47cm flathead Brunswick River Mullumbimby

Go on then, tell us how you went...

47cm flathead Brunswick River Mullumbimby

Postby mullumbimbyakker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm

lizzard.jpg

Took a paddle down the Brunswick River after work today. I don't drive, so I hauled my rig over 2km on foot to the Leagues Club by the river and paddled to kings creek, trolling 2 x lures. Not a bump until I returned to within 300m of the launch site. One cast and then bzzzzzzz! Angry little 47cm flathead boated swiftly! 50cm water, 28 deg/c, gold and black shallow diving minnow. Almost wasn't going to have another cast too.

I need to find a solution for handling these spiky little fellas. I now keep an old leather gardening glove (left) for sticking my thumb in the raspy mouth. Tried brain spiking him, but must have missed. Any bright ideas on handling lizards at close quarters?
mullumbimbyakker

Re: 47cm flathead Brunswick River Mullumbimby

Postby rob316 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 pm

throw a wet towel over them - pick them up around the body with hand wrapped around so that thumb is on top and index finger is near the rectum :shock: - this settles them....and supports the weight of the body so they are looked after.. :) ..never been spiked , and i nearly always use this technique ;-)
FISH FOR THE THRILL....NOT THE KILL
rob316
Elite Member

Kayak: this week a 4.1 elite on fire

Postby grinner » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:43 pm

mate the little spikes actually go thru gloves. the ones around 30 to 40 cm are usually the worst performers. like rob said grab em round the poop shute with the thumb and push their spines on the back down with the fingers.
trying to get the camera out is when i always get stung
cheers pete
grinner
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: hobie revo

Postby mullumbimbyakker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks mate. I have started to specifically target flatties in the river here now, as I won't eat bream (which are easy to deal with) from this system. And I seem to be catching a few too. Any clues as where to brain spike them?
mullumbimbyakker

Postby rob316 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 pm

about 1/2 inch back from the eyes , in the middle , on a 45degree angle - got to hit them hard and precise - otherwise you just make a mess and agonise the fish.....i always place them in a keeper net , lay them in the back well and still cover with a wet towel - keep wtting towel every 30 odd minutes in summer....
rob316
Elite Member

Postby Nativeman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:40 pm

I just out a glove on and grab them in the gob, simple :D

Cheers
AKFF is totally ....
Nativeman
Legendary Member

Kayak: ...

Postby Gigantor » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Hey Mullumbimbyakker,

Great catch there. Well done.

Re handling flathead safely. Suggest you look to purchase a lip gripper. Silstar and Berkley have a good offerings in this department for only $20 or so. Well worth the investment. These have saved me countless times from getting spiked. They make removing the lures/hooks so much easier and also keep the stress to a minimum for the fish - particularly if you intend to release the fish.

Good fishing to ya.

Cheers,

Pete
- Hobie Outback 2012 (Lowrance Elite-4x DSI Sounder)
- Hobie Oasis 2012 (Eagle Cuda 300 Sounder)
Gigantor
Veteran Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback 2012 and Hobie Oasis 2012

Postby rob316 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:18 pm

pete - my opinion and experience is that unless you have a really high quality set of grippers , that they do great damage to flathead - their jaw rips really easily , especially if they thrash a little.....snapper and other species along those lines have a much tougher / bony jaw , but the flatty jaw has alot of soft area and the lippers just tear holes in them....i can't tell anyone what to do or how to handle fish - but my recemondation is to definately not use lip grippers on flatty...handle them properly and you will be fine.... ;-)

get a good environet - a proper one - net your catch , wet towel the fish , handle it properley , use long nose pliers to retrieve hook / lure , bag or release fish !
rob316
Elite Member

Return to Trip Reports