Light bream rods

Discuss fishing tackle related topics here.

Re: Light bream rods

Postby Bretto » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:12 am

Picked up a new bream stick last night. Went the 1-3kg Pflueger Trion. Man is it light.

I don't really like the reels out on the market at the moment (and by that I mean the price of them) as I'm more of a "wait till they start to run out the model before purchasing high quality gear type of guy", so the Ci4 1000FML which keeps being recommended to me can wait till late next year. However, I did need something to run on this stick so I went for the budget Shimano Aernos 1000FA (aesthetically the poor mans Ci4 :lol: ). It'll do the job for me I'm sure and it didn't break the bank. Plus it hasn't been panned in reviews which is always nice, yet not completely conclusive.
Cheers,
Bretto
Bretto
Elite Member

Kayak: Dust Collectors

Postby BIGKEV » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:19 am

What sort of budget are you looking at?

I have a 1-3kg mexican fire raider and have no hesitation in recommending these rods, they are also good value for money at around $100-$140, a shimano product too.

Kev
Mod Edit
BIGKEV
Legendary Member

Kayak: Profish+Nemo+Stealth Evo 495 - Blue Bagger

Postby punchanello » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Scrap my recommendation on the Lox Yoshi.

For the second time in a year the tip has snapped with no real pressure at all. That brings my total graphite rods owned to 7 and tips snapped to 2. For a rod that feels this good, it certainly has a glass jaw. :?
punchanello
Valued Member

Kayak: Hobie Outback

Postby punchanello » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 pm

BigGee wrote:
punchanello wrote:Scrap my recommendation on the Lox Yoshi.

For the second time in a year the tip has snapped with no real pressure at all. That brings my total graphite rods owned to 7 and tips snapped to 2. For a rod that feels this good, it certainly has a glass jaw. :?

I have exactly the same combo and until a recent tournament I wanted to blow LOX up (no offence Stewie). Been through 2 tips myself. The first one was really my fault, treating it like a normal rod basically, then the second one just casting. The third one, my current one seems a little more survivable but it may be because I'm starting to treat it right. But should I have to I hear you saying!

I understand where manufacturers are coming from when they can't really be sure whether a break is as a result of misuse or product fault. But I have owned plenty of graphite rods of a similar weight rating and never had a tip break off until this one (twice).

Like I've said before, I think the rod design in itself is brilliant. I couldn't wait to pull it out of its travel case to use it on each occasion and plenty of people have used the same rod without issue. I just think I got a dud tbh.
punchanello
Valued Member

Postby grinner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Re rod tips breaking on graphite rods.

A very knowledgable shimano rep told me that they do sometimes make rods with a flaw or hot spot
If this is the case ,he reckoned the rod would usually snap the first time it was stressed. I actually had that happen and took it back the day after I brought it and the BFF bloke had the rep in the store . He showed me where the hot spot was. I just nodded politely. Som think if you get a new rod give it a good try out straight after purchase, may chuck some big lures about. If it breaks 6 months down the track it's probably user error.

I am with kev, been very very happy with the raider series except the cork falls apart.
grinner
Legend of AKFF
Legend of AKFF

Kayak: hobie revo

Postby punchanello » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 am

grinner wrote:I actually had that happen and took it back the day after I brought it and the BFF bloke had the rep in the store.

That's what happened to me. Took it back the exact same day and they wouldn't replace it. 12 months on it snapped again because I looked at it funny.
punchanello
Valued Member

Postby premium » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

BrettoQLD wrote:Picked up a new bream stick last night. Went the 1-3kg Pflueger Trion. Man is it light.

Yeah i've got one of those, been loving it, nice and light and great for bream and general estuary fishing. Even got the Fuji brand guides, and only 110 bucks or so.
Bream - silver trevally - flathead - salmon - pike - squid - Luderick - Kingfish - snapper
premium

Postby onemorecast » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:06 am

BigGee wrote:
premium wrote:
BrettoQLD wrote:Picked up a new bream stick last night. Went the 1-3kg Pflueger Trion. Man is it light.

Yeah i've got one of those, been loving it, nice and light and great for bream and general estuary fishing. Even got the Fuji brand guides, and only 110 bucks or so.

Me too and love it - good thing. The end doesn't come flying off like Lox rods either!

got 2 Pfluegars 1-3 KG Trions and have had one for some time. Nice & light. Got the last one for $80 abotu a year ago which I thought was a pretty fair price.
Eric

Yellow PA 12
onemorecast
Elite Member

Kayak: Hobie PA 12

Postby jb2020 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:34 pm

+1 for raider II.
When I bought it, I put a few coats of 'tru oil' into the cork (gun stock oil) - after a few years and many a bream, the cork is as good as gold. I also clean it after every trip.

grinner wrote:I am with kev, been very very happy with the raider series except the cork falls apart.
jb2020

Kayak: rover

Postby Thefishy1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Hay guys I like samarki I think thats how they spell it one of the best rods on the market but there r so meany go to the shop and pick them up that's the only way to find what u like. Remember u get what u pay for go samarki.
Thefishy1

Kayak: pro angler

Postby Perro » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Whats your budget?
Cheers Jordan
Perro

Kayak: Popes Canoe

Postby millonario » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 am

I don't really like the reels out on the market at the moment (and by that I mean the price of them) as I'm more of a "wait till they start to run out the model before purchasing high quality gear type of guy", so the Ci4 1000FML which keeps being recommended to me can wait till late next year. However, I did need something to run on this stick so I went for the budget Shimano Aernos 1000FA (aesthetically the poor mans Ci4 :lol: ). It'll do the job for me I'm sure and it didn't break the bank. Plus it hasn't been panned in reviews which is always nice, yet not completely conclusive.

I'm going to use the Ci4 on my Trion for a while untill the next time I shop for fishing gear under the influence :lol:

Great rods in my opinion. So light and they take a beating too.
Cheers,

Dan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
- John Buchan
millonario
Valued Member

Kayak: Extreme Fish Bandit

Postby GregL » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 pm

I did a bit of testing with the lure project rods during design and they are damn nice rods, with exceptional value for money. Plenty to choose from - a great place to start looking.
Hobie Cat Australasia
2009 BREAM Kayak Series AOY
2010 BREAM Kayak Series AOY
2011 BREAM Kayak Series AOY
Hobie Factory Team Member
Millerods Team Member
http://www.hobiecat.com.au
http://www.hobiefishing.com.au
http://www.millerods.com.au
GregL
Elite Member

Kayak: Pro Angler Revo Lanai.

Postby millonario » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:29 am

punchanello wrote:
grinner wrote:I actually had that happen and took it back the day after I brought it and the BFF bloke had the rep in the store.

That's what happened to me. Took it back the exact same day and they wouldn't replace it. 12 months on it snapped again because I looked at it funny.

You failed to mention that your Lox is now shorter than it used to be... ;-)
Cheers,

Dan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
- John Buchan
millonario
Valued Member

Kayak: Extreme Fish Bandit

Previous

Return to Fishing Gear