Looking for Trolley wheels, give your thoughts/insite

This is the main discussion forum.

Looking for Trolley wheels, give your thoughts/insite

Postby ELM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I have been looking to improve on my trolley wheels (finding it hard pulling kayak through some of the beaches), also concidering opening up the wheel track a bit (still a little pi##ed off after tipping over my kayak and smashing rod, anchor light etc coming down ramp at Sunnyside). Anyway been hitting Google trying to find some wide balloon style wheels tyres that may suit, at first all I found were wheelbarrow wheels and the normal trolley wheels we are all use to, then I found some kite surf/buggy sites where I found these suckers,
peterlynnbigfootasymmetrica.jpg

Peter Lynn Bigfoot Asymmetric Wheels are supplied with Vredestein tyres and tubes come complete with 20mm sealed Bearings.
Tyre Size: 21 / 12-8"

Emailed for a price on a pair, $325 delivered to Melbourne from Newcastle.
Way more than I would like to spend, but I recon they would be crackers in the sand and the asymmetric wheels would widen the track on the trolley, My trolley scupper rods come through the deck a fair way so if I can pack under them I might get enough clearence????? Have to go out and do some measurements.

Just curious have any of you seen these wheels in the flesh, I have not, only the pictures. What are they like would they be worth the expence?
Has anyone else had the same problems as me, if so, how have you gotten around it????
Do you know of other wheels tyres that would suit, eg sealed bearings, plastic rims, able to acheive a wide tyre footprint on sand instead of sinking, for less $$$.

Share your wealth of knowledge.

By the way, in no way am I affiliated.
Happy sailing/fishing
Eddie
ELM
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island - a yellow one

Re: Looking for Trolley wheels, give your thoughts/insite

Postby Astro » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 pm

what about the hobie heavy duty wheels?
Cheers
Kayak Fishing Correspondent http://...........com.au
Astro
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie AI

Postby wongus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Elm,

You can get the wide tyres from golf buggies that works a treat in sand...

This one is work in progress but I've used it in sand a few times without issues.

yak trolley.jpg
Cheers
Danny

Yak PB's: Bream 40cm, Whiting 37cm; Flounder 29cm, Tailor 38cm, Saratoga 45 (approx.), Flathead 48cm, Bass 56cm, Yellowbelly 54cm, Estuary Cod 55cm, Snapper 70cm, Mack Tuna 73cm, Spotty Mack 72cm, Shark (Black Tip Reef) 92cm, Squid (hood) 50cm.
wongus
Veteran Member

Kayak: Perception Swing + Hobie Quest

Postby seasquarie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:10 pm

Swallow your pride buddy and scour the tip - golf buggy with phat wheels@$5 and perfect for the sand! Oh...you did swallow your pride apparently, Movember you say?? Good cause anyhoo. Be careful of your clearance when setting up your new wheels as far as carrying them on you yak while fishing - I buggered that one up! :?
seasquarie
Valued Member

Kayak: hobie outback fish x2

Postby ELM » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:20 pm

I am currently using the same wheels as these,
e74e_1.JPG
e74e_1.JPG (7.87 KiB) Viewed 2228 times

Some of the beaches I use I have trouble, adding scuba gear will not help, so trying to find something with a wider footprint.
Happy sailing/fishing
Eddie
ELM
Elite Member

Postby SgtWilson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:47 pm

G'day Elm,

I was into kite buggying some years ago and I know that those Peter Lynn Bigfoot wheels are extermely tough and well made, excellent quality. Purpose built for kite buggying on sandy beaches. They would certainly do the job and last a lifetime just doing service on a yak trolley. From memory they also did an even more expensive 'alloy' set for kite buggies.

Probably a tad overkill for a yak trolley though.

Cheers,

Paul. :)

PS, Just on Kite Buggies, Anyone else here tried it? It's bloody awesome fun! :D :D
SgtWilson
Valued Member

Kayak: Mirage 580 + Heritage Featherlite 14

Postby ELM » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Paul, do you think the sealed bearings would be ok? Going in salt water as aposed to being on a beach.
Comming from the sport, is that price reasonable for these wheels, or could I find them cheaper somewhere?
Are there any sites I might find second hand ones that you know?
Sorry about all the questions.
Happy sailing/fishing
Eddie
ELM
Elite Member

Postby Junglefisher » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Cheers
Craig

Sooty grunter Tarpon Jungle Perch Jack Aust. Grayling Coral Trout Barra Longtom Cobbler Brown trout Atl. Salmon Rainbow Trout Spangled emperor Estuary cod Flathead Snapper Murray Cod Mack Yella Whiting Pike Walleye Artic Greyling Snapper
Junglefisher
Legendary Member

