DIY Hobie sail-furler

DIY Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

DIY Hobie sail-furler

Postby mingle » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm

I chose to go with a design that spins the sail on the mast, since they seem to be the simplest and most popular.

I purchased all of the necessary PVC parts from my local Bunnings.

The main parts I used for the furler assembly are a length of 25mm PVC water pipe and two 40mm to 25mm reducer bushes.

An additional modification I made was to also add two 25mm PVC electrical conduit couplings which fit
perfectly inside the 25mm PVC water pipe (one inside each end):

furler_parts.jpg

The 25mm couplings have an internal diameter of about 21mm, which fits perfectly around the sail mast.
This makes the furler spin much more smoothly around the mast than some of the other designs that used
a larger diameter hole in the main furler - these tend to rattle and wobble a bit when spinning.

furler_reducer.jpg

The only downside of using the 25mm pipe (over, say 32mm or 40mm) is that the furling rope can't go
inside the pipe, like a lot of other designs, since there's not much space left around the mast. I
tried it, but couldn't get it to spin properly, as the rope would interfere with the rotation of the
furler.

Instead, I drilled an angled 5mm hole in the edge of the 40-25mm reducer (a slightly tricky process!)
then I threaded the furling rope through and melted the end to ensure it couldn't pull out. I also doused
it liberally with super-glue, just to make sure:

furler_base.jpg

I did the same to the rope at the top of the furler - this is the rope that attaches the furler to the
eyelet at the base of the sail:

furler_top.jpg

I experimented and mucked around with various clips and other devices to attach the rope to the sail,
but in the end threading the rope through the eyelet and tying and simple knot was the quickest and
most convenient method:

sail_knot.jpg

When I set the sail and furler up, I thread the furling line and the mainsheet through their various
blocks and cleats and tie a simple knot in the end of each line to prevent them from pulling through
the cleats if something unexpected happens:

sail_lines.jpg

The sail is tightly furled and held in place with a short length of 6mm bungee. I then attach the mainsheet
to the sail bungee:

sail_main.jpg

At this point the furler is 'empty' and the line locked in place by the cam cleat:

furler_empty.jpg

This is typically how you'd set up the boat before hitting the water. Once you're ready to use the sail,
simply uncleat the furling line and pull the mainsheet (keeping some tension on the furling line as the
sail unfurls) until the sail is fully out:

sail_out.jpg

The furling line will gradually wrap itself around the furler as the sail is unfurled. From fully furled to
unfurled wraps 74cm of line around the furler:

furler_full.jpg

To furl the sail, you simply uncleat the mainsheet and furling line, then pull the furling line with one hand,
while maintaining a bit of tension on the mainsheet with the other.

Here's a quick video showing how it all works:

Cheers,

Mike.
Last edited by mingle on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
PB (roadkills): fox 85cm, rabbit 32cm, dove 26cm, dragonfly 11cm, mega-moth 9cm, hippy 195cm
mingle
Legendary Member

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Re: DIY Hobie sail-furler

Postby johnH » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:07 pm

Nice, neat and well presented mod. It looks 100% better than the one I made for my outback. Thanks for posting.
johnH
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie AI + Hobie Outfitter

Postby SurfanFish » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:07 am

Nice work Mike. Like it.

If common sense was common, there would be more of it!
SurfanFish
Elite Member

Kayak: dorado espri

Postby mingle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

After a slightly hair-raising experience in the middle of a very windy and lumpy Westernport, where the mainsheet became detached from the sail
I'm going to replace the plastic-clip that attaches the mainsheet to the sail bungee with something a bit more substantial and (hopefully) more reliable.
PB (roadkills): fox 85cm, rabbit 32cm, dove 26cm, dragonfly 11cm, mega-moth 9cm, hippy 195cm
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby bertros » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 pm

mingle wrote:After a slightly hair-raising experience in the middle of a very windy and lumpy Westernport, where the mainsheet became detached from the sail
I'm going to replace the plastic-clip that attaches the mainsheet to the sail bungee with something a bit more substantial and (hopefully) more reliable.

Failures aside, are you still happy with the way it's sailing Mike, particularly in strong winds? Been following your posts closely and still very keen to go down a very similar path.
cheers,
matt
Yak PB's: Australian Salmon - 70cm; Bream - 40cm; Bonito - 51cm; Estuary Perch - 32.5cm; Flathead - 57cm; Flounder - 27cm; Kingfish - 71cm; Snapper - 60cm; Squid - 34cm; Tailor - 50cm; Bigeye Trevally - 41cm; Silver Trevally - 34cm; Whiting - 39cm
bertros

Kayak: Hobie Revo 13 + AI

Postby mattmoki » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi Mingle - ok, I'm puzzled - why do you have the bungee between the mainsheet and the clew? (the bottom corner that the mainsheet attaches to). To my way of thinking you'd loose feel in the sail?

