Modifying the hobie wheels

DIY Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else

Modifying the hobie wheels

Postby hughmungus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Gday all, just wondering if anyone has modified the hobie wheels, ie made the axle longer so that you dont roll the yak at 4.30 in the morning with everything on board and snap the new ultra light while on route to the secret bass spot.
These wheels cant handle rugged conditions.The outback is way to wide for the wheels. Anyone else had this problem?
I'm looking at making a new wider axle set so the yak cant roll.
Any ideas peoples?
Cheers Gus
hughmungus

Kayak: Hobie outback

Re: Modifying the hobie wheels

Postby GeoffC » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Well I suspect that you could easily sell a heap of these if the price was fair. I have just pulled off the hard wheels and fitted two I bought at Supa Cheap Auto for about $13.00 each, inflatable. They will rust, but heck, its way in front of the prices for the soft Hobie wheels. But they could be wider in soft sand, or maybe I can try making them softer? And they aren't any more stable either. I am hauling an AI with its outriggers, so I suspect it could be worse, even though it won't roll over.

So if you had a frame that allowed us to fit some soft wheels that were a fair price, and maybe hard wheels for the times when the surface is hard, it looks a great idea.

Geoff.
GeoffC

Kayak: Hobie Adventure Island

Postby avayak » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:03 pm

I share your pain. Narrowly missed smashing the aerial on my GPS last week. I've been thinking if you could get hold of a longer length of the aluminium the same diameter as the tube between the wheels and stainless axle then you could outrig the wheels.
Double the length of the existing aluminium tube, drill a cross hole in the tube to align with the existing hole in the S/S axle and fit a pin (this would hold the tube in place and form a stop for in inboard side of the wheel). Slip on the wheel and drill another cross hole to take the standard Hobie pin (this would form the stop on the outboard side, same as existing).

Does that make sense? I have not tried it yet but it should work in theory. There may be a risk of bending the S/S axle with the extra bending moment. Still I'd rather bend an axle than smash a rod.
Cheers Gary
Yak PB : 85cm kingfish, 54cm Tailor, 53 cm snapper, 60 cm Salmon, 60cm trev, 78 cm flattie.
avayak
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution [Ivory Dune] Evolution 465

Postby StevenM » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 am

hughmungus wrote:you dont roll the yak at 4.30 in the morning with everything on board and snap the new ultra light while on route to the secret bass spot.

Cheers Gus

:( :( :( :(

Gus I feel ya pain.

Yep the wheels are rather ordinary, esp with the wider OB's. I would look at getting something made rather than modify.
Proud member of

Restore the Balance
StevenM
Legendary Member

Kayak: One real Sexy Lady _ well 2

Postby Sparra » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:37 am

They are a pain but I store my wheels in the front of my outback as the rear holes for them are covered up with an esky...If I was to widen the frame the I don't think they would fit in.I guess this is not a problem I you leave the trolly with your vehicle but I'm to lazy to walk back so I have learnt to live with them and take it easy on the track to tthe water...
Cheers...Sparra
There is always someone doing it tougher than you...
Sparra
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie Revolution and Loving It

Postby bilby » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:13 pm

I have the pneumatic hobie wheels for my outback, i find it really stable if you don't go flat knacker, the trick is to keep the air pressure low.
Cheers.
"Work sucks, lets go fishing"
bilby
Veteran Member

Kayak: 2012 Outback

Postby Angles » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 am

I agree with Bilby and have only rolled the yak on the standard cart ( the missus has the standard cart) The soft wheels are both lower and wider which helps with stability 8) but the tradeoff is that you do require more back bend in rough terrain to stop grinding / bottomming out the yak on the Adventure. An extended wheel base width should solve your problems.
Angles - ya gotta work em
Angles
Valued Member

Kayak: Paddling Mrs Hobie at the moment

Postby varp » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:41 pm

They are shocking carts. I bought a C-TUG and the heartbreak ended.

:D
varp
Elite Member

Kayak: gumboot

Postby ua5qb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:37 pm

This is just a shot at solving the width problem, longer axle fitted to the existing axle with pipe clamps. Not particularly elelgant but simple and easy to do. Wayne
ua5qb

Kayak: Hobie Outback w-sail

Postby GeoffC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:22 am

I FOUND it. Thanks to someone who has a set of the Hobie Trax wheels. The Hobie Trax wheels are these ones:

Available for US$59 for two. But I think we have decided they are too small, 22 x 13cm (8.7x5”) and need a way to mount the bigger Wheeleez wheels to the Hobie frame.

