Kayak and Fishing Forum banner

QLD - Ahoi hoi from FNQ

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  gonetroppo 
#1 ·
G'Day all avid yakkerators.

I have recently moved to a quaint funky town in far north Queensland for work. A long time passionate/obsessive angular with a keen scene of adventure, so I definitely arrived in the right place. I recently acquired a sexy Ocean Prowler Ultra 4.7 a few days ago and yet to christen it with the tranquillity of the Coral Sea. Fingers and duodenums crossed, I'll be able to sample the fruits the tropical waters have to offer; Pelagics, Reef dwelling aquatic forna (and European backpackers). However I am aware of the giant lizards (with jaws that could crush an orbiting satellite) that inhabit the estuarine systems. This has aided in the creation of the third golden rule of kayak fishing; "Though shall not frequent a dinosaur infested river system on floating plastic thingy".

On second ponderings, everything in the water up here can kill, mane and or render you therapy bound. With the likes of crocodiles with the power to tare off your face with one sneeze, sharks so cunning they eviscerate while you shower, jellyfish (who must not be named) will cause intractable burning pain making you wish that the neurological and cardiac toxins would kill you faster than the usual minute and a half, octopi and conefish that cause suffocation through paralysis, and stingrays with a sense of irony. Also, if you are manage to avoid all Heidi's works of art and catch a fish then devour it, there is a 98.748% chance of ciguatera poisoning. With no antidote, one will firstly have a slight buzz, followed by tingling lips, a warm feeling on the inside, and then SPONTANIOUSLY COMBUST taking out dwellings within the 200m blast radius.

I can't wait to go fishing.

If you have survived an angling outing up here, I would gladly appreciate tales from the sea (good spots to wet a line). I also look forward to provide an in detail, play by play, breath by breath account of my yakkerating fishing adventures.

Look forward to forumming with y'all now.

:)

See less See more
#4 ·
"Though shall not frequent a dinosaur infested river system on floating plastic thingy".
That's a good signature quote. Glad I don't need it.

Pretty descriptive writing style. Look forward to reports.

Welcome and btw, nice username.
chum = burly/berley where I come from.

#5 ·
Welcome chum, a very nice spot Mossman! My mums family is from there and although a long time ago I have fond memories of the gorge up there. Looking forward to reading some of your trip reports.

#6 ·
Looking forward to some great reports based on your entertaining intro.
I too am considering a move north and have been pondering the impact of those giant lizards of which you speak.

Have fun and stay safe or at least don't get eated. ;-)

#8 ·
Well thanks for the open arms and warm welcomes.

And you are all right, it is a spectacular part of the world but it is so gosh darn wet at the moment (It's wetter than a spring-break's wet t-shirt comp).

I however got out for a paddle just around Port Douglas headland. Trolled a shallow diving minnow and a popper with, wait for it.... nothing. Not even sea weed. Spooked by a turtle, I returned to shore after an hour. Awoke eagerly two sunrises back to back but it was blowing 20-25 knots ESE, so the pilchards stayed solid.

Mr. Troppo I will keep you in touch of some hot spots when I come across them. There is a nice reef off Rocky Point but unfortunately there is a 3M reptile taking local dogs. I will be staying away from there.

Thanks again everyone.

#10 ·
Thank God another local at last.
You can always take a trip up the hill and try fishing in the big bucket of drinking water called Tinaroo.
We don't got no "short leg, long tail underwater pigdogs" up here. (yet) :D

Steve

#13 ·
I never caught anything worthwhile in Tinaroo. Easy to get 40+ redclaw a night, but barra? I got busted off once on bait and that was it.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Barrabundy,
I have to deal with those lizards enough at work , I don't want it to encroach on the leasure time as well.

Goneroppo,
The secret is make sure your line is in the water and the beers cold. Use the yak as the float and...... (maybe just try up the Baron arm past the boat ramp near Lavender Hill B&B.) Just spent the weekend (after Easter) at Kauri Creek - an excellent weekend and the second youngest (7) caught his first fish. "Mouth Almighty"
Ashton's first Fish.JPG

I should have used them as live bait but was feeling too relaxed...

Junglefisher,
Your right about that I've heard Tinaroo is one of the hardest dams to catch anything in.
But I'm willing to try.
I have yet to finish getting the yak up to a presentable state but I'll fish on a plank of wood if necessary.(only two flushmount rod holders away from a standard paddle yak - it's a slow process)

Cheers guys.
Steve.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.