I just tie the mainsheet directly to the eye in the clew with a bowline.

I use my sail bungee to clip sail to the boat .. runs from the tack (bottom corner next to the mast) down to the ..ah .. little peg thing just below the mast step..

when the sail is furled, both the mast & the sail rotates, and the bungee can get caught in the furling line if you're not careful

which is a bit of a hassle .. but the bungee serve 2 purposes - it keeps the sail kit firmly attached to the boat, and it tensions the luff (the edge of the sail that runs down the mast. this enables the sail to keep it's idea shape ..

with the bungee on the mainsheet it seems to me that you'll have uncontrolled movement of the sail up & down the mast, as well as in & out horizontally .. so you're potentially loosing control of the shape ..?
I very much like yr roller furler - i made a scruffy short version with a wider pipe .. works ok, but I have fitted a block in the footwell so the furler line runs up to the furler at an angle (to avoid getting tangled up with the bungee when the sail is let out) so now it slips off and wraps around the mast. version 1.2 is called for!

oh bugger it, I'm going to have to take some photos aren't I? will do soon!
'Be yourself - everyone else is taken"
mattmoki

Kayak: Feelfree Gemini - Hobie Revolution 13

Postby mingle » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Bertros wrote:Failures aside, are you still happy with the way it's sailing Mike, particularly in strong winds? Been following your posts closely and still very keen to go down a very similar path.

Yep, I think it's going well. The extra buoyancy provided by the outriggers makes the Revo much more stable. I've been out in conditions that
I usually wouldn't attempt in the bare yak. The sail provides an extra dimension to the whole experience - I seem to find myself sailing more
and fishing less.

The only slight negative is that a big gust will almost bury the downwind float if you're not expecting it. It's not a huge issue, as the stability
is still good, even when the float is taking a dive. A couple of times I was in the middle of some pretty lumpy conditions, with wind against
tide and swell, plus boat-wakes added to the mix, and a big gust would hit the sail. The floats were all over the place (due to the waves) but
even though they were partially under water, I never felt like I'd be tipped.

I think it's a trade-off between buoyancy, practicality and efficiency. Bigger, longer floats would be certainly be more buoyant, but they'd
require a lot more mucking around to set up and they'd also create more drag.

The more times I got out, the more I'm getting used to the set-up. I'm pretty happy.

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby Thorby » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks Mike for all this detailed information. I am off to Bunnings today and intend to follow your set-up.
Thorby

Kayak: Cobra Navigator XF and Hobie Revo

Postby mingle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 am

Thorby wrote:Thanks Mike for all this detailed information. I am off to Bunnings today and intend to follow your set-up.

No worries... :-)

One thing you may have to do is file/sand a bit of the lower edge of the bottom 25-40mm reducer, as it will rub on the edge of the front hatch.

Have a look at the photo that shows the bottom of the furler and you'll see what I mean - I've added a couple of comment to the pic...

Also, before you glue it all together, check the amount/length of 25mm coupling you have sticking out of the 25 main tube. You want it to stick
out enough to make sure the 25-40mm reducer clears the front edge.

Any questions, just ask!

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby Kahuna » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for posting that Mike. Looks like a good setup.

Another project to be done on the kayak! :D

The outriggers you have, are they the standard Hobie issue?

Cheers,

Justin
Kahuna

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby mingle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Justin,

The outriggers are from Finn kayaks...

Have a look as this other thread - it goes into a bit more detail...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51480

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Legendary Member

Postby Thorby » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:32 am

Mike
Thanks for the extra bit of info. I will let you know how I go.
Neil
Thorby

Kayak: Cobra Navigator XF and Hobie Revo

Postby buttcrack » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info! Below is a link to how I installed my furler...

Cheers,
Andrew
Hammerhead Shark 200cm, Wahoo 123cm, Cobia 115cm, Kingfish 99cm, Mahi Mahi 92cm, Flathead 86cm, Taylor 82cm, Australian Salmon 79cm, Calamari Squid 73cm, Travelly 62cm, Snapper 58cm.
buttcrack

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Return to DIY General