Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

SWR, I Survived A Head With A 38m Flybridge,

37K views 137 replies 75 participants last post by  MrX 
#1 ·
I am the luckiest man alive, after being run down by a 38m Mariner Flybridge doing over 20 knots on its way from Sydney to the Gold Coast on Friday at SWR,
We had just finished watching Couta hook up on a good size fish at about 1km out from the Jail House, we were on the way back in from out wide.
Grant pointed out to me a boat approaching on my left from the south,
We turned to left to run parallel to it thinking there would be plenty of room between us
Grant Ashwell was 20m behind me and Steven [Couta] was another 20m behind Grant,
When It was about 100m out from us we new it was traveling very fast and a lot closer that we would have liked, but still room to miss us by about 30m and of course he would see us and turn away any minute now,
Then all of a sudden it turned in on me it was only 30m away at this stage,
Holy Shit this thing is coming straight for me,
I could see the skipper in the Flybridge with his head down he didn't see us,
Grant was yelling from behind look out he can't see us,
Then it dawned on me I was going to die any seconds now,
Then just before the impact I rolled to the left out of the Kayak, it was instinct,
We hit head on,
I could feel myself shoot straight under the boat thinking the props are going to get me any second now, then bang It was like I was in a big washing machine and then I popped up,
The first thing I did was looked down to see if I was all there, I couldn't believe my luck
I looked over to see my yak which had a big holes carved in it from the prop but was still floating at one end so hung on until they picked me up,
The skipper offered me a change of cloths, food, water, beer,he was still a bit stunned with what had happened,
He said the boat was on autopilot and the boat will turn from side to side in a bit of swell,
It was like playing Russian Roulette which way was it going to turn,
They dropped me and the yak off at the nearest port which was Coffs Harbour, 2 hours away,
Clive, Steven and Dan were kind enough to drive there to pick me up and head back to camp, Thank Guys,
Grant told me later that he was only 2m from going under him self before the boat stopped,
I want to thank Josh [Yakabbout] for helping out with a Red Hobie Adventure to get me out on the water again,

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Stu, glad you are alive, mate. You couldn't have had better people around you and supporting you.
To the rest of us...now is the time to carefully think what safety equipment we carry with us. We never think it will happen to us, but this incident proves otherwise. I think we have to start thinking along the lines that "if something is going to happen, then it probably will".
Let's all make sure we have the right equipment to avoid this happening again to any of us.
Very close call.....very close :( :(
Cheers

#6 ·
Thats pretty bloody scary! Boats shouldnt have autopilot! :lol:

Glad to hear you're alright. Sorry to hear you lost your yak, them props make a bit of a mess of the hull. Good on Josh for helpin with the Adventure.

Take it easy out there everyone!

Dan

#10 ·
Boats, perfect transport for blind people. What the hell is it that people can not keep watch where their instrument of death is heading? If you did this on the road, you'd never be allowed to drive again. Good result for staying alive Stu.

Probably a ferry pilot on a busman's holiday.

#11 ·
unbelievable but unfortunately believable.

in qld it is THE LAW that all incidents , even minor have to be reported to marine safety queensland who then investigate.they have a form available on their website. dont know about NSW

looking at that kayak , this is far from minor.

very lucky boy, must have much good karma.

hopefully your anchor rope fouled his prop and blew his engine up.

pete

#12 ·
This freak turn of events could have turned out very differently. You fellas did everything right and still came millimetres from death. Glad you're OK Stu and it was good to see you jump back on the yak. In terms of amazing good fortune, this year at SWR really delivered.

Also, Thanks heaps to Josh (yak.a.ss) for confirming and arranging the loan Hobie Adventure for Stu at such short notice. He ran through absolute hoops to get a loan yak for Stu and ensured this was confirmed by the time I got to Coffs to help lift Stu's spirits. Cheers Josh, I really appreciate what you did. ;-)

#14 ·
Heard about this last night, and first reaction was 'how the hell did you not get sliced to pieces?". I'm so glad you are OK.

Its worrying to think that you guys saw the boat coming yet it swerved to hit you. Perhaps they were japanese whalers on holidays and mistook you for anti whaling boats? ;-) :shock: :? :lol: :twisted:

After the initial shock is over I'd ensure that you report this to the relevant authorities (NSW MAritime and also local SWR police) - I'm assuming you got the boat owners details? A freak (but totally preventable) accident for sure, but something that should have never happened, and the driver of that boat needs to be held fully accountable, as 6 inches to the left or ight and you'd be dead. As a last resort and if no action gets taken, contact the media and show them your mangled yak - that'll get their attention.

From where you were sitting (directly in the firing line) i bet you had a few 'holy shit' moments...

Again, so glad you are OK. let us (AKFF mods/admin) know if we can assist with anything

#15 ·
Now that was close, glad that you appear to be physically ok Stu, Grant and Steven, shaken, not stirred.

