I had a few hours to myself this afternoon so I thought I'd start installing my Echo 100 I bought recently from Dick Smith. I am still waiting for my battery to arrive, but I thought I'd get started with the rest of it. Thanks to the thoughtful folk at Ocean Kayak, the install was pretty easy, I didn't even have to drill any holes. I took the idea from the "fish finder ready" kit they sell for Humminbird FF's, and just made all of the components myself to suit the Garmin.
The first step was to cut down the transducer to fit in the transducer scupper without protruding out the bottom. I ended up cutting part of the outer edges near the mounting lugs and the front section down to fit.
The next step was to retain it in the kayak. I made up a brass block with an M5 hole in each end and another through the middle, which I screwed between the mounting lugs of the transducer. I cut a length of M5 threaded rod to the right length and screwed it into the brass block.
For the top (inside the cup holder) I used a hole saw to cut a hole in a chopping board the same size as the cup holder. I then used the plug from the hole saw as a large washer. I drilled an extra hole to run the cable through, secured the cable with a P clamp and bolted the transducer into place.
The transducer is well protected in the recess at the bottom of the scupper.
The next step was to remove the tackle box holder and plastic bung. I fitted a waterproof cable gland (had to enlarge the hole slightly) and ran the power cable inside the hull.
Next I wound up the excess transducer cable and secured it with cable ties it in the recess where the tackle box used to go.
I then cut the chopping board I had used earlier to the right size and drilled some holes for the FF mount and mounting holes, and screwed it all together.
I'm pretty happy with the install so far. I just hope it works once I hook the power up to it...
Last edited by mmmBEER
on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.