Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v1.0 - updated!

This is the main discussion forum.

Re: Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v0.5!

Postby kayakone » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Mingleman sails solo around......something.

Great fun - no stopping you now. And cheaper than an AI?

Trevor
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Kayak: Natureline Marlin + Mermaid + Stealth BFS + AI

Postby john316 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Mingle, when you have the outriggers sorted and you are crossing the wind, haul the sail in close and you will get rid of the sail flutter and it will also give you a real kick in the back as the thing surges forward. If the outriggers aren't strong enough to take the sideways strain you might get wet though. It is a whole lot of fun when you get the nack of sailing.

have fun with it

John
john316
Elite Member

Kayak: A.I. and Revo.

Postby bildad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:43 am

Watching with interest, increasing distance to fishing spots and saving the legs. One tip on sailing, if you have your Mirage drive fins straight up and down it will help you sail up wind much better.
Someday I'll have money, money isn't easy come by, by the time its come by, I'll be gone!
PB: Flathead 84cm, Blue Salmon 66cm, Jew 48cm, Grunter 45cm,Trevally 43cm, Bass 40cm, Coral Trout 38cm, Mangrove Jack 30cm, Bream 25cm, Fingermark 20cm
bildad
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Outfitter

Postby DavidA » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Please keep us posted on the progress. I reckon there would be quite a few interested people watching this. Can you post photo(s) of the attachment of the crossbars to the revo, please?

cheers

David
Hobie Pro Angler 12 - 2013
DavidA

Kayak: Hobie PA12 2013

Re: Hobie Revo - sail & outriggers v1.0 - updated!

Postby john316 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Mingle, always interesting when someone is trying out new stuff. hope your getting a kick out of both the experimenting and the sailing...

cheers

John
john316
Elite Member

Postby kayakone » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Mingle

Looks like you're enjoying the sailing. It's addictive.

A couple of questions.
Were the Hobie sidekicks not suitable? For what reasons?
Could you get a glassing guy to extend them to say 1m length for even more support bouyancy (though this could introduce loadings the Revo was not designed to take)?

Trevor
trev

Whaler 1.5m; Tailor 65cm; Bream 43cm; Jew 82 cm;Snapper 85cm; Flathead98 cm; Estuary cod55cm; Spotted mackeral96 cm; Papuan trevally120 cm & 20 kg; Barracuda100 cm; Spanish77 cm; Longtail tuna120 cm (15 kgs); 2 X Sting rays, one got me (twice) 175 cm
kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby bildad » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Great stuff Mingle, I reckon your the King of DIY!
If you want to sail closer to the wind, ie point the nose higher up wind and limit that side ways movement you will need to make a centre board-dagger board that would fit throught the mirage slot, however that would mean another accessory taking up valuable space, unless you were going sailing only, in which case you would might as well get a sailing boat, lol.
But I think what you have done is highly practical for fishing, extending your range.
Might I ask how much you have spent on this setup,?
Something like a Master Card Ad.
2 outriggers $100
Sail another $200
blah blah blah
3 cartons of piss thinking it through $100
for everyhting else there's mastercard.
Luv your work 8)
Someday I'll have money, money isn't easy come by, by the time its come by, I'll be gone!
PB: Flathead 84cm, Blue Salmon 66cm, Jew 48cm, Grunter 45cm,Trevally 43cm, Bass 40cm, Coral Trout 38cm, Mangrove Jack 30cm, Bream 25cm, Fingermark 20cm
bildad
Elite Member

Postby GMansfish » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:44 am

Mingle nice rig, looks the goods. Good onya. I am curious on the sail and mast what size is it? Looks like the AI sail or is it smaller? If you could let us know as I am thinking of smaller sail for Polynesian set up on the AI.
GMansfish

Got to take the dog for a walk.Nothing to do with solo trip reports.
GMansfish

Kayak: viking nemo feelin blue+AI seein red

Postby kayakone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:03 am

bildad wrote:If you want to sail closer to the wind, ie point the nose higher up wind and limit that side ways movement you will need to make a centre board-dagger board that would fit throught the mirage slot....

Maybe not necessarily. I believe Trimaran outer hulls or some types of Cat hulls are assymetric shape. I can't be sure, but I think the outer edge of the downwind hull/outrigger is flatter sided than the inside, and this creates more resistance against side drift, and improves upwind capabilities without the need for (or with less reliance upon) a leeboard/centreboard. Someone said something about this on the forum some time ago, or was I dreaming?

Calling sailing AKFFers...are you awake?

Probably not. God bless my soul, it's after 1 am. I should be dreamin'.

It's good night from me.