But if anyone does not have really soft beach sand, they could easily strap this 75cm x 12.7mm axle directly to the standard Hobie frame, and gain a 30cm wider wheel stance, to solve some of the stability issues. Its certainly a plan for some folks, I would think. Could even mount four wheels on this axle.

Geoff.
Last edited by GeoffC on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
GeoffC

Postby GeoffC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:32 am

Now I think I have the final perfect plan:

This axle:
Costs US$32, and is 12.7mm (.50”) X 72.4cm (28.5”) stainless steel.

These lock nuts:
Costs US$10

These wheels:
30cm (11.8") PVC wheel; 1/2" bushing

US$52 each.

Total price US$146 plus postage to have a wider stance, with really big wheels. Might be able to simply fix this to the bottom of the Hobie frame, or worst case scenario, get some welding done to give more clearance under the AI for the bigger wheels.

Geoff
GeoffC

Postby griffo1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:38 pm

Very thought provoking... guys.

One location on Molly Mook Beach where we launch our Revos, is very good except we need to get down a dirt track ( about 40 mtrs and 40deg) which is always a bit steeper on the way back , then across about 40mtrs of sand.....also a bit tiring.

I like the idea of widening the wheel locations...it would be good but the problems I was experiencing was the weight of the Revo plus gear (and fish well thats the idea) appeared to be to much for the Trax Wheels and they started to pull instead of roll.
Buying bigger wheels from Wheeleez, and making andjustments would work but the extra $ may be negative.

Thinking aloud , and just a thought and puting cost to one side for a moment....I have a twin battery (2 x 7.2ahr) in my Revo to allow for lights, Sonar, nav and anchor light and a possible future motor......how about installing a light weight 12v motor (removable) to a floating axle, with extended wheels. Add a dolly wheel and let the motor do the work? You would only use the motor where the application requires it.

Its not as laughable as one might think.

Any thoughts? :D :D
Griffo

Chart your course
We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails..
griffo1

Kayak: Adventure Island - 2009 And Loving It.

Postby GeoffC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:56 pm

griffo1 wrote:Thinking aloud , and just a thought and puting cost to one side for a moment....I have a twin battery (2 x 7.2ahr) in my Revo to allow for lights, Sonar, nav and anchor light and a possible future motor......how about installing a light weight 12v motor (removable) to a floating axle, with extended wheels. Add a dolly wheel and let the motor do the work? You would only use the motor where the application requires it.

Its not as laughable as one might think.

Any thoughts? :D :D

Hi Griffo,

Sadly I think you will need a four wheel drive Kart, and that means four electric motors.

But I now think this Kart is the business for an AI:

But its US$229 plus shipping. Wheels are 11.8" X 7" from Wheeleez But it comes apart and will apparently fit into the kayak. The Hobie round hatch ID is just under 9", so it would have to stow in the front hatch.

From Wheeleez you can make up an axle, two tyres, and clips for about US$146 plus postage to have a wider stance, with really big wheels, in this case the same as above, 11.8 x 7". But that won't fold into a hatch. Or buy their cart for US$199, but its the strap on type.

Other than price, the KFS Kart looks the perfect solution for an AI. I think I will start saving.

Geoff.
GeoffC

Postby griffo1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 pm

Hey Geoff,

Your'e probably right...the electric drive is just a thought.

I brought a lot of gear from KFS earlier in the year. They quite often have a 20% off sale which makes these wheels ( and everything else) look a lot better....the unfortunate thing is the transport costs always seem to be high however, the more you buy the better the transport cost become. I understand the value needs to be below $1,000 I'm not sure if thats US or Aus dollars....before AusTax is charged...could be worth checking out.

All the best ;-)
Griffo

Chart your course
We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails..
griffo1

Kayak: Adventure Island - 2009 And Loving It.

Postby GeoffC » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 pm

griffo1 wrote:Hey Geoff,

They quite often have a 20% off sale which makes these wheels ( and everything else) look a lot better....the unfortunate thing is the transport costs always seem to be high however, the more you buy the better the transport cost become. I understand the value needs to be below $1,000 I'm not sure if thats US or Aus dollars....before AusTax is charged...could be worth checking out.

All the best ;-)

Thanks for that thought. I may be able to get someone else interested in that Kart, and if we bought two, that would save on transport, and at 20% off, US$183 or AUS$300 not quite so bad.

Geoff.
GeoffC

Next

Return to DIY General