of the floats, they performed well. I wouldn't say they'd make the Revo impossible
to tip, but they'd certainly provide enough flotation for you to be able to react to prevent a potential capsize while under sail.

Being a novice I still have a great deal to learn, but by me leaning into the wind it was easy to keep the Revo straight and
level even during the stronger gusts.

I didn't fully test the stability of the outriggers, although I did manage to stand-up (albeit rather unsteadily!) without ending up in the drink!

I found that I could go pretty fast across the wind and managed a top-speed under sail of 8.2km/h. The boat did seem to 'slip' sideways with
the wind a little bit, despite having the mirage fins in the vertical position. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. It wasn't a big deal though.

Here are a few pics from the trip:

Rigged-up and ready to go...
1setup.jpg

From a different angle...
2setup.jpg

The deck layout, showing furler & mainsheet (still needs work!)
3layout.jpg

The harken-block and cam-cleat for the furling line...
4furler.jpg

Mainsheet line and attachment to the sail via bungee and clip... (the bungee is also used to keep the sail wrapped-up when in storage)
5sail.jpg

Centre crossbar mounts (attached to the hull via 6mmx50mm s/s screws & nuts)...
6crossbar.jpg

The two outriggers floats with crossbars attached...
7outriggers.jpg

Float sitting at rest in the water - just the right height...
8float.jpg

This is the track of the trip - just under 5km, average speed of 4km/h, wind from the SSE...
9sail_track.jpg

Hope you find it interesting!

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby john316 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Mingle, always interesting when someone is trying out new stuff. hope your getting a kick out of both the experimenting and the sailing...

cheers

John
john316
Elite Member

Kayak: A.I. and Revo.

Postby Bertros » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:18 pm

This is fascinating Mingle. Could you sail it into the wind or did you have to peddle to make progress in that direction?
cheers,
matt
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 51cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Flounder - 27cm; Kingfish - 71cm; Snapper - 60cm; Squid - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Bigeye Trevally - 41cm; Silver Trevally - 34cm; Whiting - 31cm
Bertros

Kayak: Revo 13 + AI

Postby mingle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:26 pm

I only had to pedal when I was changing direction - even then it was only for a few metres until the wind filled the sail again.

Sailing into the wind seemed to work reasonably well - I'm a very novice sailor and I was amazed that the Revo was still moving along against the wind.

I never actually tried sailing at less than say 30 degrees off the wind direction, but I suspect someone with more experience would be able to.

It adds a whole new dimension to yakking, I can tell you...

Cheers,

Mike.

Bertros wrote:This is fascinating Mingle. Could you sail it into the wind or did you have to peddle to make progress in that direction?
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby kayakone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Mingle

Looks like you're enjoying the sailing. It's addictive.

A couple of questions.
Were the Hobie sidekicks not suitable? For what reasons?
Could you get a glassing guy to extend them to say 1m length for even more support bouyancy (though this could introduce loadings the Revo was not designed to take)?

Trevor
trev

Whaler 1.5 m; Tailor 65 cm; Bream 43 cm; Snapper 85 cm; Flathead 98 cm; Estuary cod 55cm; Spotted mackeral 85 cm; Papuan trevally 120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda 100 cm; Spanish 77 cm; Longtail tuna 120 cm (15 kgs); Sting ray got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Next

Return to Main