Trevor
trev

kayakone
Legendary Member

Postby FiftyCal » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:58 am

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I plan to stick a sail and outriggers onto my Revo, but I may hold off and look into these Finn outriggers
FiftyCal
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution

Postby GMansfish » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Mingle, cheers shall look into that sail as would probably suit slower sailing, on the mid day NE.
GMansfish

Got to take the dog for a walk.Nothing to do with solo trip reports.
GMansfish

Kayak: viking nemo feelin blue+AI seein red

Postby john316 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Mingle, the dagger board idea may be well suited to a sailing boat but I would recomend NO... The AI has a dagger board but it also has a moulded slot for it so that you can still use the pedals. If you centre the pedals your mirage will give you an effective dagger board anyway and you will still need the pedals as well as the sail. Trimarans are harder to get across the wind when you are tacking and I always pedal across the tack until I pick up the wind again. This is not having a go at bildad as the idea is sound, but from experience on the AI you will need the mirage more than the centre board. I often sail without the dagger board in as it becomes more necessary as the wind gets stronger but that also tends to negate the conditions for fishing...

cheers

John
john316
Elite Member

Postby bildad » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:12 pm

john316 wrote:Mingle, the dagger board idea may be well suited to a sailing boat but I would recomend NO... The AI has a dagger board but it also has a moulded slot for it so that you can still use the pedals. If you centre the pedals your mirage will give you an effective dagger board anyway and you will still need the pedals as well as the sail.

De Ja Vu, didn't I just say that? lol
bildad
Elite Member

Postby mattmoki » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Mingle & all - really interesting read. I like the look of those outriggers. But seeing as you're the bass player in spinal tap, did you not think of using a couple of outsized cucumbers wrapped in tinfoil? :D

anyhow, I have the hobie sail on my revo. Love it! I've made the same roller-furler that you have but have been sailing without outriggers so far.

For a sailing dinghy the Revo is an excellent kayak! But nevertheless, it's amazing that it sails into the wind as well as it does, but that is due to the mirrage-drive emulating a bit of a centre-board (plus the sailing rudder too of course). It goes really well on a broad reach. I have recently upgraded from the standard fins to the STs and can notice a distinct improvement . I'm guessing the Turbos wold act even better as a centreboard but I'm not sure i can be bothered. and of course the sailing rudder is a must-have. The standard rudder is mostly out of the water when the yak has any sort of heel (lean) on it when tacking (going into the wind).

without the assistance of the mirage drive it's basically impossible to go completely about (turn with the wind going across the bow) but it's easy enough to gybe (turn with the wind going across the stern). I have put the boat about under sail on a couple of occasions but it slows down so much its not worth it. peddling through the turn is much better.

The trick with Gybing is to control it nicely by yanking the mainsheet just before the wind gets behind the sail. then duck! the sail flips over to the other side with a satisfying thwack! :-)

When I'm sailing into the wind it's most effective to keep the boat as flat as possible, so I lean to windward, and keep working the mainsheet to keep the sail in shape - and let the sheet out to de-power the sail when the wind gusts. the revo is BLOODY TIPPY .. so it's a really good idea to stay awake! keeping the boat flat when tacking reduces the leeway .. where the boat slips sideways as well as moving forward. the leeway effect is less on a reach or broad reach and there's none when you're running downwind.

I like the way you've added fittings to help with the furling line and mainsheet - I'll have to get onto that. I have got a couple of blocks that i run the mainsheet through but so far no other tweaks.

My theory is that the sail is a good value-add to use on the way back from a trip. It pays to rig the mainsheet before setting out but keep the mast & sail rigged but clippled to the side of that yak. i fished with the mast up once and it was a mistake .. for obvious reasons.. pity it wasn't obvious to me at the time!

It's easy enough to drop the mast & furled sail if the wind gets too much - I have had to do that a couple of times - again just clip it to the side as if it is a paddle.
one thing i wonder - what is the optimum distance for the outriggers to be from the hull? the further away the higher the force where the outrigger crossbars attach to the revo, and the more turning force any drag would have. any comments about that anyone?

and speaking of drag, I pedal slightly when sailing - this overcomes the friction of the hull in the water and seems to maximise converting the lift of the sail into forward motion .. the technique is the opposite of shallow water pedaling .. that is, the pedals are centered and I make very short pedaling movements to keep the fins as vertical as possible.

anyway, thanks again - I'm off to the finn website now to check 'em out! cheers Matt
'Be yourself - everyone else is taken"
mattmoki

Kayak: Feelfree Gemini - Hobie Revolution 13

Postby mattmoki » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:48 pm

looking forward to the video tour.

I can sail, and you can make things! looks like we could learn stuff from each other!

Your roller furler sounds way more sophisticated than mine - i made this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzuizPhwDsY

sounds like your one is schmicker and easier to use.. is it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_stDzQJ ... ure=g-vrec

sorry about any sailing jargon, it's easy enough to google for the definitions :?

you've inspired me to pull my finger out and finish setting up various cleats & blocks on my revo!
'Be yourself - everyone else is taken"
mattmoki

Kayak: Feelfree Gemini - Hobie Revolution 13

Next

Return to Main