For your own sake, both now and for the future, I hope you have had yourself checked out medically, and reported the incident to the police and marine safety, this is serious and needs further investigation. There is no way that any mode of powered transport either on or off the water should have an auto pilot that will allow the operator to not be in control and watching where that machine is going.

It is moments like this, that drives the nail home as to just how vulnerable we are out there on the water and just how important the right safety equipment really is. As much as I hate rules and regulation, I often think that as the popularity grows in this sport so do the dangers, yet we have no national or state body to help self control a national set of regulations and safety training schemes, better us who understand than the bureaucrats that do not, make the rules, and also start a national campaign to help boat/jetski owners understand we are out there as well and not always easy to see.

I would also like to thank Josh Yakass for his prompt selfless act in obtaining a kayak for you, and the people who supplied it, a very kind act on your behalf and a sign of decency and humanity (shame how we lose active knowledgeable members like that)
my friend.

Anyway I have rambled enough, glad you guys are in one piece (even if the kayak isn't) and stay safe on the water my brothers and sisters.

#16 ·
Stu just read of your SWR encounter and glad it all turned out OK for yourself mate even if the yak suffered.

Davey G said:
Its worrying to think that you guys saw the boat coming yet it swerved to hit you.
Dave when a boat is on auto pilot it constantly alters course as it is hit by waves etc to just holds an average heading and perhaps that is the cause of change in heading.

Trawlers often travel on auto with all the crew asleep :shock:

#18 ·
Good grief!

Good job you rolled out. If that happened to me, I think my aversion to getting in the water would get me killed. "Sort of like choosing whether or not to use a parachute, when you are only at 150ft." :shock:

Glad you are not hurt. The yak looks ready for chopping up into pellets for making new yaks, not much good for anything else!

Cheers Andybear :D :D

#20 ·
Grant and Steven rang the Police in the first 5 min to report the incident, and the Maritime Water Police took a Statement and filled out a Vessel Incident report when we arrived at Coffs Harbour,
The skipper rang me to check on my well being on his arrival at the Gold Coast the next day,
I am meeting up with him today to arrange replacement of all damaged gear,
So all is Cool at this stage,
Thank you All for all your support and best wishes,
Thanks Josh again for all your support with the kayak, and my buddy's Steven, Dan, Clive, Garry and Tony who were all there on the trip with me,

At first I wasn't going to say to much in the media because of what has happened in South Australia,
We don't want to be banded from fishing off shore in NSW OR QLD from kayaks, I love it to much,

But looking at the big picture this is a timely warning to have a good hard look at what other things we can do to avoid this happening again,
I can't Highlight enough high vis Flags and Clothes,which we did have on,
A VHF radio may have helped, but by the time we realized he could not see us it was to late,
You may think you can move out of the way but at that speed at close range it is imposable,
Looking at it now we should not have changed our original course a direct line to shore and it would have passed behind us, The 3 of us are all experienced off shore fishermen and instinctively turned to the left to give plenty of clearance between us and the boat, it can be very deceiving at times,
Take care and don't take for granted the boat can see you,

#21 ·
That is one scary tale :shock: You are so very lucky to have escaped uninjured and thankfully your instincts were spot on.
Buy yourself a lottery ticket or two.
I don't know if there is much you can do to make yourself more visible if the skipper isn't looking - but are boats with autopilots fitted with some sort of alarm or radar that picks up vessels ahead ? If that were the case, then maybe there's some electronic gadget that makes a small kayak, give off the electronic image of a much larger vessel ?

Hope you get over the shock and can continue to enjoy the fishing.

#22 ·
Stu, nothing to say mate but good on you for getting back out into the blue and again well done to the lads that supported your recovery and indeed return to the water. I used to be a believer in 'shit happens' but I am more of a believer in responsibility and ownership. The skipper needs to compensate you for your loss ( in the states hebwould also be compensating you for fear incurred etc which ia a whole lot more than just a yak & gear) as well as learn from what seems to be a huge mistake. Am keen to hear what resolution is reached. This bloody sensational hobbie seems to be becomming more of an extreeme sport as each day goes by. If I send you a couple of bucks would you buy a lotto ticket for me?

All the best.

Pp

#24 ·
danfish said:
Thats pretty bloody scary! Boats shouldnt have autopilot! :lol:

Glad to hear you're alright. Sorry to hear you lost your yak, them props make a bit of a mess of the hull. Good on Josh for helpin with the Adventure.

Take it easy out there everyone!

Dan
I would have to agree to disagree on that one Dan. I had autopilot on my 36 footer and it was great but, I used it more like a cruise control. I was always looking ahead. You can't afford not to. Fish traps, submerged shipping containers, longliner's set lines etc... . Most of the time I was far enough offshore to avoid kayakers. The fact that this guy wasn't looking where he was going is, in my opinion, sheer neglegence. He should be charged as such.

#25 ·
Stu just heard about it , thank God your OK mate , what a terrible thing to have to go through , gee i dont know what to say mate just shocked , so glad your alright

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.