Kayak: Revo Finn X-press Outfitter Gizmo Pelican

Postby zipper » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:07 pm

the beach wheels on that site look just like the hobie trax wheels (atleast i think they are called trax) maybe its worth giving that a shot?
also how pumped up are your tires on your trolley?
i saw a sign that said watch for children. sounds like a fair trade.
zipper
Elite Member

Kayak: boogie board

Postby GeoffC » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:07 pm

StevenM wrote:You dont even have to scrounge the tip, I went to a golf warehouse and picked them up new for 15 bucks for a pair.

Gee that's cheap. I bought a pair of wheels with inflatable tyres, metal rims with steel bearings at Super Crap Auto, for $13 each I think. They have a 26 cm OD. I know they will rust out, but I do rinse them pretty well. Managed to get them onto the Hobie frame, cause the hard Hobie wheels are no good in sand, and the soft Hobie wheels are way too expensive for me.

http://www.wheeleez.com/ Jup thats looks like a top site. Would be good to find an Aus distributor. Ah ha, found it: http://www.beachwheelsaustralia.com/

But his prices really make your toes curl. Double the USA. And add freight.

Image $139 AUS for the 30 cm (12 inch) wheel which is US$66 on the USA site if I am correct. Now that's starting to make those kite wheels look cheap, or are they also the same size? I can't figure if they are 21 cm? What the heck does: Tyre Size: 21 / 12-8" mean?

Image Now thats a 49 cm wheel, but its $189 each (US$124 ea), or $378 PLUS freight for a pair.

Geoff.
Last edited by GeoffC on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 13 times in total.
GeoffC

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Postby SgtWilson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:28 pm

ELM wrote:Hi Paul, do you think the sealed bearings would be ok? Going in salt water as aposed to being on a beach.
Comming from the sport, is that price reasonable for these wheels, or could I find them cheaper somewhere?

Hi Elm,

Hmmm, it's been about 9 years since I got out of buggying.

I did a quick search and looks like the place I used to get my gear from has long since folded. There are many more buggy manufacturers (and kite dealers) around now that I've never heard of. I'm way out of touch, but I know those wheels you found are excellent. They float and are made to withstand salt water.

I see they have a buy and sell section here; http://www.extremekites.com.au/

Still really think it's an expensive fix to the problem though.

Arggh!!! Your starting to re-kindle my interest in kites!!! Wonder if I could power my yak with a power kite ??? :D :D :D

Cheers,

Paul.
SgtWilson
Valued Member

Kayak: Mirage 580 + Heritage Featherlite 14

Postby bilby » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Elm,
Bilby here mate, why not use the hobie trax wheels, retail approx $150. You could widen the track by fitting a wider axle and then bending the tube back to the original width for the scupper holes. I was thinking of doing this to mine after a few hairy moments down the same bloody ramp at sunnyside, the hobie trax wheels are grouse in the sand, but the weight of your adventure island might be too heavy, check with Scott.
Cheers mate, see you out there soon.
Bill.
"Work sucks, lets go fishing"
bilby
Veteran Member

Kayak: 2012 Outback

Postby ELM » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi all thanks for your input,
Astro wrote:what about the hobie heavy duty wheels?

Astro, They are what I have now.
wongus wrote:Elm,

You can get the wide tyres from golf buggies that works a treat in sand...

This one is work in progress but I've used it in sand a few times without issues.

yak trolley.jpg

StevenM wrote:300 bucks for wheels

noooo way

the hybrid soft / hard golf buggy whels do the job.

You dont even have to scrounge the tip, I went to a golf warehouse and picked them up new for 15 bucks for a pair.

StevenM/Wongus, I dont want to pay that amount of money out, and intend to keep looking for options. I have looked at golf buggy wheels and am not convinced they will support an AI with scuba gear on the back + the ones I have seen, have a narrower footprint and are hard, there for will sink even more I think.
Junglefisher wrote:Worth a look?
http://www.wheeleez.com/

Junglefisher, I have since looked at that site thanks. They have some good options however expencive also,
GeoffC wrote:
StevenM wrote:You dont even have to scrounge the tip, I went to a golf warehouse and picked them up new for 15 bucks for a pair.

Gee that's cheap. I bought a pair of wheels with inflatable tyres, metal rims with steel bearings at Super Crap Auto, for $13 each I think. They have a 26 cm OD. I know they will rust out, but I do rinse them pretty well. Managed to get them onto the Hobie frame, cause the hard Hobie wheels are no good in sand, and the soft Hobie wheels are way too expensive for me.

http://www.wheeleez.com/ Jup thats looks like a top site. Would be good to find an Aus distributor. Ah ha, found it: http://www.beachwheelsaustralia.com/

But his prices really make your toes curl. Double the USA. And add freight.

Image $139 AUS for the 30 cm (12 inch) wheel which is US$66 on the USA site if I am correct. Now that's starting to make those kite wheels look cheap, or are they also the same size? I can't figure if they are 21 cm? What the heck does: Tyre Size: 21 / 12-8" mean?

Image Now thats a 49 cm wheel, but its $189 each (US$124 ea), or $378 PLUS freight for a pair.

Geoff.
by time you get them here also do not have Aust shipping from what I could see (might be wrong there).
Geoff, Thanks for the link, but like you said anough too make your toe's curl. 21 / 12-8 I have been woundering the same thing until I saw some today (BIG). Hobie Vic have some (different brand) for catamaran trolley, as SgtWilson has mentioned, would last a life time but also overkill (huge). Tyre 21"tall, Rim 12"Wide 8" OD. I will be looking for some thing smaller than that and will chek out super cheap.
SgtWilson wrote:
ELM wrote:Hi Paul, do you think the sealed bearings would be ok? Going in salt water as aposed to being on a beach.

Hi Elm,

Hmmm, it's been about 9 years since I got out of buggying.

I did a quick search and looks like the place I used to get my gear from has long since folded. There are many more buggy manufacturers (and kite dealers) around now that I've never heard of. I'm way out of touch, but I know those wheels you found are excellent. They float and are made to withstand salt water.

I see they have a buy and sell section here; http://www.extremekites.com.au/

Still really think it's an expensive fix to the problem though.

Arggh!!! Your starting to re-kindle my interest in kites!!! Wonder if I could power my yak with a power kite ??? :D :D :D

Cheers,

Paul.

Steven, I see what you mean by overkill. Saw some today, would make the AI look like a monster truck :lol: :lol: .
bilby wrote:Hi Elm,
Bilby here mate, why not use the hobie trax wheels, retail approx $150. You could widen the track by fitting a wider axle and then bending the tube back to the original width for the scupper holes. I was thinking of doing this to mine after a few hairy moments down the same bloody ramp at sunnyside, the hobie trax wheels are grouse in the sand, but the weight of your adventure island might be too heavy, check with Scott.
Cheers mate, see you out there soon.
Bill.

Bill, Whem I first got the AI I was advised not to ge the Trax wheels as thay pop of the rims with extra weight (scuba gear). Talked to Scott today about it while fitting rudder upgrade, and he confermed that info. I will keep looking for a while. I may try again in the morning off sunnyside about 5.30 (weather dependant), would be good to catch up again on the water.
Happy sailing/fishing
Eddie
ELM
Elite Member

Postby varp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:23 am

I've got a C-TUG and think it's the ducks guts. I had made 2 DIY trolleys and pride myself on being a bit handy, but I should have saved on the heartbreak and just ponied up the readies in the first place. $200 - end of story.

Robust construction, excellent design and it would handle the weight no probs. Not used it on a Hobie though I can't see why it wouldn't work.

http://www.c-tug.com/

:D
varp
Elite Member

Kayak: gumboot

Postby GeoffC » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:31 am

ELM wrote: I will be looking for some thing smaller than that and will chek out super cheap.

I should point out that I needed a plastic sleeve to get the Super Cheap Auto tyres/hub to fit onto the Hobie frame axle, but I have been very happy with them, even across the beach. Obviously a wider/bigger tyre would be good, but the standard Hobie AI frame does not allow much space for a bigger tyre than what I fitted.

However, I suspect if you throw in scuba gear, that may be hard going in soft sand. I still pull hard in uneven soft sand. So it could be better. I suspect my solution is not a lot better than the standard large Hobie wheels, but its certainly cheaper.

What we really need is a different frame, and one with more clearance, so we can fit a substantially bigger and wider tyre. But I store mine on the back of the AI when sailing, and way bigger is going to cause me to have to leave the frame on the beach. Which is ok if you are returning to the same spot. (And no body nicks it)

Here's a few photos:

The tyres are marked 4.10/3.50 - 4
It appears to be a 4 inch ID, and a 10 inch OD and a 3 inch width.

Geoff.
Last edited by GeoffC on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
GeoffC

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Next

Return to Main